The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Rubicon Season 1 (spoiler-free)

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #149529  by Zeus
 Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:20 am
No one here's mentioned this show so I'll assume at most one or two of you follow it

Unfortunately, like Breaking Bad, this is another AMC show with great ideas and a great setup but is absolutely hampered by amateurs. They have no idea how to keep tension going, how to nurture and expand storylines, and how to create real depth and instead resort to over-stretching out the few ideas they have, using useless dramatic scenes involving the depthless characters who no one cares about and forced interpersonal tension, and either tying up plot points waaaay too quickly or leaving them far too vague to mean anything. You could probably squeeze the entire 13 eps into 7 or 8 and fit so much more into the first season if the talent is there. Unfortunately, it's not.

Like Breaking Bad, I really, really want to like this show and I'd love to recommend it, but I can't. I keep watching (in chunks, ain't nothin' else really on TV right now; I'm hoping Walking Dead changes that - although it's also AMC - and I just finished grabbing the first couple of eps of Boardwalk Empire) hoping it will get better but it stays just very, um.....blah? That's probably the best way to put it. Not bad or anything but certainly feels like it should be a helluva lot better. Couple that with the fact that Dexter's been a bit slow 4 eps in (the end of the last ep showed a bit of promise on what's to come, though) and Naruto's back on filler for no reason, I'm left watching nothing but mediocre shows right now.