The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Grammy history last night

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #151341  by Don
 Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:21 pm
Seems like a completely arbitrary and pointless award. If they awarded that to Eyes on Me does that change anything?
 #151347  by Kupek
 Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:11 pm
I'm not sure if you understand the award. It was not an award for the best videogame song of the year. It was the award for "Best Instrumental Arrangement Accompanying Vocalists" which just so happens to have been originally composed for a videogame. The significance is that mainstream critics usually don't recognize the art in videogames as art.
 #151349  by Don
 Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:13 pm
Err yeah I know what the award is for. How exactly is the video linked any different from say One Winged Angel or any of the hundreds of video game songs that featured some kind of choir and some kind of singing? Civ 4 has been out for a while so I assume it's not just something nobody has heard of that suddenly came out of nowhere. So yeah a bunch of guys changed their mind on what is art on a category that's almost entirely subjective. So? Maybe next year they'll decide to give it to a remix of One Winged Angel or whatever. How do you honestly say how good someone is singing or not in a language you don't can't even comprehend? It's like asking is Mozart better than Beethoven. You can't even have a remotely objective criteria to judge these things.

I'd be more impressed if a video game music hit top 10 selling on music as opposed to gaining the appropriate to a bunch of critics in an ivory tower.
 #151350  by Julius Seeker
 Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:03 am
I've always thought the Civilization series had great music. Civ 2, in my opinion, still remains the best.

Why Civ 4 now? It is probably a result of the composer releasing it on his album last year.
 #151353  by Don
 Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:32 pm
Civ music seems to fit with the generic grandoise/epic type that'd do well in such awards, but I don't think it was any more special compared to other games with good music.

If I hired the choir that did Civ 4 to do Hunter versus Hunter on Megaman, what's stopping them from winning the same award? Well I guess Megaman music isn't quite right for this kind of stuff, so I can hire someone to rewrite the music into something that fits their expectation.
 #151356  by Kupek
 Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:59 pm
I can't speak Italian, but I can tell that opera singers are damned good.

Anyway, it doesn't change my opinion at all. It's just interesting.
 #151360  by Flip
 Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:09 am
Kupek wrote:It's just interesting.
Exactly the point.