The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• More Watchmen reviews

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.

#133388  by Lox
 Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:41 am
Saw it. Loved it.

I tried to stay pretty spoiler free. I don't mention any specifics below.

This is a great adaptation of the book. By that I mean that it manages to capture the overall story and theme very faithfully. It includes many, many scenes from the comic verbatim and they are some very important scenes. It doesn't capture some of the more subtle nuances of the characters as well, but that's understandable in the limited time it has. What time it did have was put to good use, imo.

The Comedian and Rohrshach definitely steal their scenes. I loved every scene with the Comedian. I thought that casting was dead on. It gave me a new look on the character actually.

Having seen the whole movie and the ending now, I can say that I'm cool with it. I think that when you guys see the movie in its entirety you'll understand. There are parts that are just out there if you're not totally familiar with the book. When Dr. Manhattan goes to Mars, I can see that as just being bizarre to most of the audience. The new ending does a good job of keeping the same overall feel, but it reigns in the outlandishness of some of the earlier scenes.

#133390  by RentCavalier
 Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:51 am
I saw it, but what I have to say includes spoilers, so I'll wait till tomorrow or the day after.

Will say that Night Owl is absolutely perfect. The only performance that I can't at all offer any criticism to.

Rorsharch was done pretty truthfully, though I think they made him out to be a lot crazier in demeanor than the book does--although I may just be crazy. XP

Laurie Jupiter...well, I hate how they did her, but I understand why. You'll see, I guess, but by the end, she's far far more shallow of a character than she is in the book.

#133402  by Lox
 Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:10 am
He's pretty crazy in the book. All of the short sentences and paranoia. The way he interacts with the psychiatrist. I thought they toned down the craziness a bit. haha

#133422  by RentCavalier
 Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:21 pm
Yes, but in the book he seems far calmer. More collected--he is crazy, and they did capture his wry sense of humor really well, but they took away his composure. He's more entertaining now, though.

#133423  by Lox
 Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:25 pm
You'll have to give me examples where they took away his composure in the movie, because I can't think of any that also didn't occur in the comic. The only ones I can think of are when he was captured by the police and at the very end, but he lost it both of those times in the comic, too.

#133424  by RentCavalier
 Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:29 pm
During the police raid, his whole freak out--going "no no no" and all that (which was done very well). In the comic he freaks out, gathers some shit, and then calms down. He stands upright in a doorframe, hand calmly in a pocket, totally chill. And then he says "when you are".

Scene plays out differently in the movie. He never really collects himself in the flick.

#133426  by Lox
 Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:45 pm
See my response in bovine's post. :)

#133436  by Sassafras
 Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:40 pm
So Bovine and I just got back from the movie theatre and in case you were wondering who watches the watchmen, it wasn't fucking us!!!!!!!! During the trailers things went to black in which a funny nerd proclaimed "Lets tear this place apart!" Best part of the night sadly. So it came back just in time for Terminator trailer which looked awesome. So movie starts and guess what happens??? It goes to black. So much nerd rage!!! The picture returns however we have missed part of beginning sequence. We watch the Comedian get beat up and right before he goes through the window.....BLACK. I left the theatre and asked two teenage boy employees what the fuck was going on. They said they couldnt rewind it so tough shit. We then waited in a long ass line for our refund. I have never been so full of nerd rage in my life!! We showed up early and waited in line to get a good seat, bought expensive popcorn and what do we get? The worst movie experience of all time. So you will have to wait for our critique of the film, we are hopefully going sunday night. Now we go drink....beer will make things somewhat better.

#133449  by Shellie
 Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:41 am
Oh wow..that completely sucks. I hope they gave you more than just a refund!!!

#133451  by SineSwiper
 Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:50 am
Sassafras wrote:The worst movie experience of all time. So you will have to wait for our critique of the film, we are hopefully going sunday night. Now we go drink....beer will make things somewhat better.
I would not go there for the Sunday night viewing. Fuckers need to be punished for that kind of screw up.

#133480  by Chris
 Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:26 pm
gotta say, best opening credits ever

#133544  by Mental
 Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:32 pm
http://www.variety.com/article/VR111800 ... Id=13&cs=1

It took in a healthy $55.7 million over the weekend, so I'm happy. I hope it holds up next week.

I personally liked it an awful lot, almost loved it, though I did feel like it *occasionally* dragged on.

I think Snyder went a little over the top with the fighting scenes only because it seemed like every blow had to visibly shatter a part of someone's body to the point where you saw the bone stick out and blood erupt from seven places. I felt like it worked in "300" because it was important to show something close to realistic battle wounds from an ancient war (which are utterly gruesome and terrible), but here I thnk it was the main thing that made it drag. The best analogy would be if the graphic novel had an extra panel showing someone's utterly maimed flesh after every blow.

And WHOA, boy, was it full of explicit sex and naked people. I was almost shocked they got away with an R, after showing Doc Manhattan's ding-dong in nearly every scene and having Silk Spectre naked and getting it on something like three times and Nite Owl once. I think I saw more naked man-ass than I ever expected to see in my life in that film, it was up there with the hotel room sequence in Borat.

I do have to say, though, that gratuitous as it may have been, Malin Akerman's willingness to do a full-on sex scene did *not* go unappreciated. Maybe that makes me a bad person, but holy shit, that almost made me want to go look for a new girlfriend or something.

The strangest thing of all was that some people had, like, their five-year-old kids with them in the theater. I remember looking around the theatre while the Nite Owl/Silk Spectre sex scene went on going, "You bring your preschoolers to this?"

#133545  by Lox
 Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:52 pm
Replay wrote:The strangest thing of all was that some people had, like, their five-year-old kids with them in the theater. I remember looking around the theatre while the Nite Owl/Silk Spectre sex scene went on going, "You bring your preschoolers to this?"
Some parents are idiots.

#133546  by bovine
 Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:48 pm
I liked it.

#133550  by Mental
 Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:44 am
Lox wrote:
Replay wrote:The strangest thing of all was that some people had, like, their five-year-old kids with them in the theater. I remember looking around the theatre while the Nite Owl/Silk Spectre sex scene went on going, "You bring your preschoolers to this?"
Some parents are idiots.
Aren't the ushers supposed to notice when you have a theater showing an R-rated movie that's also full of urchins too? I suppose I could always replace "parents" with "ushers"...

Oh, well. At least the kids won't hit adolescence shocked and horrified at how much they were lied to about sex, like I was. It's like getting an early start on sex ed. :P

#133563  by Shellie
 Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:10 pm
Replay wrote: Oh, well. At least the kids won't hit adolescence shocked and horrified at how much they were lied to about sex, like I was. It's like getting an early start on sex ed. :P
LOL my parents never told me anything about sex. I had HBO in my room, and remember watching Clockwork Orange as a little kid.

#133575  by Louis
 Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:15 pm
My parents left sex ed up to the public school system. You got it once in the sixth grade and again as a Freshman in Kentucky.

For my first few years of college, my mother pushed using a condom.

Now she wants to know why she doesn't have any grandchildren at this point and I'm pushing 30. She doesn't care about marriage or anything, she just wants a bundle of joy. My brother maintains its some sort of divine intervention. I think I'm just sterile from taking to many shots to the balls during my eight year football career (3 years in middle school, 4 years in high school, and one year at an NAIA college before I decided I was bored with it) without wearing a protective "cup".

#133590  by SineSwiper
 Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:36 pm
Seraphina wrote:LOL my parents never told me anything about sex. I had HBO in my room, and remember watching Clockwork Orange as a little kid.
Best. Sex. Scene. Ever. Made.

There's just something about watching a threesome in fast-forward speed while the William Tell Overture is in the background.

Also, to stay on topic, I agree with Chris on the intro. It was one of the best ways to cover all of that history, and it was an effective use of slow-mo (which he is so famous for using).

Music & Movies is BACK AGAIN! Yay!

#133647  by SineSwiper
 Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:02 am
What the hell does this have to do with anything?

#133654  by bovine
 Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:15 am
watchmen ad in videogame. I thought it was poignant.