The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• manga grabbag

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #147623  by Don
 Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:53 pm
Saint Seiya: Lost Canvas - I think in an attempt to outdo the original some of the stuff is getting too predictable. Yoma did a pretty good parody on the 'I am your father' theme but now it turned out even Tenma's mother was a bad guy. And seriously what kind of guardian is "The Owl?" Megaman didn't go to owl on their list of animal bosses until X4 and that's after 24 Mavericks. There's only like 8 or so Spectres themed after some kind of animals, and you had like Garuda, Gryphon, Wyvern, Behemoth, Phoenix, and now you got... Owl...

Dorabase - I picked up a new volume and this stuff is too much about baseball than cheating. I'm pretty sure there was only one game of baseball played in the original Doraemon that was ever legit (the one they had to use the Encyclopedia Galactica to verify that their team won a game legitmately for once). You're talking about a series where the characters have no qualms about using time travel to get a $5 rebate and thus changing history in the process, and apparently the baseball spinoff is supposed to be legitmately baseball? And yes stuff like the Q pitch (the ball makes the shape like Q) is legimate baseball in a series where the ability to destroy a planet can be purchased for $5 too since that's how advanced the society is.

I also noticed the main character's team is considered a weak team despite having 4 out of 9 players in the starting 9 in the Japanese All Stars and the cleanup hitter of USA All Stars. Maybe they're considered weak because they try to play legitmate (?) baseball?

One of the series I follow from Hong Kong apparently had a change of author halfway through its serialization, and the new guy apparently never read the original so there's some outright blatant contradiction, like say named henchman 1 died in in the first half and was back in the second half with no apparent explanation. I wonder how often something like that happens?
 #147630  by Don
 Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:58 pm
Oh, forgot to mention Prince of Tennis. This month it was pointed out that you shouldn't rely on winning by scoring just a SINGLE point. I mean there are sports manga where the concept of one hit-KO sort of applies even if it's not boxing, like you can say go for a homerun or a touchdown or a goal for the win, but how in the world does that work in tennis? One of the guys apparently relies on this move call the Southern Cross that knocks the other player to the fence and hopefully killing the player in the process forcing him to forfeit. It's never occured to that guy if this move doesn't kill the other guy then it's still only for one point!

We also learned Akaba's Super Saiyan/Devil Form turns out to have dangerous side effects. So apparently he must have some very irresponsible mentors that just told him to try this new technique even though it'd like kill you. I mean it's only called the Devil Form, not like anything dangerous can happen?