The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Video Games that should be movies

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #144339  by Shellie
 Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:08 pm
So I don't play games too much anymore. However, I do watch Sine play a lot of games. One of my favorites has been the Mass Effect series, because of the great story and character building.

I would love to see Mass Effect be made into a movie.

ME would definitely be better than a stupid Battleship game movie

Any others?

#144343  by Flip
 Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:34 pm
Most games nowadays that would be good movies are almost movies in themselves. Anyways, with all the vampire rage it would seem like a bandwagon kind of movie, but Castlevania would be pretty sweet.

Side comment, the Prince of Persia movie looks like it will be stupid fun, but i havnt played any of the games.

#144345  by Zeus
 Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:41 pm
Metal Gear is screaming for a movie but they'll have to get rid of some of the fantastical elements the bosses have to make it work. Bioshock is so ripe for a film it's insane. The storyline is RIGHT there all they have to do is film it. You hardly have to add or change anything. Assassin's Creed could be made into a pretty solid flick. Storyline was great, it was the gameplay that blew chunks. Castlevania would be an excellent film in the right hands with a ton of changes and grabbing elements from a lot of games. Halo would work well if it's done District 9 style (Jackson had his boy make that film almost to show what Halo would look like).

That's all I have off the top of my head, I'm sure there's more.

#144350  by Shrinweck
 Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:55 pm
I think a trilogy of movies based on the world of Fallout would be amazing.

#144356  by Shellie
 Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:43 am
Flip wrote: Anyways, with all the vampire rage it would seem like a bandwagon kind of movie, but Castlevania would be pretty sweet.
Hrm, I thought Castlevania WAS being made into a movie? Research needed..

#144358  by Mully
 Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:42 am
I never really got into VG movies. They either add too much or take away too much. If you make it too literal, why do you just play the game? What's the difference? I really want MGS into a movie, but hell, I played the game 16 times, why do I need a movie of it, but I would like to see it, but why? Why do we pine for VG to be made into movies? Also the reverse, why do we want video games of the movies we like?

#144363  by Shrinweck
 Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:37 pm
I think Phoenix Wright would be funny as hell done right. Morgan Freeman is the judge! Okay... that's a bad joke.

Video games with decent stories can translate into decent enough movies. Movies very seldom make good games but that's usually more the fault of the developers.

#144364  by Julius Seeker
 Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:04 pm
It's not as easy as you'd think. The interactivity is lost, and what might work in a videogame won't necessarilly work in a movie. Xenosaga is a good example of how things don't quite turn out the way you'd think when converted to a movie.

A Castlevania movie or novel would be cool though =)

#144368  by RentCavalier
 Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:27 pm
I don't think video game movies can work--at least not in the way we are approaching them. The whole POINT of a game is that we play it, we interact with it, we control elements of it. This runs contrary to the point of movies, which is to sit and WATCH the action unfold. I subscribe to Alan Moore's view that things are created for a specific medium--be they games, comics, books, etc.--and trying to transplant them to another medium just doesn't work well.

The best we can hope for is movies INSPIRED by games. To that effect, Fallout and Bioshock would probably be the best material so far, as they have sprawling worlds and established elements without any one specific defining character or gameplay element to link them.

If they did do a Bioshock movie, they should do a prequel to the first game. That seems the most well-suited to a movie (lots of characters, dialogue, human interaction, etc.)

#144369  by Zeus
 Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:16 pm
Seriously, why would you change anything about the story of Bioshock 1 if you make the movie? You have huge plane crash, maybe even some weird, unexplainable flashbacks, in the beginning as the guy is coming up for air. There's your big bang beginning that Hollywood whacks off to. Leave the main character a mysterious man in the beginning and set the movie in the late 60s or early 70s. Hell, you could even set it in the current time if you really wanted to, it wouldn't lose any effect (personally, I wouldn't go past the late 80s; Ryan and Fontaine can't be 90 year-old men but they could lessen their age state pretty easily using plasmids). Swimming to an island shore he stumbles upon the partially hidden and obviously abandoned entrance to Rapture. Having nowhere to go and being off in the middle of nowhere, he stumbles inside looking for a way to contact people for help.

What does he come across? This barnacle-filled relic of the late 1950s, almost like a time capsule with a grand hallway making reference to Andrew Ryan and the utopia of Rapture. Man stumbles upon a working elevator and takes it down into the world of Rapture. On the way down he gets a great little greeting straight out of the 40s welcoming you to this new underwater utopia and what it means.....except everything seems deserted and generally undermaintained for the last 20 years, including some leaks in place that have obviously been feeding the barnacle buildup. From there, he slowly uncovers the mystery of Rapture, Andrew Ryan, his opposition in Fontaine, and even comes across a few of the audio diaries of long-dead citizens which he plays along the way to deepen the world.

And if they did it Dark City-style (by far the best way to shoot it, IMO), you could even introduce some form of the plasmids and maybe even work in the Big Daddies and Little Sisters, although that may be a little TOO fantastical for a film. You may have to leave that element out but having the people be all hopped up on plasmids is actually a pretty neat premise for a zombie-like film, but with a far deeper storyline.

Really, in Bioshock's case, there's very little adaptation required beyond what's already there. It's the one games film that would work very well almost as is.

#144379  by SineSwiper
 Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:37 am
Zeus wrote:And if they did it Dark City-style (by far the best way to shoot it, IMO), you could even introduce some form of the plasmids and maybe even work in the Big Daddies and Little Sisters, although that may be a little TOO fantastical for a film. You may have to leave that element out but having the people be all hopped up on plasmids is actually a pretty neat premise for a zombie-like film, but with a far deeper storyline.
If somebody left Big Daddies and Little Sisters out of a Bioshock movie, I would start killing people with my drill. Starting with the shitty writer who thought of that.

#144398  by Zeus
 Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:27 pm
SineSwiper wrote:
Zeus wrote:And if they did it Dark City-style (by far the best way to shoot it, IMO), you could even introduce some form of the plasmids and maybe even work in the Big Daddies and Little Sisters, although that may be a little TOO fantastical for a film. You may have to leave that element out but having the people be all hopped up on plasmids is actually a pretty neat premise for a zombie-like film, but with a far deeper storyline.
If somebody left Big Daddies and Little Sisters out of a Bioshock movie, I would start killing people with my drill. Starting with the shitty writer who thought of that.
That was me sayin' it, not something I read.

You have to think of how that would come across in a flick. Don't get me wrong, I'm an enormous fan of those characters and the bonds they have in the game (especially #2) but you have to tread carefully in how you introduce them in a flick. Their characters are based around ADAM collection which is not necessarily something that would work well in a movie setting. It might be a bit "silly" for lack of a better word. The plasmids you can work in but ADAM collection? A little too video game-ish. You can still have the Little Sisters with Tennenbaum as maybe refugees but how do you introduce the Big Daddies? I don't really know

#144407  by SineSwiper
 Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:35 pm
Yeah, I know you thought of it, and it's a shitty idea. Big Daddies are everything in Bioshock. It's not just a game element, but a critical part of the story.

#144411  by RentCavalier
 Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:33 pm
SineSwiper wrote:Yeah, I know you thought of it, and it's a shitty idea. Big Daddies are everything in Bioshock. It's not just a game element, but a critical part of the story.
Which is why a prequel could work so well--you'd gradually introduce people to Rapture, have the movie's timeline take place over a period of years, and show the slow deterioration of Rapture, culiminating in the unveiling of the Big Daddies and Little Sisters. The movie could end with Atlas or someone hearing the sound of a plane crash on the surface.

#144417  by Zeus
 Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:56 am
SineSwiper wrote:Yeah, I know you thought of it, and it's a shitty idea. Big Daddies are everything in Bioshock. It's not just a game element, but a critical part of the story.
It's critical to the game, yes. But I think you can make an excellent flick by taking that out if it was done Dark City-style. You don't really need to change much

#144458  by Mully
 Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:44 am
RentCavalier wrote:
Which is why a prequel could work so well--you'd gradually introduce people to Rapture, have the movie's timeline take place over a period of years, and show the slow deterioration of Rapture, culiminating in the unveiling of the Big Daddies and Little Sisters. The movie could end with Atlas or someone hearing the sound of a plane crash on the surface.
Only a prequel would work. I haven't played all the way through Bioshock yet, but the story feels like the (Firefly) "Serenity" plot of the planet Miranda...is it not...spoil it for me, I don't care.