The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Suck it Cameron....

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #144825  by Imakeholesinu
 Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:24 am
You just got put into the Hurt Locker.
 #144826  by Julius Seeker
 Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:48 am
2.6 billion dollars and a Golden Globe for best director and picture goes a lot further than an academy award under the new voting format allowing for a lower quality movie no one will even remember in 3 years.
 #144827  by Flip
 Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:19 pm
That last part is basically true, it will be forgotten. While im sure its a good movie, i hadnt even HEARD of Hurt Locker until the award time started coming around last month. Im not a huge movie buff, but just a normal news reading individual.

Good movies and award winners dont need to be remembered forever, though. HL will go on my queue once it pops on dvd.
 #144828  by Kupek
 Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:37 pm
Julius Seeker wrote:lower quality movie no one will even remember in 3 years.
In what way is Hurt Locker a lower quality movie?
 #144829  by Lox
 Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:45 pm
Kupek wrote:
Because it didn't make eleventy-billion dollars....duh!
 #144831  by Mully
 Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:10 pm
Flip wrote:
Good movies and award winners dont need to be remembered forever, though. HL will go on my queue once it pops on dvd.
It's on dvd already.
 #144832  by Julius Seeker
 Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:43 pm
Kupek wrote:
The same way that a movie like Cold Mountain is a lower quality movie than a movie like Return of the King.
 #144835  by Shrinweck
 Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:38 pm
Are we really going to be remembering Avatar any more fondly in three years? Blockbusters come and go just as easily.

Plus if anyone knew any fucking better The Road would have won. Or at least been fucking nominated. Fuck the Academy.
 #144836  by SineSwiper
 Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:25 pm
 #144837  by SineSwiper
 Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:28 pm
Flip wrote:While im sure its a good movie, i hadnt even HEARD of Hurt Locker until the award time started coming around last month. Im not a huge movie buff, but just a normal news reading individual.
Really? Where have you been? Even the occasional movie goer has heard of the Hurt Locker.
 #144839  by Zeus
 Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:10 pm
Do Oscars for anything aside from Documentary, Foreign, or Short Films even mean anything anymore?

Other than money....
 #144840  by Shrinweck
 Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:33 pm
SineSwiper wrote:

I get what you're doing here, I do, but if you saw The Road, especially as a new father, I'm pretty sure you'd agree with me.

Well. I guess depending on how much you even care about the Oscar's. Which I usually don't but not nominating The Road just seems a little odd.
 #144847  by SineSwiper
 Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:23 pm
Shrinweck wrote:I get what you're doing here, I do, but if you saw The Road, especially as a new father, I'm pretty sure you'd agree with me.

Well. I guess depending on how much you even care about the Oscar's. Which I usually don't but not nominating The Road just seems a little odd.
Actually, I was referring to Avatar. I award myself bonus points for using a Cameron flick to diss his movie.

I haven't seen the The Road. Heard it was pretty depressing.
 #144851  by Shrinweck
 Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:43 am
Ah, the events that unfold in it certainly are. Still, the book is dedicated to his young son. There's more to take away from it than the sad hype.
 #144924  by RentCavalier
 Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:02 pm
Shrinweck wrote:Ah, the events that unfold in it certainly are. Still, the book is dedicated to his young son. There's more to take away from it than the sad hype.
And goddamn, Viggo Mortenson is in some AMAZING fucking movies. I haven't seen the road, but after Hidalogo, Viggo has just stepped up and been in spectacular movie after spectacular movie that the critics just don't seem to get behind. Appalooza, Eastern Promises, and the Road looks nothing short of amazing. Aragorn has, in my eyes, been starring in incredible movie after incredible movie, and always seems to get passed up by the Academy.
 #144930  by Shrinweck
 Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:58 pm
He's young and a lot of his roles have that twang of desperation and carrying the burden of the world on their shoulders. He's great at it but they're all a bit like playing the same part with small differences. He's still young and they're waiting for him to branch out a bit, I imagine. But, yeah, you would imagine with his skill and a movie that's pretty much dedicated a majority to the character he plays, he would get at least a nod....
 #144967  by SineSwiper
 Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:05 am
Shrinweck wrote:He's young and a lot of his roles have that twang of desperation and carrying the burden of the world on their shoulders. He's great at it but they're all a bit like playing the same part with small differences. He's still young and they're waiting for him to branch out a bit, I imagine. But, yeah, you would imagine with his skill and a movie that's pretty much dedicated a majority to the character he plays, he would get at least a nod....
Sorta reminds me of Kevin Spacey. Excellent actor to a fucking core, but really didn't get his Oscar until his role on American Beauty.
 #144986  by SineSwiper
 Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:07 am
Actually, he did, but only for best Supporting Actor. His first Actors Oscar was American Beauty.
 #145389  by Chris
 Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:40 pm
I still think hurt locker is a better movie than Avatar which was the second best mans inhumanity movie that year behind District 9...Yes, District 9 pretty much had a similar message but was a far better movie than avatar.