The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• manga update

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #151097  by Don
 Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:36 am
Path to God/Sealing of God (Hong Kong)

This is based on a famous Chinese folktale named Path to God about a bunch of guys who fought evil and then became gods after they're done (the premise is surprisingly similar to Islam) However the characters can also be read as "Sealing" instead of Path so this is a different take on the same story except the guys are fighting against the gods instead. This stuff is surprisingly good and everything actually makes sense, and the art is pretty good too. The last HK manga that started out this good turned out to be a total failure at the end, so here's hoping it's not an omen.

Ah My Goddess!

I forgot this thing is still ongoing. This reminds me of Hunter X Hunter in the sense that the author clearly doesn't care what you're thinking about him. The pace is slowwwwwww and you'll randomly lose an year of progress when the author decides to remind you about the new motorcycle he picked up but at least he puts something out every month unlike HXH. Right now the battle between Heaven and Hell is on the 5th stage which looks like it'll be decided with a karaoke contest. Although the story really makes no sense whatsoever, it's not like it ever did and it's just there for a reason for the girls to show up. The demons from Hell look a lot more interesting than the Goddesses, really.

Kuroko's Basket

Just because another manga tried to explain teleporting by 'blinking' doesn't mean it's a good idea to steal a failed idea. I don't understand why people don't just get on the ground and do a sweep against any 'teleport' move. Assuming you believe the guy isn't really teleporting by magic this will definitely break his leg and stop his teleport trick cold, and probably get rid of that guy for good. Everyone knows referees in Japanese sports is about as reliable as ones in professional wrestling, and people clearly die from Japanese sports all the time so it's not like this is even a big deal. I find the notion of a basketball team that manages to send like 3 guys on the other team to stretchers per game to be a bit ridiculous. It's probably borrowed from Eyeshield 21 except getting hurt is comparatively normal in American Football, and even there it's a stretch. At any rate like I said you're a team that probably doesn't care you're breaking someone's legs or ankles so why not do a sweep kick when Kuroko is doing his teleport move to stop it?

Saint Seiya: Next Dimension

The author of Kindachi once joked there should be a story where everyone besides Kindaichi turns out to be evil. Well this is what Next Dimension is. Apparently every gold saint betrayed Sanctuary and now they're beating each other up because there are limited spots for traitors to join Hades's Specters. I'm guessing Kuramada needs the money so he has no choice. I also saw a new version of Yugioh out. It's amazing what people will do for money!

Fate/Zero

I like the Fate series but I never thought the story was as good as people said it was (only 1 out of 3 routes are good). I think they got someone who is known for writing for Fate/Zero but you can't write your way out of the hole Fate has unless you're a world-class author and it shows. In Fate/Stay Night Shirou Emiya's ability to regenerate from anything besides a decapitation already made the whole premise rather ridiculous, but in Fate/Zero Kiritsugu Emiya starts out knowing how to use the Avalon, and Irisviel von Einzbern is like an Ilya that actually knows how to use offensive magic. He even has minions! I guess Kinoko Nasu has some kind of Gilgamesh fetish. I just looked it up and Gilgamesh has 1.9 million hits on Google, while King Arthur has 11 million and Hercules has 29 million, so if the Hero's power is based on their popularity Gilgamesh couldn't possibly touch those two. I mean it'd make more sense if Archer was say... Goku, who at least has 8.5 million hits (Fate doesn't care about the origin of the heroes at all). I really don't get how people can read Fate and not wonder why it isn't the case like Ilya suggested, whoever summons Arthur/Artoria Pendragon just curbstomp rest of the heroes while the Master stays at home partying all day. Saber just has a ridiculous number of category where she's A++ or even EX at. She's got a higher magic rating than the Caster-type heroes and she has complete magic immunity. How does she ever lose?

I think they try to weasel their way out of this by saying Artoria is weak against Dragonbane weapons but I thought Dragon/Godbane weapons exist because otherwise there would be no way to hurt such beings, so a Dragonbane weapon can actually do some damage to Artoria as opposed to just doing an unconditional 0 damage just like Godbane weapons can at least do some damage to Hercules.