The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Gaslight Anthem

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #139262  by Kupek
 Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:58 am
These guys are awesome. I've know about them for a while, but I only recently bought their most recent album, The '59 Sound. Waiting so long was a mistake, because, as I said, these guys are awesome.

Observe: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwpSGQavKSY

#139264  by Flip
 Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:19 am
I ran across their song Great Expections on Pandora the other day and really like it. I'll go ahead and check out the rest of the album.

#139291  by SineSwiper
 Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:29 am
Sounds like a college poser-punk band. The vocalist isn't bad, but just sounds like the typical shit I would heard on the radio.

#139294  by Kupek
 Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:36 am
Thanks for playing, Sine. We can always count on you to rag on something other people like.

#139304  by Shellie
 Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:16 am
Kinda has a 90s feel to me. Not something I would choose to listen to, but it's not bad.

#139310  by Zeus
 Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:59 am
SineSwiper wrote:Sounds like a college poser-punk band. The vocalist isn't bad, but just sounds like the typical shit I would heard on the radio.
So all radio-played music is shit?

#139321  by SineSwiper
 Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:58 pm
Kupek wrote:Thanks for playing, Sine. We can always count on you to rag on something other people like.
Hey, nobody comments on my music, so I have every right to shit on yours. Your favorite band sucks.
Zeus wrote:So all radio-played music is shit?
Mostly, yes. When it isn't shit, it's played over and over again, drilled to the fucking ground, and then it turns to something that you would never listen again.

#139329  by Kupek
 Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:29 pm
We don't trash your music, so that gives you liberty to trash ours. Stunning.

#139332  by SineSwiper
 Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:21 pm
I mean, seriously, I spend time reviewing albums and writing hour-long posts on music which you guys might actually like. (It's not like I'm reviewing something totally off from leftfield, though Leftfield is a good artist, too.) But, I don't get anything from anybody. I would rather have a bad comment that said that it sucked. At least that means somebody listened to it and formed an opinion.

#139435  by RentCavalier
 Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:31 pm
But sine has TERRIBLE taste in music.

ICP? SERIOUSLY?

#139458  by SineSwiper
 Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:41 pm
RentCavalier wrote:But sine has TERRIBLE taste in music.

ICP? SERIOUSLY?
I rarely listen to ICP. (I rarely listen to rap in general.) Yes, I like them, but trying to pin that down as my entire music spectrum is a complete falsehood.

#139498  by Anarky
 Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:17 pm
I actually saw GasLight Anthem before Thrice and Rise Against back in November. I didn't think much of them at the time because I really went to see the other bands, but they seem decent.

#139501  by Kupek
 Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:31 pm
I really liked Thrice's Artist in the Ambulance, but I heard that Vheissu was quite a departure from that. Much more subdued. I fully support musicians evolving their style, but when I last thought about Thrice, I didn't want something subdued.

I pretty much forgot about them for a few years. I should pick up Vheissu sometime when I'm in the mood for that kind of music. I really am interested to see how they developed.

#139515  by Anarky
 Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:30 pm
Kupek wrote:I really liked Thrice's Artist in the Ambulance, but I heard that Vheissu was quite a departure from that. Much more subdued. I fully support musicians evolving their style, but when I last thought about Thrice, I didn't want something subdued.

I pretty much forgot about them for a few years. I should pick up Vheissu sometime when I'm in the mood for that kind of music. I really am interested to see how they developed.
I really don't like what Thrice has done with their style to be honest. The strange part was when I saw them it was almost all from Artist in the Ambulance. They just released a CD in the last couple of weeks and its more subdued sadly. If you PM me I can send you a link to that album