The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Eminem - Relapse

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #136184  by Eric
 Sat May 09, 2009 4:55 pm
Damn good Album.

Aside from the 2 singles that came out, and actually feel totally out of place on the album, I enjoyed it a lot, listened to it from beginning to end.

#136186  by SineSwiper
 Sat May 09, 2009 5:02 pm
He's really hit and miss with me, but then again, I'm really selective about my rap. Fort Minor was a damn good album, BTW.

#136188  by Mental
 Sat May 09, 2009 5:58 pm
I will have to take another look. The singles had put me off the album prior to reading this. That song with Jessica Simpson...not so good. And "Crack a Bottle" is okay but not really up to Em's caliber...

#136221  by Imakeholesinu
 Sun May 10, 2009 10:08 pm
I think I'm spoiled by The Marshall Mathers LP. He was just so angry and that's what made it so great. I may give this one a try but I'm still looking for him to channel that magic he had back then.

#137035  by Mental
 Thu May 28, 2009 8:29 am
Eric, I am forced to respectfully disagree with you. This album is shit.

I can't put my finger on it, but he doesn't sound angry enough anymore. I don't know why I and others are so down with Em when he's hitting the rageahol, and not otherwise, but this album just bugged. It sounds like he's trying too hard.

And Jessica Simpson for the single? Really? She's cute, but he built his career on attacking the shallower side of pop music, and that just seemed commercial.

I'm having premonitions of medocrity about Detox too. Nothing could live up to that hype and Dre's verse on Em's single was passable at best. :P

#137036  by Mental
 Thu May 28, 2009 8:32 am
I'm listening to classic Em right now, and he just doesn't have what he had on "Without Me". Something's missing.

#137040  by Shellie
 Thu May 28, 2009 9:34 am
A coworker I think was listening to it yesterday, and I swore it sounded like a cat in agony...

#137042  by Julius Seeker
 Thu May 28, 2009 11:48 am
Dre takes his time on things. This isn't good in the rap world. By the time he released 2001, half of the people who he was responding to had already been dead for 5 years. Acting the part of a gangster is hard! =P

#137054  by SineSwiper
 Thu May 28, 2009 8:03 pm
Replay wrote:I'm listening to classic Em right now, and he just doesn't have what he had on "Without Me". Something's missing.
Heh, that's one of the few songs I like from him. White America's another good one. Hmmm, maybe that one song with Dido, and The Real Slim Shady.
Good Seek Hunting wrote:Dre takes his time on things. This isn't good in the rap world. By the time he released 2001, half of the people who he was responding to had already been dead for 5 years. Acting the part of a gangster is hard! =P
What the hell does Dre have to do with Em? Are they married or something? Maybe ICP was right and they are fucking each other in the ass right now.

#137064  by RentCavalier
 Fri May 29, 2009 4:26 am
SineSwiper wrote:
Replay wrote:I'm listening to classic Em right now, and he just doesn't have what he had on "Without Me". Something's missing.
Heh, that's one of the few songs I like from him. White America's another good one. Hmmm, maybe that one song with Dido, and The Real Slim Shady.
Good Seek Hunting wrote:Dre takes his time on things. This isn't good in the rap world. By the time he released 2001, half of the people who he was responding to had already been dead for 5 years. Acting the part of a gangster is hard! =P
What the hell does Dre have to do with Em? Are they married or something? Maybe ICP was right and they are fucking each other in the ass right now.
Like ICP has ANY right to talk shit about the motherfuckin' Doctor Dre, those god-damned backwoods hillbilly white-trash shitstains.

#137065  by Julius Seeker
 Fri May 29, 2009 6:18 am
Eminem and Dre work together; same with Snoop and Dre. I am not sure if they're even friends. Eminem has his band too, D12.

Dre has been dissed by everyone out there over the past 15-20 years or so; mostly suspicion that he is homosexual (his old album covers I think are the main source of that), that he is not real (an actor, a studio gangster), that he rips off people who work for him, and that he has a lot of white friends and raps for a white market.

#137067  by SineSwiper
 Fri May 29, 2009 6:45 am
RentCavalier wrote:Like ICP has ANY right to talk shit about the motherfuckin' Doctor Dre, those god-damned backwoods hillbilly white-trash shitstains.
Well, if Eminem didn't talk shit about them, ICP would have left them alone. Besides, "Eminem Ain't Nothing But a Bitch" is a funny song, as is most of their stuff.

#137092  by Julius Seeker
 Sat May 30, 2009 10:55 am
Here's a brief history on some tracks dissing Dre:

No Vaseline Was an attack on Dre and NWA after he left the band in 1991. Dre offered no effective response.

Shortly after Eazy E left, and him being the key player in the band marked the end of it.
Dre Day In 1993 Dre launched this attack on Eazy E with Snoop Dogg. Featuring a fake Eazy E (Sleazy E).

Real Muthaphuckkin G's (One of my favourite diss tracks of all time) was Eazy E's Response later in 1993; featuring appearances by members of the Crips, where he totally demolishes Dre. Dre and Snoop Dogg. Dre did not come up with a response before Eazy's death in 1995.

1995: Dre remained relevant by appearing in the smash hit Tupac song California Love. Even though Dre had effectively been served by Eazy E and Ice Cube (all three of them were feuding with each other); a bigger feud began in 95 between the West and East Coast 2 of Amerika's Most WantedWith Tupac and Snoop Dogg re-enacting a scene from Scarface where Tony Montana fake calls Frank and then proceeds to have him killed; with Death Row playing Tony Montana's side, and Bad Bow playing Frank's side. Tupac had just got out of jail, and Snoop Dogg was on trial for murder conspiracy. Tupac had issues due to Biggie's associates shooting him five times; outlined in Hit Em Up(probably the best diss track of all time), Dre at this point fled from Death Row where he would form Aftermath the following year. Dre disses can be found in several of Tupac's tracks from 96.

Dre FINALLY came back with the song Forgot About Dre which he took many years to write; then associating himself with Eminem (who stole that show). It was a good song, but came WAY too late to be relevant to the early to mid 90's.
Fuck Dre Realist and Death Row diss on Dre in response. Rewriting an Eminem line "So what do you say to somebody you hate? Leave your body full of holes, let them chalk in tape, Mother fuck Snoop and N.W.A., Death Row could give a fuck about Dre."

Since this is an Eminem topic and I mentioned Pac: Murder Murder - by Eminem with samples from Tupac, 1997.
Quitter - Eminem's cover of Tupac's Hit Em Up (starting at the 3 minute mark) directed towards Everlast, 2000.
Last edited by Julius Seeker on Sat May 30, 2009 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

#137093  by Mental
 Sat May 30, 2009 11:17 am
Good Seek Hunting wrote:Eminem and Dre work together; same with Snoop and Dre. I am not sure if they're even friends. Eminem has his band too, D12.

Dre has been dissed by everyone out there over the past 15-20 years or so; mostly suspicion that he is homosexual (his old album covers I think are the main source of that), that he is not real (an actor, a studio gangster), that he rips off people who work for him, and that he has a lot of white friends and raps for a white market.
Dre, Em, 50, Snoop are all friends.

Dre used to get dissed for his time in the World Class Wreckin' Cru, an old electro group in the 1970s where they wore powder blue leisure suits on occasion.

It's not deserved IMO, the WCWC was one of the groups that paved the way for hip hop, but in the rap world, people will do anything to hate and try to get a dis track out of it.