The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• interesting week for manga update

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #133515  by Don
 Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:36 pm
Well they didn't necessarily all happened this week but I become aware of them this week so that's good enough for me. The first big news is that Prince of Tennis returns as New Prince of Tennis (seriously) on a monthly serial. I think PoT feel threatened by emerging new sports manga like Eyeshield 21 taking its place as the most ridiculous sports manga ever. So far in part 1 we only have Tezuka serving and hit 3 plastic can with one ball (he hit one and the can knocked two more down) which is obviously child's play when dealing with PoT, but I'm sure the author is just getting warned up. I still expect to see the first death caused by a tennis ball from PoT soon.

I also found that Twin Heroes 2 has a sequel called Ultimate Heroes or something like that. When you pirate manga and stuff they usually just say like 'for educational purposes only, delete after 24 hours, blah blah blah'. Well in the case of Twin Heroes you can actually believe it really is for educational purposes only since you can't even buy this stuff. Heck people don't even want to pirate this stuff. The art is always surprising good while the story is probably written by a three year old. I pretty much just get this to look at the pictures, though it also tests the limits of stupidity.

In other manga news, One Piece this week was worse than the fake info from last week (there was no OP last week). I call this the Naruto test, that when the fake stuff is better than the real stuff you're in big trouble. The last two arcs in OP has been the worst in OP's history for sure. There's no logic or sense to anything that's going on. Luffy might as well be fighting 3 Admirals and the 4 Emperors at the same time. I think right now the story is at something like ridiculous to the fourth power right now. Just how many times can he get hit by the stuff that disables Devil Fruits and then mysteriously have that stuff destroyed by friendly fire, again and again and again?

Speaking of Naruto, this week in Naruto we managed to get through without someone dying or at least appear to be dying. I guess that's a plus. It's also good to see that the author remembered that 9 Tails is supposed to be powerful.

On a similar note, Eyeshield 21 got through this week without anyone dying either. And yes this is supposed to be about American Football. This week's dialogue sounds more like a demonic ritual summoning when Bud said Monta is the closest man to the Pentagram. So far the Pentagram hasn't killed anybody yet but that probably won't last long. Remember that American Football is all about killing the other team because if the other team is dead, you obviously win!

For Bleach, we ended this week with Ichigo supposedly about to die yet again. This means we probably will just move the battlefield elsewhere for the next 5 months before resuming, or maybe a flashback arc, or anything that isn't related to what's currently going on.

#133521  by Zeus
 Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:38 pm
Now I'm only on the anime, but isn't Bleach DRAGGING right now? The Vizard history is great and all but man, this anime is moving along at a snails pace.

#133522  by Eric
 Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:52 pm
Zeus wrote:Now I'm only on the anime, but isn't Bleach DRAGGING right now? The Vizard history is great and all but man, this anime is moving along at a snails pace.
Bleach drags regardless of the format. Be happy it stopped with some of it's ridiculous filter.

I also have no idea why the heck Naruto feels the need to do so much filter when the anime is like 2-3 years behind the manga at this point.

#133524  by Don
 Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:54 pm
I think Bleach redefines what it means to be dragging. About an year ago they did this spell that was supposed to hold Aizen off for 'a short time' so they can take care of his minions. One year later they're not even halfway done with this arc while Aizen is still trapped for 'a short time'.

#133525  by Zeus
 Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:12 pm
Don wrote:I think Bleach redefines what it means to be dragging. About an year ago they did this spell that was supposed to hold Aizen off for 'a short time' so they can take care of his minions. One year later they're not even halfway done with this arc while Aizen is still trapped for 'a short time'.
We're gonna have to work on this spoiler thing....

#133526  by Zeus
 Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:15 pm
Eric wrote:
Zeus wrote:Now I'm only on the anime, but isn't Bleach DRAGGING right now? The Vizard history is great and all but man, this anime is moving along at a snails pace.
Bleach drags regardless of the format. Be happy it stopped with some of it's ridiculous filter.

I also have no idea why the heck Naruto feels the need to do so much filter when the anime is like 2-3 years behind the manga at this point.
What, you didn't like Lurichiyo and the soccer game? :-)

It's no secret they're milking Naruto for all it's worth. Isn't it STILL the most popular show for kids?

The worst thing is the intertwining of filler with real arcs. Right now they're in pure filler with this Guren arc but they've often just done inner-ep filler (remember Team Gai fighting their clones? Holy FUCK did that drag) which is worse. At least with pure filler the tone is more over the top and you can really tell. With inner-ep filler it just drags and its irritating.

#133528  by Don
 Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:23 pm
Zeus wrote:
Don wrote:I think Bleach redefines what it means to be dragging. About an year ago they did this spell that was supposed to hold Aizen off for 'a short time' so they can take care of his minions. One year later they're not even halfway done with this arc while Aizen is still trapped for 'a short time'.
So it never occured to you they'd fight Aizen at some point?

#133529  by Eric
 Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:25 pm
Zeus wrote:
I think you'll live. :P

#133530  by Zeus
 Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:58 pm
Don wrote:
Zeus wrote:
Did I know they were going to trap him based on what's in the anime so far?

#133532  by Flip
 Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:59 pm
Zeus wrote:
Don wrote:
Zeus wrote: We're gonna have to work on this spoiler thing....
I thought the subject said manga?

#133533  by Eric
 Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:14 pm
Zeus wrote:
Don wrote:
Zeus wrote: We're gonna have to work on this spoiler thing....
Holding him off isn't the same as trapping him. :P

#133534  by Tessian
 Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:39 pm
Fuck you Don... this is why I stopped going into your anime threads. Those are definite spoilers and so unappreciated.

#133536  by Eric
 Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:56 pm
Tessian wrote:Fuck you Don... this is why I stopped going into your anime threads. Those are definite spoilers and so unappreciated.
1) You're really overreacting, as "Zomg Aizen is trapped" is hardly a storybreaking spoiler, especially when you don't even know the details/context of that.

2) He did say it was the MANGA UPDATES FOR THIS WEEK thread, which means if you read the manga for these popular series this week you'd know what he's talking about.

#133539  by Don
 Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:12 pm
Unless this is like the first Anime you've ever seen, I assume it's common sense that people should know you always go through all the bad guy's henchman before you get to fight him.

It just happens with Bleach a couple years must have passed between the time they first started the battle to when they actually got to Aizen since it drags for way too long. Even if you're watching the Anime you should notice 'a short time' lasts very long in the world of Bleach, on the order of months of real life time if not years.

#133541  by Anarky
 Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:26 pm
Naruto has been good for awhile, I'm curious to see what comes after this arc.

#133568  by Zeus
 Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:22 pm
Anarky wrote:Naruto has been good for awhile, I'm curious to see what comes after this arc.
Yeah, even the filler ain't as putrid as the old filler. But I can't wait 'til they get back to non-filler, that was going real good before they changed gears