The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• this week's One Piece

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #138486  by Don
 Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:30 pm
I've been saying the story has been going downhill since the Amazon Lily arc and I still say this. I think we've hit another low point in the series where instead of retconning an inconsistent timeline, the author basically came out and redefined what '1 year' (which actually means 2 years) means so the timeline will fit.

#138495  by RentCavalier
 Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:19 am
Elaborate? I'm still at the final fight of Cipher Pol/Enies Lobby.

#138497  by Eric
 Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:18 am
Uhhh, I don't get what you're saying Oda did Don.

#138504  by Don
 Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:04 pm
Not going go into too much details because it's a huge spoiler, but basically there is a timeline inconsistency in this part that is needed to support a new plot twist. Eric, go look at the part when they say 'this event took 20 (I think?) months to happen", and then check the relevent timeline. The only way the events could have happened is by defining that event to take 20 months instead of its usual time, except in doing this it's basically like saying the event took 1 Jedi year which is really like 2 years.

People on the boards have the official timeline mapped with information from the offical sourcebooks. No matter how you slice it the events in this part could not have happened, because you're short by one year and that'd violate casuality. So what Oda is saying that you can't even trust time to be a consistent unit of measure in OP. So when they say some ancient civilization vanished 1000 years ago maybe it really means yesterday. Given the relevent timeline is established way back at around volume 10, I really doubt Oda ever planned anything. It's more like he suddenly had a great idea and someone told him there's no way this timeline could work but he just ignored them anyway.

#138505  by RentCavalier
 Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:25 pm
And this is a big problem...why? Don't forget, time and space are pretty wonky on the Grand Line, and we don't know how many weeks/months it takes the characters to sail from island to island either.

#138506  by Don
 Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:49 pm
The future/past aspect of Grand Line is simply an inherent attribute of OP where cultures 2 billions years in the past exist side to side with cultures 5000 years in the future. But these two culture still operate on the same timeline. It's not like the future civilization has a separate parallel timeline going on compared to the ancient one. For example the culture 5000 years in the future sure won't know tell you that Luffy D. Monkey was the Pirate King 4990 years ago. They're part of the current continuum despite living in future technology.

The issue being violated is casuality. This arc basically said event A followed by event B occurred in timespan C. Given the known timeline there is no way this could've worked, so to get around this problem Oda simply said event B took about an year longer than what it should have taken. Although that sound like it's something within his power to do so, it's really not because the said event is not one where there can be a range of duration needed to support this even in the world of fiction.

#138507  by Eric
 Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:19 pm
:huh:

#138510  by RentCavalier
 Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:28 pm
I have no clue what you just said.