The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• GameMP3s disappoints yet again...

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #148613  by SineSwiper
 Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:23 pm
I guess I'm figuring out why the Scott Pilgrim game OST is not on there: it's an American game. GameMP3s has an obsession with Japanese VGM, even with non-VG soundtracks, but it doesn't seem to care about the US ones. I remember I had to download the Bionic Commando Rearmed OST and Half-Life 2 OSTs on torrents and I can't find Darwinia on GameMP3s, either.

Anybody have a better source for this stuff? I guess I should be thankful that GameMP3s has what it has, but I'm disappointed that it seems to purposely not include good soundtracks from American games (with some rare exceptions).
 #148615  by Zeus
 Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:32 pm
You did see that the Red Dead Redemption soundtrack is available in the first torrent, yes? And you do know that game was developed in San Diego, yes?

Also, you're forgetting one very important thing: Japan has weekly game music releases. How many American games have their soundtracks released as anything other than special edition pack-ins? And they often have Halo, Gears, and other OSTs there. Just because they don't have the one game you want don't mean they suck.
 #148620  by bovine
 Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:54 pm
Zeus wrote:You did see that the Red Dead Redemption soundtrack is available in the first torrent, yes? And you do know that game was developed in San Diego, yes?

Also, you're forgetting one very important thing: Japan has weekly game music releases. How many American games have their soundtracks released as anything other than special edition pack-ins? And they often have Halo, Gears, and other OSTs there. Just because they don't have the one game you want don't mean they suck.

huh?

Also, if you were to look for this soundtrack right now on a torrent site, it might be there.
 #148622  by Zeus
 Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:04 pm
bovine wrote:
Zeus wrote:You did see that the Red Dead Redemption soundtrack is available in the first torrent, yes? And you do know that game was developed in San Diego, yes?

huh?

Also, if you were to look for this soundtrack right now on a torrent site, it might be there.
There are some American games that come with soundtracks, yes. Like the Red Dead Redemption one that's in the very first torrent pack on Gamemp3s.I was more commenting on the fact that Sine was dismissing the entire site because it didn't have one soundtrack and explaining to him why we see far more Jap ones
 #148626  by SineSwiper
 Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:56 pm
Zeus wrote:There are some American games that come with soundtracks, yes. Like the Red Dead Redemption one that's in the very first torrent pack on Gamemp3s.I was more commenting on the fact that Sine was dismissing the entire site because it didn't have one soundtrack and explaining to him why we see far more Jap ones
One? Try four (or more): Scott Pilgrim, anything from Half-Life 2, Darwinia, and Bionic Commando Rearmed. They won't pay attention to it unless it's mega huge, like RDR or Halo. No Splinter Cell, no Braid, no Hexic, no LOTRO, no Portal, no Silver, no System Shock 2. Yet I can find some obscure single from a game that nobody has heard of which was only released in Japan.

I'm not saying I won't use the site, but clearly the site is biased against most US VG OSTs.

Anyway, I was asking if there were other sites that had some of these other soundtracks. I could hunt for them on regular torrents, but most of the time, they are really sloppy with the formatting and quality. (I probably have to resort to that, anyway.)
 #148630  by Don
 Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:33 pm
I think in Japan people might actually feel some loyalty to the game maker who released those game music, and they seem to generate sales the same way an action figure would. In America people are equal opportunity pirates and won't be able to support this kind of model because video game OST tend to be grossly overpriced.

That said how hard can it possibly be to rip the soundtrack off a game? You'd think if there are people dedicated to scanning obscure manga no one has ever seen before, there's got to be someone doing this for music too.
 #148631  by Shrinweck
 Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:32 am
Well, how often do people want the ENTIRE soundtrack to an American game? Usually other than the theme song, you're lucky to have a handful of other ones, they're all typically unremarkable.

Edit: Half-Life 2? Wasn't that an honest-to-god soundtrack release? How can you expect a public sharing site to have something ready for honest-to-goodness sale, readily available for public download, that's trying to be sold like any other kind of regular CD?
 #148633  by SineSwiper
 Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:51 am
Shrinweck wrote:Well, how often do people want the ENTIRE soundtrack to an American game? Usually other than the theme song, you're lucky to have a handful of other ones, they're all typically unremarkable.
About as often as you want it for a entire soundtrack for a Japanese game.
Shrinweck wrote:Edit: Half-Life 2? Wasn't that an honest-to-god soundtrack release? How can you expect a public sharing site to have something ready for honest-to-goodness sale, readily available for public download, that's trying to be sold like any other kind of regular CD?
Yes, HL2 had a soundtrack release. All of these are CDs, even the Japanese one. You could probably find every one of these on Amazon or iTunes, but they are overpriced, as usual.
 #148636  by Zeus
 Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:29 am
SineSwiper wrote:Anyway, I was asking if there were other sites that had some of these other soundtracks. I could hunt for them on regular torrents, but most of the time, they are really sloppy with the formatting and quality. (I probably have to resort to that, anyway.)
Try Demonoid, they're usually good for that. Read the comments before you download, they're pretty good at pointing out the shit
 #148640  by Julius Seeker
 Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:13 pm
It is possible that the American ones aren't sold there because they don't exist? There seems to be more of an industry for gaming soundtracks in Japan than in the US. Most western titles with great soundtracks, that I have seen around, are those that use previously recorded material (IE, rockband and grand theft auto).
 #148643  by SineSwiper
 Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:27 pm
Not true. All of those that I named, with the exception of Braid, were original soundtracks. And Braid was made up of songs from a few indie artists on Magnatune.