The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• My Name is Earl

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #142977  by kali o.
 Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:03 pm
I'm sure this is old news to most people, but...

I completely avoided watching this series for some reason, despite the fact that I really like Jason Lee in almost everything. I stumbled on it again a few months ago and got pretty into it...I started downloading seasons to catch up on what I missed.

I found out it was cancelled (or at least, not renewed) this year, after it's fourth season. Anyway, what a fucking shame...

If you missed getting into this series, I strongly recommend checking it out. It might be my Jason Lee bias, but I really don't think I've seen a better quality comedy on TV since Seinfeld.

#142980  by Julius Seeker
 Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:49 pm
Jason Lee is gold, I've liked him in everything I have seen as well. Including "A Guy Thing" a romantic comedy which he starred in; a genre that I typically don't like. I haven't seen any of the Chipmunk movies though, which he stars in as well - I've avoided them in the case that they ruin my golden childhood memories of Chipmunk Adventure.

#142994  by Zeus
 Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:55 pm
I started watching it right away and loved it. But near the end of Season 2 and into Season 3, I thought it just started to get stale and stopped watching it part way through Season 3. I can see why it got cancelled, they really didn't know what else to do with it after a while. There was only so many list items that they were able to get through before they became repetitive and/or boring

#142996  by kali o.
 Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:04 pm
Zeus wrote:I started watching it right away and loved it. But near the end of Season 2 and into Season 3, I thought it just started to get stale and stopped watching it part way through Season 3. I can see why it got cancelled, they really didn't know what else to do with it after a while. There was only so many list items that they were able to get through before they became repetitive and/or boring
Apparently, it was cancelled for "creative reasons", not ratings -- the network wanted to "change things". I never saw an explaination beyond that, but season 4 apparently ended with a "...to be continued".

We'll see if I get sick of it too...but I'm firmly in the loving-it stage.

#142999  by SineSwiper
 Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:48 pm
Yeah, I really like this show, too, but stopped watching it after season 1.

#143007  by Zeus
 Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:22 am
kali o. wrote:Apparently, it was cancelled for "creative reasons", not ratings -- the network wanted to "change things". I never saw an explaination beyond that, but season 4 apparently ended with a "...to be continued".

We'll see if I get sick of it too...but I'm firmly in the loving-it stage.
Shows always get cancelled because of ratings and Earl was no different. The producers of the show were 20th Century Fox so they left it open hoping to have it moved to another network, like Scrubs was. But that doesn't look like it's gonna happen either.

Let me know what you think when you hit the end of Season 2, beginning of Season 3 and soldier on from there.