The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Battlestar Galactica

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #142857  by Julius Seeker
 Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:37 am
It is unbelievable how much stuff was taken from Xenogears Perfect Works and Xenosaga. Enough that it almost seems that Tetsuya Takahashi deserves a credit or dedication of some sort somewhere.

There is WAY too much Xenoseries injected into the original Battlestar Galactica story for this to be a coincidence. Someone really loved the Xenoseries on the creative team, but give credit where it is due.[/quote]
 #142868  by Imakeholesinu
 Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:28 pm
Julius Seeker wrote:It is unbelievable how much stuff was taken from Xenogears Perfect Works and Xenosaga. Enough that it almost seems that Tetsuya Takahashi deserves a credit or dedication of some sort somewhere.

There is WAY too much Xenoseries injected into the original Battlestar Galactica story for this to be a coincidence. Someone really loved the Xenoseries on the creative team, but give credit where it is due.
[/quote]

So Xenosaga was before the 1970's?

#142871  by Julius Seeker
 Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:26 pm
You are aware that the original series isn't the same as the one from 2004 right?

#142872  by Oracle
 Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:21 pm
Julius Seeker wrote: There is WAY too much Xenoseries injected into the original Battlestar Galactica story for this to be a coincidence

You are aware that the original series isn't the same as the one from 2004 right?
Barrararette wrote: So Xenosaga was before the 1970's?
Didn't Barret just establish that by referencing the series from the 1970s?

Or are you just stating that the stories are different, and that the Xeno-influence was not present in the original BSG, but is present in BSG 2.0?

#142877  by Imakeholesinu
 Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:54 am
Oracle wrote:
Julius Seeker wrote: There is WAY too much Xenoseries injected into the original Battlestar Galactica story for this to be a coincidence

Barrararette wrote: So Xenosaga was before the 1970's?
Didn't Barret just establish that by referencing the series from the 1970s?

Or are you just stating that the stories are different, and that the Xeno-influence was not present in the original BSG, but is present in BSG 2.0?
I just wanted him to show some evidence to back up his claim...and be a dick at the same time because...well, it's seek ya know? :)

#142878  by Julius Seeker
 Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:53 am
To me it looked like Barret thought that the new series was just a direct update of the last. It isn't, the old series is more of a campy Starwars ripoff and doesn't much resemble the new series.

It's very apparent if you read Perfect Works and played the Xenoseries, then watched Battlestar Galactica. For starters: one of the core themes was the relationship between humanoid biotechnological organisms and true humans; not to mention the new Battlestar Galactica includes religious themes as well (not to the level of Xenoseries, at least not yet). This was not in the original series of Battlestar Galactica but looks to be injected in by someone who was aware of the story.

At the very least they should have put some sort of acknowledgement in.

Don't get me wrong, I love the series so far, aside from a few shock/filler episodes like "Pegasus" and "Black Market".
Great main cast (like 70% Canadian actors).

#142909  by SineSwiper
 Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:12 am
Julius Seeker wrote:It's very apparent if you read Perfect Works and played the Xenoseries, then watched Battlestar Galactica. For starters: one of the core themes was the relationship between humanoid biotechnological organisms and true humans; not to mention the new Battlestar Galactica includes religious themes as well (not to the level of Xenoseries, at least not yet). This was not in the original series of Battlestar Galactica but looks to be injected in by someone who was aware of the story.
There are plenty of sci-fi stories that touch on those themes. To claim that Xenosaga is the only one is clearly false.

#142927  by Zeus
 Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:34 am
There's about 7 or so filler eps in Season 3 leading up to the last 3 eps.

#142933  by Imakeholesinu
 Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:54 pm
Zeus wrote:There's about 7 or so filler eps in Season 3 leading up to the last 3 eps.
Yeah, you could tell that season 3 was really weak compared to the powerhouse season 2.

#142934  by Zeus
 Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:45 pm
Imakeholesinu wrote:
Zeus wrote:There's about 7 or so filler eps in Season 3 leading up to the last 3 eps.
Yeah, you could tell that season 3 was really weak compared to the powerhouse season 2.
Season 4 made up for it, though. They really turned it up a notch when they finally had an end date to the series

#142939  by SineSwiper
 Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:01 pm
Zeus wrote:Season 4 made up for it, though. They really turned it up a notch when they finally had an end date to the series
And then the finale was another let down.

#142940  by Zeus
 Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:05 pm
SineSwiper wrote:
Zeus wrote:Season 4 made up for it, though. They really turned it up a notch when they finally had an end date to the series
And then the finale was another let down.
Not at all. I loved it

#143156  by Julius Seeker
 Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:55 am
My opinions on characters. s of my position in the series, mid season 3 a few episodes after the New Caprica exodus.

Gaius Baltar - At first I thought he was going to be a shallow and boring character. Then he began acting crazy... Funny because after 2 years or something, no one has noticed how insane this guy is. One of my favourite characters. I suspect he's a Cylon.

Bill Adama - Snake Pliskin, except not a loner.

Star Buck - Natasha Yar

Saul - More insane Captain Haddock, one of my favourite characters.

Lee Adama - Easily manipulated, yet he always thinks he's in control of the situation.

Tom Zareck - a snake, but has honour

President Roslin - a snake which few seem to recognize, and without honour. She's like an unlikable Atia of the Julii

Sharon - There's not really much not to like about her. One of my favourite characters. Her and Helo are the two characters I hope don't die in the series.

Helo Agathon - He seems to be in it less than before, he's one of my favourite characters.

Anders - Cool character, but feels too tacked in. I thought he was a cylon.

Six - Eye candy to attract the large single male audience this show likely has. Good character overall.

Tyrol - Always seems to be the supporting character. I thought he was a Cylon for the longest time. I liked it when he helped Helo kill that rapist.

Gaeta - Data (except human)

Billy - Nearly useless

Ellen - poor woman; she was a good actress, they could have done more with her before they killed her off.

Xena Cylon - I don't know, every time I see her I am always subconsciously waiting for Gabrielle to join up with her.

Admiral Al Calavicci Cylon - I used to think Six was the main Cylon, but now it looks more like this guy.

I know I am missing a bunch.

#143165  by Shellie
 Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:08 pm
Julius Seeker wrote: I know I am missing a bunch.
Yes, you are :)

#143883  by Julius Seeker
 Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:03 am
Just when I thought that this couldn't be even more blatant of a Xenogears ripoff, they throw in their version of the song of Nephilim. A more accurate title would be Xenostar Galactica.

Lets take a look at some of the similarities with Xenogears episode 1/Xenosaga

Fleet of ships seeking the lost planet Earth (which is where the similarities end with Xenogears episode 1 and original Battlestar Galactica); within the colonies of humans which have developed around the galaxy they developed artificial intelligent robot. This advanced further to Realian life, biological lifeforms created (Xenogears/Saga explain this by nanotech, but Battlestar Galactica hasn't explained how the humanoid cylons were created). The religion of the one god. The realians/humanoid cylons are activated using a song (song of Nephilim, and all long the watchtower in Battlestar Galactica). Xenogears and Xenosaga both have many people who consider Realians to be unimportant, tools to be used - or highly dangerous; and so does Battlestar Galactica in the later seasons. That's only part of it.

The major difference so far is that in Xenogears, the ancestors of Earth were realian; engineered to be the building blocks of Deus/God. This with the exception of the human genetic -Fei- who was mistakenly introduced at the beginning of time, effectively contaminating the genetic integrity of the realians (except for the pure blooded Solarians). Battlestar Galactica, Earth is human colonists.

Still, there's more Xenogears and Xenosaga in Battlestar Galactica than there is old series Battlestar Galactica. While these themes have been explored in other Sci-fi, not in this package. It is highly improbable that it is a coincidence that the re-imagined Battlestar Galactica came out just a few years after Xenogears and Xenosaga, being the only other Sci-Fi story with this package, and NOT have been influenced in any way.

I don't mean to sound critical of the series; I actually REALLY like it - think it's the best thing I have seen in a long time. What I don't like is that no where have I seen any credit given where it is due (in this case, a videogame series, one which is among my favourites); not even a mention of Xenogears, or anyone involved in the project. I would guess someone on the creative staff was a huge Xenogears fan, and is passing off the new Xenoseries elements in Battlestar Galactica as their own work. Perhaps they don't see the importance of crediting the authors of videogame stories. Even authors who write fantasy always, for the most part, thank Tolkien, Lewis, and other authors (there is even praise from Robert Jordan toward Guy Gavriel Kay's Fionavar Tapestry, which Wheel of Time is very similar to - Kay himself a friend of Christopher Tolkien).

#144076  by Julius Seeker
 Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:25 am
"The major difference so far is that in Xenogears, the ancestors of Earth were realian;"

You can scratch that off the list too. It looks like the ancestors of Earth were in fact cylons.

The re-imagined series is more Xenogears/saga than Battlestar Galactica.