The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #139554  by Shellie
 Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:14 pm
Not sure if I'm that impressed. It's pretty, but the avatars look kinda cartoony. During the battle scenes, I kept thinking..world of warcraft heh

I'll watch it, but probably not in the theater.

#139557  by Flip
 Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:47 pm
I agree with your opinion almost exactly. I'll probably go see it in the theatre though since Cameron did some special shooting for it to be made for iMax. Not a movie you would expect as the encore to the highest grossing film of all time, though.

#139558  by Flip
 Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:54 pm
The plot sounds about as cliche as it gets, too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avatar_(2009_film)

in a nutshell, "Humans are too stupid to understand something they see as different. Humans try to rape a beautiful world. One human gets caught in the middle. Love. Epic battle."

And its shot in 3d, not iMax. My bad.

#139559  by Zeus
 Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:21 pm
Flip wrote:I agree with your opinion almost exactly. I'll probably go see it in the theatre though since Cameron did some special shooting for it to be made for iMax. Not a movie you would expect as the encore to the highest grossing film of all time, though.
It's the first film shot with the newly-developed 3D cameras that's supposed to make the 3D FAR better than what we've seen in the past

#139563  by Julius Seeker
 Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:59 pm
This has been a movie I have been waiting for for some time. It will be interesting to see how it turns out. I am avoiding trailers, but I have seen the teaser from a year ago which didn't really show much.

#139584  by SineSwiper
 Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:40 pm
Zeus wrote:It's the first film shot with the newly-developed 3D cameras that's supposed to make the 3D FAR better than what we've seen in the past
FAR better? There's only two types of 3D: 1950's 3D, and the shit they have been harking for the past ten years. I watched one of the Harry Potter movies with the 3D stuff, and yeah, it was cool and all, but after that 10 minutes, I was certainly glad to take off those glasses. Gives you a fucking eyestrain looking at that shit.

Besides, after a while, your brain just adapts and you're not even paying attention to the whole 3D aspect.

#139593  by Chris
 Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:00 pm
hey look, it's DeviantART the movie!

#139594  by Zeus
 Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:03 pm
SineSwiper wrote:
Zeus wrote:It's the first film shot with the newly-developed 3D cameras that's supposed to make the 3D FAR better than what we've seen in the past
FAR better? There's only two types of 3D: 1950's 3D, and the shit they have been harking for the past ten years. I watched one of the Harry Potter movies with the 3D stuff, and yeah, it was cool and all, but after that 10 minutes, I was certainly glad to take off those glasses. Gives you a fucking eyestrain looking at that shit.

Besides, after a while, your brain just adapts and you're not even paying attention to the whole 3D aspect.
Why not do a little Google search for the new 3D cameras he and his brother developed for this film?

#139601  by Mully
 Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:32 am
Maybe I've only watched about 5 Avatar episodes, but this doesn't look like anything I've seen.

The last airbender right?

#139602  by Flip
 Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:34 am
Mully wrote:Maybe I've only watched about 5 Avatar episodes, but this doesn't look like anything I've seen.

Not related.

#139604  by RentCavalier
 Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:26 pm
So...huh.

I guess it looks pretty cool. It IS very pretty. Like a really pretty sci-fi movie.

But I don't see WHY it needs this whole crrraaaayzay 3-D stuff. It seems pretty standard without.

#139610  by Zeus
 Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:58 pm
Mully wrote:Maybe I've only watched about 5 Avatar episodes, but this doesn't look like anything I've seen.

No, that's another movie that's being done by M. Night Shitamalyan

#139611  by bovine
 Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:53 pm
RentCavalier wrote:So...huh.

I guess it looks pretty cool. It IS very pretty. Like a really pretty sci-fi movie.

But I don't see WHY it needs this whole crrraaaayzay 3-D stuff. It seems pretty standard without.
I don't know if this is a directorial choice, but a lot of movies are pushing this new 3d tech as the FUTURE OF MOVIES.

Ridley Scott says it's true, so I back it 100%.

#139618  by SineSwiper
 Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:22 am
Yeah, theaters need to get you back in the movies spending $50 a trip. "Come on! We have this 3D crap! I don't care if you have HDTVs now!"

#139622  by Zeus
 Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:37 am
bovine wrote:
RentCavalier wrote:So...huh.

I don't know if this is a directorial choice, but a lot of movies are pushing this new 3d tech as the FUTURE OF MOVIES.

Ridley Scott says it's true, so I back it 100%.
And all the movie companies are pushing Blu-Ray as the future of home movie watching. But the public has spoken and they're not overly enthralled with the idea as the sales figures indicate.

Just because and industry is pushing something doesn't mean the consumers want it