The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Catfish

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #148358  by Eric
 Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:00 am
Oh no you don't, I'm not getting Blair Witched again.
 #148359  by Mully
 Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:24 pm
DO IT, ERIC!
 #149221  by Mully
 Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:49 am
I saw this movie yesterday. I left feeling somewhat disappointed; I went in expecting Blair Witch, but it's a REAL documentary. The best way I've seen it described, "At the 2010 Sundance Film Festival, Alison Willmore of IFC described it as a "sad, unusual love story."

For all of you who want to know the plot, read below, I put the spoiler in "SPOILER CODE" there as well (I ripped this from Wikipedia so if you don't want it spoiled, don't go there):
wiki wrote: Young New York photographer Nev Schulman lives with brother Ariel and friend Henry Joost in New York. Abby Pierce, an eight-year-old child prodigy artist in rural Michigan, sends him a painting of one of his photographs. They become Facebook friends in a network that broadens to Abby's family, including her mother, Angela; Angela's husband; and Abby's attractive older half-sister Megan, a songwriter.

For a documentary, Ariel and Henry film Nev as he begins a long-distance relationship with Megan, conducted over the Internet and phone calls, and they discuss meeting in person...
Spoiler: show
She sends him MP3s of her songs, but Nev discovers that they are all taken from live performances on YouTube. He later finds evidence that Megan and Abby have made other false claims.

Ariel urges his upset brother to continue the relationship for the documentary. The siblings and Henry travel to Michigan to confront Megan. They discover that Angela is a housewife who cares for two disabled stepsons. Although Angela's husband exists, Megan does not and Abby is not a child prodigy. Angela is the artist, and created Megan as one of several internet aliases to support the fiction, which her family knows nothing about.
 #149225  by Eric
 Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:05 pm
Ha! :^)