The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Rescue Me

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #133210  by Imakeholesinu
 Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:33 pm
I watched the first season over the weekend and I have to say it is not that bad a show. I'm about half way into the next season and I have to say it was a show I definitely did not give enough credit when it first came out. Anyone else watch this?

#133228  by Shrinweck
 Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:29 pm
Yeah I've seen all the episodes - can't wait for the new season to start. The mini-episodes they put out because of the writers strike were good, too.

The show manages to tackle some fairly complicated topics without making itself too campy.

#133245  by Julius Seeker
 Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:38 am
That's the other new series of the first half of the decade that I like besides House; now there's also a few historic dramas that I enjoy as well from recent years.
 #146552  by Anarky
 Thu May 20, 2010 6:12 pm
Going to bring back a dead thread...

My Girlfriend and I finished the 1st season a few days ago and are a few episodes into the 2nd. We both really like the show.

We were dying last night when Probie shot the cat and they take it into the Vet.

Denis Leary wrote a role where he gets to be himself, can't beat that.
 #146555  by Zeus
 Thu May 20, 2010 6:26 pm
I just finished Season 5 about 3 weeks ago. The show is pretty solid the first couple of seasons but then for Season 3 and 4, it's trying to find itself, trying to figure out what to do. Those seasons are a bit of a drag but Season 5 is pretty good....aside from the very strange ending which may have a very large (and possibly) damaging effect on the rest of the show. It looks like it's only gonna have two more half seasons (Battlestar-like) and end on the 10th anniversary of 9/11 so I hope Leary has thought it through to the end and it goes well.
 #146584  by Shrinweck
 Fri May 21, 2010 5:50 pm
Leary is a genius and loves the show way too much to mess it up this far into the game.
 #146645  by Imakeholesinu
 Mon May 24, 2010 3:17 pm
I liked the first half of Season 5 but the second half just left me like...."When the fuck is this going to end?" Also, when the fuck do they fight fires? The show has just turned itself halfway into Always Sunny some episodes and other times it is dark and twisted. I'll take it episode by episode now but I hope this doesn't turn into Nip/Tuck which has completely gone off the deep end.
 #146653  by Shrinweck
 Mon May 24, 2010 9:26 pm
I think there are just as many scenes with them fighting fires a lot of the time, not including the second part of season five. But unless something important to the story is happening or Leary is feeling preachy about fire fighters being heroes it's always just been mostly implied. Plus those scenes probably cost a lot more money then FX is usually willing to put towards a budget.

But it's being written with an end date in mind so it will either start to establish a direction or turn into a pile of dog shit, so here's hoping.