The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Spring TV Shows

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #144630  by Imakeholesinu
 Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:23 pm
Lots of good shows starting up this Spring and a lot of shows that I thought were great last year that are coming back for their second seasons. So let's get started already!

Southland - TNT Tuesdays - I loved this show when it was on NBC. When I heard that Leno got his own time spot in the summer I knew that the show would not go on for a second season. I was elated to hear that TNT had bought the show (which had already filmed 8 episodes for season 2 before NBC cut ties with them) and I've been catching up on them since January. New season starts this Tuesday.

The Pacific - HBO - I've been watching the re-airs of Band of Brothers on HBO since the beginning of the year and I have to say I'm pissed at myself for not watching this sooner. I'm hoping the Pacific will be similar to what Band of Brothers was but I know there are a lot of differences between them. For example, BoB followed Easy Company in the European Theater whereas The pacific will follow 3 individuals stories about the Pacific theater. I think we will be in for a different style of story-telling and presentation and I think it would be unfair of me to hold The Pacific to the same standards that I have come to expect from watching Band of Brothers. I will go into this one with low expectations and see how it comes out. Show starts March 14th.

Justified - FX - This show will basically tie me over until Sons of Anarchy resumes next fall. Walter Goggins and Timothy Olyphant play brothers on either side of the law. I think this show will be good for Olyphant just because it seems like he is playing a slightly darker version of the same character he played in Deadwood. Goggins just came off last years finale of The Shield which he was excellent in as well. I cannot wait to start watching this on the 17th.

Nurse Jackie - SHO - I watched the entire first season of this and I have to say it was very enjoyable. One of the better hospital shows I've seen. It is definitely a darker comedy so If you like those types of shows, I recommend it highly. Starts back up on the 22nd.

United States of Tara - SHO - Another great show that is somewhat more upbeat than Nurse Jackie. John Corbett does a great job as a guy just trying to hold his family together why his wife struggles with multiple personality disorder. Starts back up on the 22nd.

The Tudors - SHO - I have to say, I loved the first season but I just haven't been a fan of the 2nd season at all. Natalie Dormier is an absolute beauty in my opinion and Johnathan Rhys Meyers definitely delivers excellent performances but I felt that with the loss of Sam Neil the rest of the characters sans the Queen were flat and just talking points. Also, what happened to the Choir boy in the first season? Haven't seen him any episodes this season and I am not sure what his real role was. Thomas Moore's character was done very well as well. Can the show hold up in the 3rd season though? Sundays in Mid March.

Shows I missed.

I completely forgot about Archer on FX and I'm pissed that I did because all the guys at work do is quote that show.
 #144664  by SineSwiper
 Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:49 pm
Archer is pretty damn funny. I loved Frisky Dingo, and it has that same style of humor. I think Shellie didn't like it at first because she was expecting several big jokes out of the show, but the humor is basically a rapid-fire stream of smaller jokes throughout the entire show to make you smile the whole time.

And where the hell is True Blood?
 #144679  by Mully
 Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:49 am
SineSwiper wrote: And where the hell is True Blood?
Burning in "Twilight" hell!

Really I haven't seen it, but I'm disenchanted with everyone cashing in on vampires.
 #144684  by Shellie
 Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:26 pm
We just got a DVD with the first 2 episodes of The Tudors, US of Tara, and Nurse Jackie. woohoo! Working for the cable co. has its perks.
 #144685  by Mully
 Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:32 pm
Seraphina wrote:We just got a DVD with the first 2 episodes of The Tudors, US of Tara, and Nurse Jackie. woohoo! Working for the cable co. has its perks.
Like.......? (LOL)
 #144686  by Shellie
 Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:45 pm
Mully wrote: Like.......? (LOL)
Practically free services, swag, and a cush job isnt enough? :)
 #144688  by Mully
 Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:14 pm
Seraphina wrote:
Mully wrote: Like.......? (LOL)
Practically free services, swag, and a cush job isnt enough? :)
It was a "lol-ment." Jk
 #144691  by Shrinweck
 Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:27 pm
SineSwiper wrote:And where the hell is True Blood?
Too much lovey-dovey relationship stuff to cancel out the cool mythology of the series. And considering that the people I've heard from who've read the books say the books are even worse in this respect, so I don't see much hope of there being less in this new season.
 #144695  by Imakeholesinu
 Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:56 pm
SineSwiper wrote:Archer is pretty damn funny. I loved Frisky Dingo, and it has that same style of humor. I think Shellie didn't like it at first because she was expecting several big jokes out of the show, but the humor is basically a rapid-fire stream of smaller jokes throughout the entire show to make you smile the whole time.

And where the hell is True Blood?

Caught the first two episodes of Archer last night on Hulu. The "I love you Santa Clause." quote was priceless and "Karate? The Dane Cook of Martial art?"

True Blood is back in production. Coming back this summer.
 #144709  by SineSwiper
 Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:42 pm
Mully wrote:Burning in "Twilight" hell!

Really I haven't seen it, but I'm disenchanted with everyone cashing in on vampires.
Don't knock it. I was staying away from it because I thought it was going to be this Twilight wannabe and yeah, I thought they were trying to cash in on vampires. Didn't watch it for an entire season because I had my own prejudges against it.

However, the series is actually quite cool and the only vampire-themed story I know of where vampires co-exist (uneasily) with humans. It creating a very interesting dynamic that borders on political sometimes. Plus, the extra supernaturals in the story (not just vampires) makes it more enjoyable.

Yes, there's a lot of focus on Sookie and Bill, especially in the first few episodes, but you learn to like them pretty quickly, unlike the terribly written characters of Twilight.
 #144755  by Imakeholesinu
 Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:22 pm
Forgot this one as it started two days ago. Basically it is about young people in trendy NYC but I kind of liked the first episode of "How to make it in America". And yes, I have a thing for Shannyn Sossamon.
 #144763  by SineSwiper
 Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:47 pm
Imakeholesinu wrote:Forgot this one as it started two days ago. Basically it is about young people in trendy NYC but I kind of liked the first episode of "How to make it in America". And yes, I have a thing for Shannyn Sossamon.
And it is called?
 #144767  by Imakeholesinu
 Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:32 pm
SineSwiper wrote:
Imakeholesinu wrote:Forgot this one as it started two days ago. Basically it is about young people in trendy NYC but I kind of liked the first episode of "How to make it in America". And yes, I have a thing for Shannyn Sossamon.
And it is called?
 #144771  by SineSwiper
 Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:46 pm
Sorry, it seemed late in the sentence and I guess I was already wondering what you were talking about at that point.