The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Picked up BSG and Curb Your Enthusiasm both season 1s

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #141451  by Julius Seeker
 Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:56 pm
I like both quite a bit so far. Unfortunately with BSG I could only watch the miniseries because disk 2 only had half an episode on it instead of the four it should have had (I have had this issue with other Universal DVDs before).

BSG reminds me a bit of Xenosaga, religious synthetic humans in a space drama with various model types. I'll probably return the DVD set tonight and see if I am more successful. Thrace reminds me A LOT of Yar from TNG, Adama seems right out of Star Craft military High Command.

I am really enjoying Curb Your Enthusiasm. Larry David is like Jerry and Georg rolled into one. One thing I like about the show is the lack of canned laughter, that always kind of bothered me in 90's sitcoms. I don't need a cue to laugh. Only 10 episodes in season 1, I think I'll pick up season 2 when I am back at the store.

#141452  by Julius Seeker
 Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:08 pm
Unfortunately the whole batch had the same defect. Universal has fairly shitty quality assurance to let all that slip through.

#141453  by Julius Seeker
 Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:08 pm
Unfortunately the whole batch had the same defect. Universal has fairly shitty quality assurance to let all that slip through.

#141454  by Kupek
 Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:43 pm
Are these double-sided discs?

#141456  by Flip
 Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:37 pm
I love curb. Its gets better and better as the seasons go on and i like the awkward camera shooting feel of the series, too.

#141457  by Julius Seeker
 Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:33 am
Kupek wrote:Are these double-sided discs?
One sided.

#141494  by Julius Seeker
 Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:11 am
I just have to add about Curb your Enthusiasm. I am in fucking love with this show. The acting and script are so natural feeling compared to just about anything I have ever seen. It IS like Seinfeld, but with no boundaries, and no scenes which feel super rehearsed; it feels more real. It reminds me of the good aspects of a reality TV, only with people who are interesting. My favourite scenes are the ones where people get overly hostile =)

I agree with Flip on the hand-cam, it's gives the show a nice feel to it.

#141947  by Julius Seeker
 Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:55 am
"No more Mr. nice Gaius!"

That line almost killed me =P