The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Evangelion 2.22

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #151823  by Imakeholesinu
 Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:10 am
Pre-ordered mine over the weekend off Amazon. For $10 I also picked up 1.11 on Blu-Ray which is supposed to have some added features or featurettes I guess. They changed the date on this one also saying it was going to be coming out in April at first and then the bumped it up a whole month. Wednesday I will be totally nerding out at home.

Anyone have any experience with Pre-orders over amazon? Reason I ask is because it says that the delivery date will be on the 29th. I thought they would ship it then.
 #151937  by Imakeholesinu
 Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:12 pm
ITS HERE!!! YAY!
 #151962  by Imakeholesinu
 Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:48 pm
Wow, this is somewhat a departure of the events and storyline of the original series. Renaming a character, adding a new character with new features. Changing a major characters storyline. Definitely a "Break" from the original series. I'm not sure how I feel about it really, but we'll see I guess. Also make sure to wait till after the credits roll.

Oh and Funimation really did a shitty job of doing some of the script writing and interpretations. I don't speak (a lot) of japanese but from what I do remember they could have translated some things better and some things right ( I noticed a couple of times when characters would count they missed numbers or were off by numbers).
 #152067  by Shrinweck
 Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:16 pm
Imakeholesinu wrote:Oh and Funimation really did a shitty job

That's too bad I'm typically a fan of what they release. I'm waiting for them all to get released before I watch any of 'em.
 #152068  by Imakeholesinu
 Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:31 pm
I guess it is personal preference but I think they could have left a lot of the things that they were trying to translate alone. It almost seemed like they were trying to dumb the script down a bit.
 #152069  by Shrinweck
 Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:55 pm
Yeah sometimes it's unavoidable, though. Probably going to pick up fanmade subtitle translations and find some way to loop them over the finished released product.
 #152447  by Imakeholesinu
 Fri May 06, 2011 11:15 am
Spoiler alert!
Spoiler: show
So I've watched the film two more times and actually I like the more I watch it where they are taking the series but I've noticed several things. It isn't all about Shinji! I know right? But actually his character doesn't feel like the main focus. It felt more like everyone (except the minor characters [Ritsuko, Kaji, Mari, Fuyuski]) are seeing pretty equal screen time. The main focus appears to be on Shinji, Rei, Asuka, and Misato and even her role in this film has been somewhat diminished. Also, Shinji doesn't seem like the weak whiny kid he was in the series. He seems a bit more confident and less indecisive. Also, he doesn't shun the people around him, rather he wants to keep them close to him and doesn't want to hurt them hence why he goes against his dad when he has to fight Unit-03 and why he decides to save Rei from the 10th Angel. Rei actually becomes a bit more human and Asuka gets a complete makeover and that seems like it is a major plot point that she wants to be alone but then ends up relying heavily on the other characters.

I hope the next episode they go into more of Mari's character.