The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Full Metal Alchemist v2 (spoiler-free)

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #139402  by Zeus
 Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:46 am
I'm keeping this spoiler free for those who haven't seen the original series or any of the current remake.

So I've checked out all 19 eps so far (downloading #20 as I write this) and I have to say, it's a pretty solid remake, better than the original I'd say. For the first 11 or 12 eps it's basically a sped-up version of the original series with some minor changes but man does it ever get different (and really, really good). The story moves pretty good, they're flushing out the characters a lot more, and the animation is gorgeous.

If you're lookin' for a good anime, are a fan of the original, or just like good animation, this is a great series to pick up.

#139404  by Shrinweck
 Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:23 am
Yeah I disliked the filler in the original series and this has none of that while keeping the decent comedy. It isn't following the manga exactly but so far the changes are negligible.

Definitely a much different series from the original.

#139407  by Flip
 Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:07 am
Is this a fan project? A new remake altogether with original voice dubs? I'm a little confused, but interested!

#139409  by Lox
 Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:11 am
A new remake. I don't know about the voices since I watched the original in English and this is only subbed right now.

#139416  by Shrinweck
 Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:19 pm
They brought back many of the same voice actors for the main parts (at the very least Alphonse and Edward are the same as well as others). The animation is similar, but probably also better this time around.

The episode amount of the new anime is unclear because the manga hasn't even ended yet, although I hear that by the time the anime catches up, it will probably be ended. See, this is because the mangaka doesn't spend several panels with people staring at each other with nothing happening. Marvelous.

I would say, besides the other great stuff, watch this anime if you're sick of nothing happening in what you're watching otherwise.

#139449  by Zeus
 Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:23 pm
Flip wrote:Is this a fan project? A new remake altogether with original voice dubs? I'm a little confused, but interested!
It's a remake with a lot of the same voice actors. The animation is of very high quality (basically movie quality, not TV series quality) and there is no time wasting, inner-ep filler. It's moving extremely well and very, very fast. If you liked the original, think of this as a remake to be closer to the manga and without the annoying filler and time wasting that went on in the middle of the original series. It's well worth the watch

#139459  by SineSwiper
 Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:44 pm
Shrinweck wrote:They brought back many of the same voice actors for the main parts (at the very least Alphonse and Edward are the same as well as others). The animation is similar, but probably also better this time around.
English or Japanese voice actors? The original series had very good English voice acting. Granted, it was the same 10 or so English VAs that appear in EVERYTHING, but they're good at what they do.

#139472  by Zeus
 Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:58 am
SineSwiper wrote:
Shrinweck wrote:They brought back many of the same voice actors for the main parts (at the very least Alphonse and Edward are the same as well as others). The animation is similar, but probably also better this time around.
English or Japanese voice actors? The original series had very good English voice acting. Granted, it was the same 10 or so English VAs that appear in EVERYTHING, but they're good at what they do.
It hasn't been translated to English yet

#139502  by Shrinweck
 Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:32 pm
And unless the VA for Alphonse (in English) is REALLY good I'm pretty sure his voice is too deep to do the voice any more haha.

I wouldn't expect the first volume of this on DVD in the United States for the forseeable future. Certainly not in the next year.

#139504  by Flip
 Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:44 pm
So its redrawn, too? I loved the original and would give any remake a shot, but the first (even with filler) still seems pretty perfect to me.... voice/art/pacing/story and all.

#139508  by Zeus
 Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:56 pm
Flip wrote:So its redrawn, too? I loved the original and would give any remake a shot, but the first (even with filler) still seems pretty perfect to me.... voice/art/pacing/story and all.
Oh yeah. The animation is absolutely beautiful for a TV series.

The original was one of my favs as well but this one is better IMO. Check out the first couple of eps and you'll see it's really worth it

#139871  by Shrinweck
 Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:57 pm
The last couple Saturdays when we're closed where I work we've had the TVs on and the original FMA has been on. They're at the point in the story where they're just taking a giant shit. Let me just reiterate that if you're on the fence about downloading this, the story really is a lot better this time around.

#139891  by Eric
 Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:00 am
The original maintained an average of 6% throughout its 50 episodes. The remake on the other hand manages an average of a mere 3.3%, and falling fast, less than half way through.

:oops:

#139915  by SineSwiper
 Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:19 pm
Eric wrote:The original maintained an average of 6% throughout its 50 episodes. The remake on the other hand manages an average of a mere 3.3%, and falling fast, less than half way through.

Huh? 6% of what?

#139917  by Shrinweck
 Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:31 pm
Ratings/total viewership, I assume. That sucks but I kind of expected it not to do as well.

#139927  by Zeus
 Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:22 pm
Eric wrote:The original maintained an average of 6% throughout its 50 episodes. The remake on the other hand manages an average of a mere 3.3%, and falling fast, less than half way through.

God, I hope they keep this series going to the end. It's an amazing series and gets better with each ep

#140642  by Zeus
 Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:50 am
Anyone here still watching this?

#140643  by Shrinweck
 Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:26 am
I've been grabbed the last few episodes it but I've been waiting for the next time I feel into anime. That and I read a little ahead.

#140654  by Zeus
 Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:40 am
Shrinweck wrote:I've been grabbed the last few episodes it but I've been waiting for the next time I feel into anime. That and I read a little ahead.
So you're a bit further than the anime is now? If so, please don't spoil anything.

The story has gotten pretty intense and each ep just keeps getting better and better. It really is an improvement over the previous series, much larger in scale and intensity.

Do we know roughly how many eps this remake is going to run?

#140673  by Shrinweck
 Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:10 pm
Well since this run is following the manga with only very minor differences and the manga isn't over (although I hear it's nearing completion) I'm not sure they're sure.

#140674  by Zeus
 Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:48 pm
Yeah, I heard that they restarted the series only after they knew an ending to the manga was coming. They should have a pretty good idea of roughly how many eps it's going to be now....

We're on ep 24 now. Do you know what chapter that takes us up to in the manga?

#140680  by Shrinweck
 Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:39 am
I haven't grabbed 24 yet but zipped through 23 and the end of 23 is the end of chapter 48. They've released up to chapter 99 so far, so it does actually look like it'll be a standard two season run at 26 episodes per or something like that.

#140681  by Zeus
 Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:59 am
So they're moving at slightly over 2 chapters per ep, huh? Based on that pace, it wouldn't surprise me if it ends up in the 52 range again. They could go a few over, some series' have done that in the past as well.

But that also means the manga needs to end within the year. Is that going to happen?

#140717  by Shrinweck
 Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:01 am
I don't know how close it is to actually finishing - I'm maybe in the mid 50ish range in the manga. I'll probably start watching at 26 and marathon my way up since that's when I've forgotten what happens next.