The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Lost Series Finale

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #146635  by RentCavalier
 Mon May 24, 2010 2:17 am
Anyone else catch it? Holy. Fucking. Shit.

I liked it, but it sure was weird. Had a very "Donnie Darko" vibe, and it was a lot vaguer than I'd expected. What do you guys think?
 #146636  by Anarky
 Mon May 24, 2010 4:28 am
I think the finale was terrible. I really don't have a reason to go back and ever watch this show again knowing what the ending is. It failed to answer a lot of questions and felt anti-climactic.
 #146650  by Blotus
 Mon May 24, 2010 4:12 pm
I loved it and was cool with it being vague... wouldn't be Lost if everything was spelled out now would it? They could have explained it more, but I think it was a conscious decision in order to keep the mystery alive and keep people discussing and dissecting the lore long after the ending. The connection/realization scenes toward the end were beautifully done (esp Juliet/Sawyer), and the final scene... gah, the tears would not stop. The guy who does the score for the series does an amazing job.
 #146651  by Shrinweck
 Mon May 24, 2010 9:15 pm
Entertaining but that's about it. The questions they did answer had to do a lot more with magic and hokey electromagnetism then what sits well with me. I'd been waiting all season for a Miles episode and they didn't even give us one so that's a very good character that got almost completely shafted at the end. Not to mention what emotions I should have felt in the final scene were ruined by me remembering what my professor in an avant garde film class told me in college about mainstream media manipulating our emotions with light and music and in that capacity it did everything completely wrong (or right, you know what I'm saying).

The one thing it did do extremely well is it left what survivors there actually were with an idea of what to do next, but basically didn't explain what or how they were going to deal with it.

Honestly I don't give much of a fuck about this series any more. Any questions I still have are basically answered with "magic." OOoooOoooO.
 #146659  by Lox
 Mon May 24, 2010 11:08 pm
I liked it a lot. I need to stop and think about it for a bit to really "get" it, but that's kinda what I like. The thinking and discussion don't end with the series finale. And, yeah, those realization moments with the music got me. The Charlie-Claire one was my favorite.

I can respect why some people didn't like it, but I wasn't one of them.
 #146666  by Anarky
 Tue May 25, 2010 12:43 am
Does anyone else agree the finale ruins rewatching the series?
 #146667  by Shrinweck
 Tue May 25, 2010 2:45 am
I dread re-watching everything. The first season is so clearly the best that I'm going to have to force myself to forget what happens later when I eventually re-watch it.

Honestly, it would have been much more satisfying if they stuck with the Dharma Initiative and didn't address Jacob as anything other than a clever lie conceived by Ben and Christian just being a hallucination of a sleep deprived Jack.

Oh, who am I kidding
Attachments
FatJackShepard.jpg
 #146670  by Lox
 Tue May 25, 2010 8:14 am
Anarky wrote:Does anyone else agree the finale ruins rewatching the series?
It didn't for me. I'm going to finish my rewatch over the summer, in fact.
 #146683  by Anarky
 Tue May 25, 2010 9:36 pm
This guy hit the nail on the head on why I was disappointed:

#146685  by Shrinweck
 Tue May 25, 2010 10:33 pm
Sixteen minutes? I'm still kind of pissed off I've already spent 5-10 in this thread as it is :P