The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• WATCHMEN. (anticipate)

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #132409  by Mental
 Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:50 pm
Dear GOD.

It looks FLAWLESS. I have had TEARS in my eyes TWICE JUST watching the trailer.

I may have to wear sunglasses when I go in and have other people wondering why I'm the dude in a black coat and sunglasses watching with a sad smile and tears rolling down my cheeks.

#132414  by Zeus
 Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:32 pm
And I thought M&M was still active...
 #132415  by kali o.
 Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:41 pm
Replay wrote: I may have to wear sunglasses when I go in and have other people wondering why I'm the dude in a black coat and sunglasses watching with a sad smile and tears rolling down my cheeks.
So am I the only one that pictured him gunning down the theater 3 seconds later? Be honest.

#132425  by Mental
 Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:40 pm
Anyone else going to try to make it opening day?

#132427  by Chris
 Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:34 pm
it's good. the changes to the ending do change the overall feel and I can't wait to see it with all the effects and audio thrown in. there are a lot of small changes but it does a good job of making it all work. I can't wait to see the ully finished product.

#132428  by Zeus
 Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:13 pm
Replay wrote:Anyone else going to try to make it opening day?
Probably opening weekend. Looks neat and my bud is a huge fan of the comic so I promised I'd go with him

#132429  by Chris
 Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:15 pm
Zeus wrote:
Probably opening weekend. Looks neat and my bud is a huge fan of the comic so I promised I'd go with him
you should kick the gray one in the balls for me if you see him again.....fucker needs to get back into communication range

#132430  by bovine
 Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:31 pm
My girlfriend would accept no less.

#132431  by Zeus
 Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:00 pm
Chris wrote:
Zeus wrote:
you should kick the gray one in the balls for me if you see him again.....fucker needs to get back into communication range
I've hardly talked to him in the last year. He's becoming more and more of a hermit. I may drag him out with us to this movie.

#132434  by Chris
 Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:33 pm
is he still working for daddy? or has he finally moved on?

#132440  by SineSwiper
 Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:44 am
Opening day, definately!

#132445  by Tessian
 Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:04 am
I don't think I'll be able to stand trying to get in opening weekend... but last night I did warn my gf that she was going to see it with me. My mom and best friend are still reading the book too.

#132446  by Lox
 Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:12 am
This will be a midnight showing for me no questions asked. I'm already planning on pre-purchasing the midnight showing tickets 2 weeks early and getting there at least 2 hours early to get good seats. I am stoked for this.

#132449  by Chris
 Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:25 am
Lox wrote:This will be a midnight showing for me no questions asked. I'm already planning on pre-purchasing the midnight showing tickets 2 weeks early and getting there at least 2 hours early to get good seats. I am stoked for this.
I love me some san francisco....I'll let you guys know how the finished version is.

MUAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Bitches!

or at least I hope there will be an event at wondercon for the newest nerd movies like there has been for a long while. I loved seeing V half a year before anyone else who didn't get a bracelet at the show. but yeah.....tacos

#132450  by Zeus
 Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:48 am
Chris wrote:is he still working for daddy? or has he finally moved on?
Not 100% sure. Last time I talked to him at length was about 6 months ago or so and he still was. But he had finished a bartending course so I'm not sure if he's moved on

#132655  by Lox
 Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:14 pm
A preview of the Black Freighter animation that will be included on the DVD. Gerard Butler provides the voice of the main character.

*drooooool*

#132734  by SineSwiper
 Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:22 am
I actually skipped the Black Freighter when I was reading it, because it really screwed up the pace of things, and I just wanted to get on with the main story. Of course, there's a lot of optional material in the whole thing.

#132740  by Tessian
 Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:58 am
I read it but didn't like it... definitely killed the pacing. Felt like I was being punished for finishing a chapter

#132744  by Lox
 Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:17 am
Go back and read the Black Freighter stuff now, losers!

There was a point to all of it, at least from a literary stance. I didn't feel like it killed the pacing at all really. It reads pretty quick. This is why this book is considered as great as it is. The events in TBF are supposed to shadow the life of Adrian Veidt.

#132748  by Chris
 Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:29 am
all the text pieces are integral to the story. all of them. if you skip them it makes watchmen a relatively generic book. if you read them (Which I hadn't in the past) it's what makes it a masterpiece. that and the perfectly symetrical issue...

#132749  by Lox
 Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:36 am
Chris wrote:that and the perfectly symetrical issue...
Yeah, that was a cool issue.

#132757  by Shellie
 Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:50 pm
I really liked the TBF story...gah I cant wait!! lol

#132794  by RentCavalier
 Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:46 am
The Black Freighter was sick as fuck. I loved it just stand-alone. A bad-ass pirate comic? HELLZ YEAH.

#132798  by Lox
 Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:17 am
Have you ever read why Alan Moore chose a pirate comic for the internal story? It was because he figured that in a world where superheroes and vigilantes were the norm (and hated), that people wouldn't buy comics based on them. So science fiction and pirate-based stories would be popular.

#132809  by RentCavalier
 Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:45 pm
Lox wrote:Have you ever read why Alan Moore chose a pirate comic for the internal story? It was because he figured that in a world where superheroes and vigilantes were the norm (and hated), that people wouldn't buy comics based on them. So science fiction and pirate-based stories would be popular.
I did read that, actually. Makes sense.

#132843  by SineSwiper
 Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:22 pm
Chris wrote:all the text pieces are integral to the story. all of them. if you skip them it makes watchmen a relatively generic book. if you read them (Which I hadn't in the past) it's what makes it a masterpiece. that and the perfectly symetrical issue...
But, the pacing. Seriously. It REALLY fucks up the pacing! It's like they were saying: "Sorry, I know you really want to know what's going to happen after that AWESOME cliffhanger, but we're going to force feed you this really wordy 20-page material. You could skip it, but then we would label you as one of those assholes who only reads half the book just to get to the ending."

After a while, I just didn't care. I WANTED TO SEE WHAT HAPPENED TO DR. MANHATTAN, or any of the number of other cliffhangers. Sure, maybe in a second reading, but not when you haven't read it before.

#132875  by Kupek
 Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:56 am
I actually like that about comics which have lots of writing. The first read through you perhaps rush through things because you want to find out what happens. But during the subsequent read-throughs, you "discover" that there's so much more to the story, and I love that feeling of discovery.

The Dark Knight Returns has lots of text in some places, and even though it was dialogue, I skipped over it either intentionally (for the news reports) or unintentionally. During re-reads, I found out more about the story. (Please, please, please can we not derail this into a DKR or Frank Miller thread.)

In Kingdom Come, I actually missed a lot of art. The panels with many people have lots going on, and if you read it at even a normal pace, you'll miss out on some subtle looks or things in the background.

Although for Watchmen, I read it slowly over the course of a week or two, so I actually read all of that stuff in order. But I think it's just as good of a comic experience to read it through quickly once, then come back to it after a week or a month to read it more closely.

#132909  by Mental
 Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:47 am
Kingdom Come still ranks as the most spiritual-artistic comic experience I've ever had. It was almost like finding God. Alex Ross is one of my heroes, and yes, there is a LOT going on in those panels.

Anyone else catch Raggedy Ann/Andy peeking out from one of the panels of the detention gulag in the two-page view of it in that book? xD

I think I'm going to close my eyes and envision a wonderful universe in which Alex Ross gets to draw a sequel to Watchmen...

#132911  by Chris
 Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:43 am
Replay wrote:Kingdom Come still ranks as the most spiritual-artistic comic experience I've ever had. It was almost like finding God. Alex Ross is one of my heroes, and yes, there is a LOT going on in those panels.

Anyone else catch Raggedy Ann/Andy peeking out from one of the panels of the detention gulag in the two-page view of it in that book? xD

I think I'm going to close my eyes and envision a wonderful universe in which Alex Ross gets to draw a sequel to Watchmen...
Ragdoll. His name is Ragdoll.

#132913  by Mental
 Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:00 pm
Your mom's name is Ragdoll.

#132928  by SineSwiper
 Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:02 am
Too bad you have to see everything in slo-mo all the time. I think Zack needs to learn moderation in the slo-mo action scenes.

#132965  by Mental
 Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:46 am
Yeah, I wasn't really impressed by the fighting scenes so far.

This is all forgiven because of the scene where Dr. Manhattan falls into the reactor, and the scene on Mars or the moon or wherever it is where he builds the clockwork structure out of nothing, though....(I loaned my copy of Watchmen to my cousin or I'd check which it was)...holy BALLS, that looks cool.

#132968  by Lox
 Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:28 am
The slow-mo doesn't really bother me. It feels right for these types of fights. At least you can see what's going on. Movies like Batman would lose something if you slowed the fighting down, but I think this over-the-top comic book action blends well with it.

#133019  by Mental
 Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:24 am
I heard Alan Moore took his name off the credits.

Not terribly worried about it, because so far it's got an 89% at Rotten Tomatoes and most of the reviews are glowing.

What do you all think about this? Is it reflective of a downgrade in the quality of the plot, or is Moore just being a bitchy, over-elitist writer?

#133020  by Kupek
 Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:47 am
Alan Moore did the same with V for Vendetta. Since I liked that movie, Moore retracting his name from Watchmen doesn't change my expectations.

#133021  by Lox
 Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:01 am
Alan Moore hates Hollywood. He has a very bad view of the way they treat his work. I can't really blame him because Hollywood is a pretty despicable place nowadays. However, I think he'd pull his name no matter how the final product turned out so I'm not worried. I am really expecting to love this movie. I just hope the ending holds up as well as the comic ending. That's my only worry at this point.

#133022  by Mental
 Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:57 am
Yeah, I'm curious about that too, but to be honest the ending in the comic mostly pissed me off and had me feeling disgusting about ALL the characters by the end of the book, which still somehow didn't detract from it in the least - I'd like to know how Watchmen did that, since usually, if I hate the ending to something, I hate the work in question. This time, I hated the ending while still loving just about everything about the book, because by the time the ending took place it had already made me think so much that I was doomed to love it. Ironically, my favorite characters are fast becoming the Comedian and Rorschach, which is odd because I'm generally one of the least right-wing people on Earth.

Every time I look at my calendar, the number of days to release date is still too long...

#133076  by RentCavalier
 Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:59 am
Yeah, I'm just really concerned over what exactly they could replace the squid with.

#133077  by Chris
 Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:03 am
Kupek wrote:Alan Moore did the same with V for Vendetta. Since I liked that movie, Moore retracting his name from Watchmen doesn't change my expectations.
alan moore doesn't want his name n any of the movies made from his books. he also doesn't take any money from them either. he never has

#133079  by RentCavalier
 Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:08 am
Chris wrote:
Kupek wrote:Alan Moore did the same with V for Vendetta. Since I liked that movie, Moore retracting his name from Watchmen doesn't change my expectations.
alan moore doesn't want his name n any of the movies made from his books. he also doesn't take any money from them either. he never has
And I respect him for this, although he does miss out on some fuckin' mad movie money though.

#133080  by Lox
 Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:11 am
RentCavalier wrote:Yeah, I'm just really concerned over what exactly they could replace the squid with.
I already know what it is. I'm just waiting to see it before I make my final decision.

#133081  by RentCavalier
 Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:28 am
Lox wrote:
RentCavalier wrote:Yeah, I'm just really concerned over what exactly they could replace the squid with.
I already know what it is. I'm just waiting to see it before I make my final decision.
Will you not share this sagely wisdom?

#133083  by Lox
 Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:09 am
I didn't want to spoil it accidentally. I'll post it here in between the giant spoiler tags.

SPOILER
Instead of dropping an interdimensional squid on NY, Ozymandias sets off a series of targeted nuclear explosions such that they appear to be caused by Dr. Manhattan. So instead of the world joining together against an alien threat, they join together with Dr. M as the "enemy". Kind of the same basic principle, but it changes things a bit. I'm curious to see how it feels when you actually watch it.
END SPOILER

#133101  by RentCavalier
 Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:57 pm
Lox wrote:I didn't want to spoil it accidentally. I'll post it here in between the giant spoiler tags.

SPOILER
Instead of dropping an interdimensional squid on NY, Ozymandias sets off a series of targeted nuclear explosions such that they appear to be caused by Dr. Manhattan. So instead of the world joining together against an alien threat, they join together with Dr. M as the "enemy". Kind of the same basic principle, but it changes things a bit. I'm curious to see how it feels when you actually watch it.
END SPOILER
What?

That's retarded. I know a giant squid isn't exactly the most realistic thing, but...that's a REALLY radical change, especially...

Hrmmmmmph.

I'll have to see how it is, I guess.

#133229  by Sassafras
 Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:47 pm
So this week NBC is showing video profiles of all the Watchmen characters. I just watched one while trying to catch up on Heroes. I havent watched it in awhile so I have no idea whats going on. Anyway just had to share this news and my fav quote about said profiles. From iwatchstuff.com:

"By Friday, you'll know so much about these heroes that you won't even need Teen Beat's "Which Watchmen Do You Kiss Most Like?" quiz to discern that I definitely kiss like The Comedian (rough but funny and flirty)."

Go here if you want to watch the clips. http://www.nbc.com/watchmen/

#133230  by bovine
 Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:05 pm
Sassafras wrote:So this week NBC is showing video profiles of all the Watchmen characters. I just watched one while trying to catch up on Heroes. I havent watched it in awhile so I have no idea whats going on. Anyway just had to share this news and my fav quote about said profiles. From iwatchstuff.com:

"By Friday, you'll know so much about these heroes that you won't even need Teen Beat's "Which Watchmen Do You Kiss Most Like?" quiz to discern that I definitely kiss like The Comedian (rough but funny and flirty)."

Go here if you want to watch the clips. http://www.nbc.com/watchmen/
R U a bot from NBC?

#133231  by Chris
 Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:08 pm
you know what's awesome. I-max. A bit like sex with a comic. I loved it I loved every second of it and I would highly recommend it to poeple who like tacos

#133249  by Shellie
 Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:47 am
I preordered our tickets for this Friday at the IMAX theater..cant wait!!

#133253  by Mental
 Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:40 am
Oh, balls. IMAX. I got to see if it's playing at the L.A. IMAX. Might be worth the trip.