The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Zac Efron = Kaneda?

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #149947  by SineSwiper
 Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:32 am
At least he was in "Me and Orson Welles" directed by Richard Linklater, and in a episode of Firefly, and in a few episodes of Robot Chicken. So, the guy's got some indie street cred.
 #149955  by Zeus
 Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:43 pm
Do you see him as Kaneda? I don't....at all
 #149968  by SineSwiper
 Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:07 pm
Well, considering that all of the characters looked Japanese, and that they are looking towards a more Western audience, I don't think anybody would fit any of the roles.
 #149977  by Zeus
 Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:53 am
SineSwiper wrote:Well, considering that all of the characters looked Japanese, and that they are looking towards a more Western audience, I don't think anybody would fit any of the roles.
And this is why I'm very concerned about the film now. If you just take an idea of the source material and turn it into a film, you get SMB. You have to care about it in order for it to turn out well. Casting someone like Efron, a teeny-bopper actor with half the acting ability of DiCaprio or Reeves and you have to tailor the role to him. As Kaneda, that means most of the flick, and that's not good.

Let's hope to hell the rumour ain't true
 #149979  by bovine
 Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:37 pm
Zeus wrote:
SineSwiper wrote:Well, considering that all of the characters looked Japanese, and that they are looking towards a more Western audience, I don't think anybody would fit any of the roles.
And this is why I'm very concerned about the film now. If you just take an idea of the source material and turn it into a film, you get SMB. You have to care about it in order for it to turn out well. Casting someone like Efron, a teeny-bopper actor with half the acting ability of DiCaprio or Reeves and you have to tailor the role to him. As Kaneda, that means most of the flick, and that's not good.

Wait... Reeves? Are you referring to acting prodigy, Wild Stallions originating member, and star of Point Break - Keanu Reeves as an example of dramatic talent?
 #149984  by Zeus
 Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:56 pm
bovine wrote:
Zeus wrote:

Wait... Reeves? Are you referring to acting prodigy, Wild Stallions originating member, and star of Point Break - Keanu Reeves as an example of dramatic talent?
Referring to Keanu, he of extremely limited acting ability, like DiCaprio or Willis
 #150030  by SineSwiper
 Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:18 pm
Zeus wrote:And this is why I'm very concerned about the film now. If you just take an idea of the source material and turn it into a film, you get SMB. You have to care about it in order for it to turn out well. Casting someone like Efron, a teeny-bopper actor with half the acting ability of DiCaprio or Reeves and you have to tailor the role to him. As Kaneda, that means most of the flick, and that's not good.
Wow, okay, let's bring up a SMB movie reference. It was an horrible 80's VG movie. Akira is probably the most famous anime of all time. People that don't watch anime know that Akira is one of those top ones. That was totally apples and oranges.

Even then, who the hell ARE you going to cast with that role? Some know-nothing Japanese guy, just because he looks the part? Because that's what I'm hearing, yet you're bitching about acting ability in the same breath. At least Efron has some professional acting chops.

And it's has Morgan Fucking Freeman in it. Look, you can have this, or you can have the recent live action Dragonball movie. Which one do you want?
 #150046  by Zeus
 Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:15 pm
SineSwiper wrote:
Zeus wrote:And this is why I'm very concerned about the film now. If you just take an idea of the source material and turn it into a film, you get SMB. You have to care about it in order for it to turn out well. Casting someone like Efron, a teeny-bopper actor with half the acting ability of DiCaprio or Reeves and you have to tailor the role to him. As Kaneda, that means most of the flick, and that's not good.
Wow, okay, let's bring up a SMB movie reference. It was an horrible 80's VG movie. Akira is probably the most famous anime of all time. People that don't watch anime know that Akira is one of those top ones. That was totally apples and oranges.

Even then, who the hell ARE you going to cast with that role? Some know-nothing Japanese guy, just because he looks the part? Because that's what I'm hearing, yet you're bitching about acting ability in the same breath. At least Efron has some professional acting chops.

And it's has Morgan Fucking Freeman in it. Look, you can have this, or you can have the recent live action Dragonball movie. Which one do you want?
When you cast the star of High School Musical and one of the most sought-after young stars for paparazzi, you have baggage. I don't want baggage in my Akira, I just want Akira.

I don't care if the guy "looks" the, I care if the part is played the way it's intended to be played. He can be non-Japanese, blond or a red-head, and sound nothing like Kaneda, but he still has to be the character Kaneda. Don't bring in someone who changes the role, it's the role that matters. Honestly, it's better if they bring a relative unknown in. Even if Effron's in it, they're still not going to get the teeny-bopper crowd, so why try for that angle.

I luvs my Morgan Freeman and all, but this is not about him. He can't save the movie on his own
 #150051  by SineSwiper
 Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:24 pm
Zeus wrote:I don't care if the guy "looks" the, I care if the part is played the way it's intended to be played. He can be non-Japanese, blond or a red-head, and sound nothing like Kaneda, but he still has to be the character Kaneda. Don't bring in someone who changes the role, it's the role that matters. Honestly, it's better if they bring a relative unknown in. Even if Effron's in it, they're still not going to get the teeny-bopper crowd, so why try for that angle.
Quit trying to typecast the guy. Maybe the guy doesn't want to be typecasted by that one set of movies. Like I said earlier, the guy has some indie movie cred, so give the guy a chance. He started in that recent Charlie St. Cloud movie, which isn't exactly the kind of movie that I would watch, but at least it shows that he can give off some star presence.

And all of that is pretty damn good for a 17-year-old.