The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Del Toro leaves The Hobbit

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #146861  by SineSwiper
 Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:46 am
Why is Peter Jackson not directing it?
 #146864  by Lox
 Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:04 am
I don't get why Jackson doesn't step up now to direct. He wasn't originally because of a legal dispute with the company that holds the rights. But, that has since been resolved.
 #146870  by Zeus
 Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:28 pm
Lox wrote:I don't get why Jackson doesn't step up now to direct. He wasn't originally because of a legal dispute with the company that holds the rights. But, that has since been resolved.
That had nothing to do with him not directing it (easy, Kup...). They had that all cleared up before he even agreed to produce and write it.

Who knows, maybe he will direct it now? I can't imagine what else is keeping him so busy down there
 #146878  by Lox
 Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:40 pm
Really? I could have sworn that was the reason and that they brought Del Toro in while it was still going on. What was the real reason? Just him doing other stuff?
 #146884  by RentCavalier
 Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:36 am
Well, fuck. If he's not doing the Hobbit, I'd at least like to see him doing that At the Mountains of Madness movie that he teased about a few years ago.
 #146886  by Julius Seeker
 Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:39 am
He is not completely off the project. Just a much marginalized role now.

Peter Jackson has other contracts to worry about. I know he has one that he doesn't think he'll be able to get out of, which conflicts with the current schedule. tORn has a number of articles up about the situation.

Who else besides Guillermo Del Toro or Peter Jackson can direct something like the Hobbit very well?
 #146894  by Zeus
 Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:04 pm
Lox wrote:Really? I could have sworn that was the reason and that they brought Del Toro in while it was still going on. What was the real reason? Just him doing other stuff?
That was cleared up before he decided to become producer and writer otherwise he would never have been involved in any way.

It seems like it was the standard "other committments" thing. I can't find an article from after they made up with Jackson, but this one suggests that he had some sort of other committments and couldn't be tied up 'til 2013, which is the original schedule for The Hobbit. One of them being the TinTin movies he and Speilberg were working on before he settled with New Line:

http://filmonic.com/peter-jackson-direct-hobbit-studios
 #146898  by Shrinweck
 Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:33 pm
Julius Seeker wrote:Who else besides Guillermo Del Toro or Peter Jackson can direct something like the Hobbit very well?

George Lucas.

*snicker*
 #146902  by Lox
 Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:47 pm
Shrinweck wrote:
Julius Seeker wrote:Who else besides Guillermo Del Toro or Peter Jackson can direct something like the Hobbit very well?

George Lucas.

*snicker*
FAIL.

I couldn't resist after seeing your post in Daily Stuph :)