The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• District 9

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #138252  by Tessian
 Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:28 pm
Anyone else start seeing commercials for this? It looks interesting... if not sad.
Thirty years ago, aliens made first contact with Earth.

Humans waited for the hostile attack, or the giant advances in technology. Neither came. Instead, the aliens were refugees, the last survivors of their home world. The creatures were set up in a makeshift home in South Africa's District 9 as the world argued over what to do with them.
Now, patience over the alien situation has run out. Control over the aliens has been given to the Multi-National United (MNU), a private company uninterested in the aliens' welfare- they will recieve tremendous profits if they can make the aliens' awesome weaponry work. So far they have failed; activation of the weaponry requires alien DNA"
The tension between the aliens and humans comes to a head when an MNU field operative contracts a mysterious virus that begins changing his DNA. He quickly becomes the most hunted man in the world, as well as the most valuable - he is the key to unlocking the secrets of alien technology. Ostracized and friendless, there is only one place left for him to hide; District 9

They've got quite the internet campaign going to... complete with fake blogs and twitter feeds from the aliens.

http://www.sonypictures.net/movies/district9

#138267  by Shellie
 Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:31 am
Finally a decent looking movie coming out.

#138270  by Zeus
 Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:35 pm
there's a few decent looking ones coming out this summer. Must sees? Maybe not. But there are some that may be worth the coin to see in theatres. Nothin' should touch Transformers 2 in terms of box office, though. That movie's on a ridiculous tear. Not even Harry Potter 6 will get close IMO.

#138286  by SineSwiper
 Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:36 pm
Zeus wrote:Nothin' should touch Transformers 2 in terms of box office, though. That movie's on a ridiculous tear. Not even Harry Potter 6 will get close IMO.
Step 1 - Release good movie
Step 2 - Release bad sequel of good movie
Step 3 - Profit

#138290  by Shrinweck
 Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:27 pm
This looks neat. I'm really more excited about The Road, though. Amazing book and it would be very difficult to screw it up with a movie. Cormac McCarthy's books practically read like movies at times. No Country for Old Men is a good example of this. Reading the book was pretty much like watching the movie and they only left out a couple bits that weren't entirely essential for the movie, although they did leave out a good scene with Chigurh.

In any case, this movie definitely looks like a close #2 to the movies I'm anticipating right now.

#138291  by Zeus
 Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:22 pm
SineSwiper wrote:
Zeus wrote:Nothin' should touch Transformers 2 in terms of box office, though. That movie's on a ridiculous tear. Not even Harry Potter 6 will get close IMO.
Step 3 - Profit
I'm not debating whether or not T1 was a good movie. But whether or not the sequel is "better" they almost always do better.

And not all sequels are worse. Look at Empire, Spidey 2, or Dark Knight

#138297  by SineSwiper
 Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:44 pm
Zeus wrote:
SineSwiper wrote:
Step 3 - Profit
I'm not debating whether or not T1 was a good movie. But whether or not the sequel is "better" they almost always do better.

And not all sequels are worse. Look at Empire, Spidey 2, or Dark Knight
Actually, I was only talking about Transformers. Didn't mean to include HP6 in that quote.

But, it doesn't matter if the movie is good or bad, a sequel of a good movie will get awesome box office figures no matter what.

#139518  by Shrinweck
 Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:30 pm
Anyone else seen this movie, yet? It was pretty damn good.

#139530  by Imakeholesinu
 Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:19 pm
Seraphina wrote:Finally a decent looking movie coming out.
Not only that, but somewhat original. It sounds kind of like Alien Nation but it isn't.

#139612  by Kupek
 Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:13 am
It's good. People should see it.

#139613  by Lox
 Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:23 am
I agree. Very different, but in a good way. There are some very intense parts and I loved the way you slowly gain new perspectives as the story progresses.

Also, does it annoy anyone else when people in a theater laugh at stuff that isn't funny? Like a scene that is emotionally intense or when there is an element of danger - there were people who would laugh like it was something funny and that irritates me.

#139615  by Shrinweck
 Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:03 am
Lox wrote:I agree. Very different, but in a good way. There are some very intense parts and I loved the way you slowly gain new perspectives as the story progresses.

Also, does it annoy anyone else when people in a theater laugh at stuff that isn't funny? Like a scene that is emotionally intense or when there is an element of danger - there were people who would laugh like it was something funny and that irritates me.
Yeah I went and then independently other friends went to see Star Trek and both times there was a gaggle of girls that laughed when Kirk said "Kirk out." It isn't a catchphrase. It isn't even humorous. But, yeah. That's the quickest example of the same kind of thing that comes to mind.

My only complaints about the movie (and they are minimal, especially considering the shit pile that's pretty much every other movie released this year) have to do with my expectations of the movie being different. I expected (*minor but not really spoilers coming) the movie to concentrate more on the morality of treating aliens as illegal immigrants as opposed to treating them like refugees.

Still, other than Observe and Report, it's probably my favorite movie that's come out this year.

#139620  by Kupek
 Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:11 am
Lox wrote:Also, does it annoy anyone else when people in a theater laugh at stuff that isn't funny? Like a scene that is emotionally intense or when there is an element of danger - there were people who would laugh like it was something funny and that irritates me.
No, it doesn't bother me. Laughing is what we do when something is funny. It's also what we do when presented with something we don't know how to react to.

#139621  by Zeus
 Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:35 am
Lox wrote:I agree. Very different, but in a good way. There are some very intense parts and I loved the way you slowly gain new perspectives as the story progresses.

If the danger or emotion is presented in a silly or poor manner, it's funny even if it's not meant to be

#139630  by Lox
 Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:39 pm
Kupek wrote:
Lox wrote:Also, does it annoy anyone else when people in a theater laugh at stuff that isn't funny? Like a scene that is emotionally intense or when there is an element of danger - there were people who would laugh like it was something funny and that irritates me.
No, it doesn't bother me. Laughing is what we do when something is funny. It's also what we do when presented with something we don't know how to react to.
There are definitely tonal differences between a "funny haha" laugh and "I don't know how to react" laugh and these definitely sounded like the former. It was only 4 or 5 people in the whole theater, but they were near me so I could hear them easily. Now, I admit that there's always the possibility that I'm misreading their laugh, but in this case I don't think I was. There were a couple other times a larger number people laughed in an obviously awkward way. These people were consistently guffawing.

Thought I'd clarify that I was referring to that type, not the uncomfortable laugh. I get that and I do it on occasion.