The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Worst manga of the week

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #144166  by Don
 Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:52 am
It's generally hard to dethrone Bleach for the worst manga of the week award. Naruto sort of made a weak attempt but another pointless part with a pointless flashback sure isn't going to challenge Bleach. But this time One Piece managed to beat Bleach at its own game. In almost another week, this week's Bleach would've a solid lock on as the 'suck'. I mean you got Gin out there telling the reader that Aizen is more than just complete hypnosis and he's actually like super powerful, and that this isn't going to be like Naruto where you have people fighting stuff and then it all turns out to be an illusion, and then the exact thing happened. There is a saying that complete hynposis isn't a really Aizen's power, it's the author's ability to make you believe there's actually a plot in this thing. I guess you can say in this case the author did succeed throwing people off. You sort of expect Aizen to show off some power but nope it's just like 'whew good thing I got my hypnosis power otherwise I'd be owned!'

On a sidenote, someone is saying that Hinamori is the real #3. I don't think Bleach is creative enough for that to happen, but it'd actually be pretty cool if it did.

But moving to this week's One Piece. It reminds me of the 'serious' episode in Excel Saga, which is in no ways supposed to be serious, so it's really hilarious when it tries to be serious. Except while Excel Saga's 'serious' episode is indeed meant to be funny, OP isn't like this. OP is by no means a serious manga. When you have a premise of 'nobody can ever die' while people allgedly try to kill each other all day, any attempt to say the story has seriousness is just a bad joke. Yet this arc is exactly that. Right now it's not clear how this can end but it cannot possibly end well. If it goes with the serious path where there are actually consequences for trying to take on the entire world on by yourself, then Luffy should've died already and the series will end. On the other hand if some miracle happens and everyone survives it'd surprise nobody and it'd mean all that buildup and suspense is just a complete waste of time because the Tooth Fairy rescued them.

The Ace Execution arc is just a complete failure on an all around level. You can't expect after 50 volumes of people playing with nerf atomic bombs for anybody to believe anyone is actually going to die. And no you can't even say 'maybe the nerf atomic bomb era is over' because in that case Luffy should've died the moment he stepped in. Heck he was in Gear 2 when he got gravity pulled by Blackbeard and that should've instantly killed him (you can't be in Gear 2 without rubber power). So it's pretty clear Luffy still has his hero immunity.

If Luffy is suppoed to die, his epitet will be something like: "Here lies the fool who tried to take on the entire world by himself and was killed immediately." There is no heroic, blood, or friendship involved. It's just pure stupidity. Given the backdrop of the story there was just no way it could've worked. While it'd be a cheesy if the Tooth Fairy showed up and all is well, at least that would be consistent with rest of the story. Right now OP seems to be saying there is no Tooth Fairy after all, and it's like so what the heck compelled all these pirates to certain suicide if the Tooth Fairy wasn't going to come and rescue them?

#144167  by Eric
 Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:23 am
Are you a week behind on your manga, I can't tell.

#144168  by Shrinweck
 Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:36 am
Why do you do this to yourself? Why are you hitting yourself? Yarrrrrgh.

#144183  by Don
 Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:56 pm
Eric wrote:Are you a week behind on your manga, I can't tell.
I hesitate to draw conclusions about death in OP until someone is buried.

Though right now nothing good can possibly happen regardless of the outcome.