The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Any good anime?

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #146720  by SineSwiper
 Wed May 26, 2010 10:13 pm
Asking that question again. Haven't heard much from you guys about the latest hot anime, except for the occasional rant about Naruto. Anything really really worth watching, or is it just a slow year?
 #146723  by Eric
 Wed May 26, 2010 11:01 pm
Kiss X Sis for the lawls.
 #146725  by Shrinweck
 Wed May 26, 2010 11:28 pm
Are you talking about stuff that's currently airing? The best thing that's airing right now (and so I don't get into an argument - and isn't going to be going on for 200 odd episodes) is Arakawa Under the Bridge. It's about a main character who is obsessed with continuing his rich family's tradition of being elite business people. Their mantra is to never owe anyone anything. So the story with light spoilers goes as the main character almost dies and has his life saved and offers his savior whatever services they feel like would act as repayment. This repayment involves him living under a bridge with people that are crazier and kinkier than even his obsession is. The best subbing group is probably Formula. Well, at the very least they take the longest by far (a week to sub an episode as opposed to 2-3 days) so I'm going to trust them.

There's also Working!! but that shows good for nothing but some mindless laughs. It's about a guy who works (imagine that) at a restaurant. Hilarity and minor anime cliches follow.

There's also a soccer anime called Giant Killing that's getting a good amount of attention but I don't have any interest in getting into another sports anime unless they're up front about it not lasting 100-200 episodes.

Heroman is also something I haven't checked out but Marvel is involved and there's even a goddamned Stan Lee cameo in the first episode.

If you're talking about stuff that's been recently released and you can grab off Netflix then I'm going to have to say Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann. It's a show about doing bad ass mother fucking shit and big fucking robots. In that order. This show is about as good as anime ever gets without being Cowboy Bebop caliber.

This is by no means new but Mushi-shi is a really mellow anime that I'm not in the mood to describe right now because I'm not sure I could do it justice. If you want an anime to just chill out, lie down and watch good animation with nice, calming music this is probably up your alley.

But, yeah, stuff airing out of Japan has been pretty bad lately.

Edit: I forgot Working!! had two exclamation points.
 #146730  by Zeus
 Thu May 27, 2010 12:34 am
Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood. If you liked the original, you're going to adore the remake. It's WAY better with far more depth in it. It honestly puts the original to shame....and I really liked the original.
 #146737  by Imakeholesinu
 Thu May 27, 2010 9:48 am
I've been watching Gantz and it pretty much perpetuates the same complaints people on the board were voicing earlier this year. Less story, more perversion. Also, you would think Dubs would be better by now but they still sound like....shit.

I've been buying up old/out of print releases that I enjoyed back in High School or was too poor to buy at the time or bootlegged on VHS.

Oh and it is completely drug out. I think they could have done everything in like 8-12 episodes instead of 26. Lots of filler, long pauses...etc.

I need more big robot anime.
 #146772  by SineSwiper
 Sat May 29, 2010 12:15 pm
So, nothing that is "holy fucking awesome" like Death Note?
 #146783  by Zeus
 Sat May 29, 2010 2:50 pm
SineSwiper wrote:So, nothing that is "holy fucking awesome" like Death Note?
Yes there is: Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood. 58 eps in and it's still fucking phenomenal
 #146793  by Eric
 Sat May 29, 2010 4:37 pm
I wouldn't put Full Metal into the Code Geass or Death Note category.
 #146804  by SineSwiper
 Sat May 29, 2010 8:36 pm
Actually, I haven't seen Code Geass yet. Thanks for reminding me.
 #146809  by Zeus
 Sat May 29, 2010 8:42 pm
Eric wrote:I wouldn't put Full Metal into the Code Geass or Death Note category.
I adored Death Note and Full Metal to me is as close to that level of quality that I've seen since. And it's not far off at all. It's certainly the quality of good Naruto (which is back, BTW) with much nicer animation (at times). For fans of the original series (doesn't Shellie have that tatoo of the transmutation circle?) it's basically a must-watch IMO.
 #146812  by SineSwiper
 Sat May 29, 2010 8:46 pm
No, that was me. She has the Naruto leaf. That reminds me, I need to get that "true" ressurrection tat.
 #146826  by Zeus
 Sun May 30, 2010 10:06 am
SineSwiper wrote:No, that was me. She has the Naruto leaf. That reminds me, I need to get that "true" ressurrection tat.
If you're enough of a fan of the original to have a tatoo of a transmutation circle you really should be the first one in line to download the Eclipse subs that come out every Sunday. You have no idea what you're missing and how much more this new series is doing with the story, characters, world, everything. It's on a whole other level.
 #146838  by SineSwiper
 Sun May 30, 2010 11:44 pm
See, I don't watch an episode at a time for most anything. If I'm going to watch it, I'll watch a big chunk of it first. I think it's probably been running long enough to watch up to the current episodes, and then I'll look at it several months later.

No point in torturing yourself to wait for the next episode. I hated that shit with Naruto.
 #146853  by Zeus
 Mon May 31, 2010 5:56 pm
Yeah, there's something to be said 'bout that for sure. But it may be a while off before they end the show. And with 59 eps in the can, that's over 20 hours of content, it'll take you a while go get through it