The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Are we all sick of reboots yet?

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #151953  by Zeus
 Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:35 pm
I don't know about you guys, but I'm not a fan of this trend by Hollywood to take these long-standing franchises and reboot them every time a director leaves or they wanna re-cast the lead role. We've already seen it with Spidey, Superman, and Batman, will likely see it with The Fantastic Four if Marvel can every pry it away from Fox, and now it looks like they're gonna re-boot Batman yet again after Nolan leaves

http://www.torontosun.com/entertainment ... story.html

This is where having a company like Marvel taking care of its own franchises the way it wants stops these reboots from happening. They have an issue with Norton as the Hulk? Dump him and give it to Ruffalo in The Avengers. Terrance Howard dares to ask to be paid what he's worth? Dump him and replace him for the sequel. Iron Man 2 not go the way you like? Screw Favreau over and replace him with some nobody while denying him The Avengers and giving it to Whedon.

I don't want to see a different or new take on an origin story or even a new style every few years. The one thing Superman reboot did well is it didn't ignore the Donner films, it ignored the last two silly ones (there were a lot of other issues with the flick, but that was one thing it did well). Can't WB just let someone else continue the storyline of Batman from the Nolan flicks and just add their own style? Do we HAVE to see another reboot/re-imagining/re-whatever yet again?
 #151954  by Eric
 Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:24 pm
We haven't REALLY seen it with Spidey yet, as the new movie isn't out! And as fun as Spider-man was on the big screen, it had a lot of goofy issues I could list off here if I really wanted that would make you facepalm every time you re-watch them. (That goofy scene on the rooftop with Peter and the Green Goblin was cringe worthy).

The Superman reboot was boring, good god that was the most boring Superhero movie I've ever seen, and it needs to be rebooted once again to see if they can get it right. Let's not act like the Donner films were perfect, there was a great deal of nonsense in those movies, they gave Superman random super powers he doesn't have(I throw the S on my chest at you!...wait what?). They were decent movies for their time, but in this age where people can just Google to find out who Superman is and what powers he has, it wouldn't fly.

Reboot it, get the powers right, everyone wants to be the next Batman Begins/The Dark Knight.
 #151955  by Chris
 Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:26 pm
Part of the issue is that the WB is taking a heavier interest in DC> Green Lantern is being built to tie in to superman and lead to a new JL movie for instance. However Batman doesn't fit into that. You can't really use the Nolan Batman as in his world....Batman is the only thing like him. There isn't a superman or a flash. To be able to do the marvel thing the WB needs to relaunch Batman to fit in with the plans they want to use to create a cohesive universe. (Also marvel won't get anything back from fox until contracts completely run out. Fox won't give it back to them. IT's the same way they can't use Scarlet Witch and QUicksilver in an avengers flick simply because they are mutants. Fox own the rights to every single mutant character. but you can bet as soon as they revert back there will be a relaunch to fit in with the cohesive universe plans.
 #151959  by Kupek
 Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:18 am
Personally, I enjoy seeing new takes on various characters. Maintaining continuity across many movies gets tiresome, so let each creative team do their thing. The Batman Begins Batman is very much Nolan's Batman. I see no reason to force another creative team to inherit it.

Consider X-Men. I thought the first two movies were great. The third had its moments, but as a whole I was disappointed. But they killed Cyclops and Xavier. (Can't remember what happened to Jean and Magneto.) Killing important characters is acceptable in the service of a good story, but I'd rather see an X-Men movie with those two characters in it. And so would many other people, hence the upcoming half prequel, half reboot thing.

Comic book superheroes are modern-day versions of the Greek's mythological heroes. I get more enjoyment out of seeing creative teams doing their own thing with the mythology than seeing them be forced to contort their ideas into someone else's universe.
 #151967  by SineSwiper
 Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:33 am
TFA wrote:Movie bosses behind the Batman franchise have confirmed the Caped Crusader will return in a reboot following Christopher Nolan's upcoming third film - sparking rumours they are already hunting for an actor to take over from Christian Bale.
They might as well rename the article: "Next Batman will suck and bomb!"

It was good while it lasted.
 #151970  by Kupek
 Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:37 am
Would you rather see an entirely different creative team try to mimic someone else's work? Look at the full crew for Batman Begins (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0372784/fullcredits) and for The Dark Knight (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0468569/fullcredits). The jobs that had consistent people across those two movies: Director, writers, producers, music, editing, casting, production design, art direction and costume design. I presume the third will be similar.

These three movies are very much the product of a creative team. Once they're done, that version of Batman is done. I'd rather see a new group do their thing than force them to try to mimic what Nolan's group did just because it was good. That's when you get works that are creatively bankrupt.
 #151972  by Don
 Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:30 pm
Consider sequels of most stuff invariably fail to live up to expectations I don't think it's a bad idea to just have a different take on what worked the first time. There's probably a limited pool of interesting concepts that can actually work so you exhaust them as you make sequels.
 #151977  by Flip
 Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:38 pm
I agree with Kup, remakes are cool when there is an entirely different team behind them pumping out their version. I'd prefer to see less sequels and more broad changes among the writers and directors. Did i really need to see Spidey 3? No, but i would pay to see Spiderman 1 redone, entirely, again, with Vin Diesel!

I've never been a fan of comics or comic heroes, so there havnt really been any movies on material i would like to see this done, but i suspect a Batman fan is happy with the revamps every so often.
 #151978  by Shrinweck
 Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:18 pm
I'm kinda fine with reboots. I wish they'd make a movie or three about the Marvel Civil War series, though. Spiderman making his identity public would make for a great movie alone. Throw in Captain America being awesome and Iron Man being a dick and I'd buy that blu-ray. The cast wouldn't have to be that crazy either because most mutants aren't mutants any more.

Silver Surfer Requiem would make for a great movie too but that's never happening. Not even sure how you'd make that movie.
 #151980  by SineSwiper
 Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:10 am
Kupek wrote:Would you rather see an entirely different creative team try to mimic someone else's work? Look at the full crew for Batman Begins (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0372784/fullcredits) and for The Dark Knight (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0468569/fullcredits). The jobs that had consistent people across those two movies: Director, writers, producers, music, editing, casting, production design, art direction and costume design. I presume the third will be similar.

These three movies are very much the product of a creative team. Once they're done, that version of Batman is done. I'd rather see a new group do their thing than force them to try to mimic what Nolan's group did just because it was good. That's when you get works that are creatively bankrupt.
It's creatively bankrupt when you do a "reboot" of a series that has only lasted two movies within five years or so. Either stick with the same team and star, or move on and think of something else.
 #151992  by Zeus
 Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:01 am
Shockingly, you guys seem to think opposite of me in this particular respect. *sarcasm alert*

I would prefer more continuity myself as opposed to rebooting just 'cause there's someone else who's doing it now. I'll go back to Superman Return as a good idea (not necessarily execution) in that they said "the first two films were good, let's ignore the last two and make a third in trilogy". You could do the same with Spidey where you properly re-tell the story of Venom and maybe have one more villain in there but continue on with the first two films, which are widely loved. I don't think anyone here would complain too much about that. And what's better, that or going to fucking high school with Spidey?

You could easily do the same with X-Men and maybe properly re-tell the story of Phoenix where not everyone, including Xavier and Cyclops, dies stupidly. Keep McKellen and Stewart, maybe Jackman, and you can replace practically every other actor so it feels like a new movie.

Nolan's Batman will hopefully not suck. If it's good, the way he leaves his movies, it's very easy for anyone to come in at any timeline and just add their own story to a well-established universe. There's ZERO reason to reboot, just re-style while maintaining continuity with the prior movies. Much better IMO, but obviously I'm in the minority here.
 #151998  by Shrinweck
 Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:59 am
Creatively bankrupt? It's pathetic how many original movies are made now. To be fair, movies that stick with us from the past aren't exactly numerous either, but it's just silly with remakes and such today. Same thing going on with video games. The only creatively different franchise that comes to mind, with each iteration being different going on right now is Jackass. Which is kind of sad. Even with how creative they can be.
 #152006  by SineSwiper
 Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:55 am
Zeus wrote:Shockingly, you guys seem to think opposite of me in this particular respect. *sarcasm alert*
Hey, I agree with you. I think the reboot is idiotic.
Zeus wrote:Nolan's Batman will hopefully not suck. If it's good, the way he leaves his movies, it's very easy for anyone to come in at any timeline and just add their own story to a well-established universe. There's ZERO reason to reboot, just re-style while maintaining continuity with the prior movies. Much better IMO, but obviously I'm in the minority here.
Why even do that? Why not just do three or four movies and then it's done? No more movies or reboots or whatever on the subject for another 10-20 years. Anything else is just driving the character into the ground.

It's been a standard practice for years and for good reason. People need time for the character to be old news, before refreshing it with a reboot.
 #152009  by Kupek
 Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:40 am
SineSwiper wrote:It's creatively bankrupt when you do a "reboot" of a series that has only lasted two movies within five years or so. Either stick with the same team and star, or move on and think of something else.
Why? That is, what does rebooting a series no matter how long it's been mean the effort is creatively bankrupt? I see no connection.
 #152013  by Zeus
 Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:21 pm
SineSwiper wrote:It's been a standard practice for years and for good reason. People need time for the character to be old news, before refreshing it with a reboot.
And if it's been 10-15 years, it may be necessary. That's why people were sayin' "I hope this Superman Returns is great, been a while". But we're looking the Spidey reboot in the face only what, 4 years later? Nolan's film is over a year away and they're already talking reboot for #4? It's just too much
 #152014  by Zeus
 Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:23 pm
Kupek wrote:
SineSwiper wrote:It's creatively bankrupt when you do a "reboot" of a series that has only lasted two movies within five years or so. Either stick with the same team and star, or move on and think of something else.
Why? That is, what does rebooting a series no matter how long it's been mean the effort is creatively bankrupt? I see no connection.
He's referring to going back to redoing origin stories with different people. Re-treading old ground with just enough new stuff to say "hey, it's all new!".
 #152033  by SineSwiper
 Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:09 am
Kupek wrote:Why? That is, what does rebooting a series no matter how long it's been mean the effort is creatively bankrupt? I see no connection.
Well then, why stop at one movie? Why not make all movies Batman with different directors? Does that sound creatively bankrupt?

Same concept. They weren't digging back very far when they said "Hey, let's make Batman reboot", compared to, say, "Hey, let's make an Seven Samurai remake". Granted, neither one is all that creative, but at least Seven Samurai isn't exactly fresh on everybody's mind.
 #152037  by Shrinweck
 Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:51 pm
I get what you're saying, but... why reboot Seven Samurai? That's a pretty shitty move. It doesn't need to be done and modernizing that shit makes me want to puke into my own mouth. Not to mention in some ways it's been done. And not well.
 #152038  by SineSwiper
 Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:56 pm
Shrinweck wrote:I get what you're saying, but... why reboot Seven Samurai? That's a pretty shitty move. It doesn't need to be done and modernizing that shit makes me want to puke into my own mouth. Not to mention in some ways it's been done. And not well.
Huh? I enjoyed Seven Samurai. It was a bit long, but overall, a good movie. Many people consider it a classic.

As far as the remakes, the only ones I know of are The Magnificent Seven and that futuristic anime based around it.
 #152039  by Shrinweck
 Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:21 pm
Yeah I'm just saying rebooting Seven Samurai is a lot different then Batman and should only be done if there's a fair guarantee on it being good. Whereas Batman doesn't need to have that kind of guarantee because it's based off a graphic novel and it's not like ALL the Batman comics are good.

Haha "bit" long. God, there was a misprint on the runtime when I rented it on VHS to watch it for the first time and it just KEPT GOING. I loved it but good lord I didn't expect it to be that long.
 #152041  by Shrinweck
 Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:07 pm
I never got more than a few episodes in before I stopped. Netflix won't stop recommending it to me, though.
 #152104  by Kupek
 Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:44 am
SineSwiper wrote:Well then, why stop at one movie? Why not make all movies Batman with different directors? Does that sound creatively bankrupt?
Slippery slope isn't a reason. It's the fear of a reason arising.

Consider The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. I've read the three books and seen the Swedish movies - which are excellent. The movies are missing some feel of the books - mostly, the feeling of things taking a long time - but I loved watching Swedish actors actually in Sweden. Part of the charm of the books was having a window into Swedish culture. (Well, considering the heavy themes of the books, "charm" might be too light-hearted, but I don't have another word for it.)

Then I found out Hollywood is remaking them, implicitly because Americans don't like to read while watching movies. I thought this was unnecessary. Then I found out it's being directed by David Fincher (Fight Club, The Social Network, Benjamin Button, The Game, Seven) and it will have Rooney Mara (cute girl in beginning of Social Network), Daniel Craig, and Stellan Skarsgård. Well, shit. Those people are involved in good movies. Then I decided that as long as it's good, I have no problem seeing an American take on the series.
 #152107  by SineSwiper
 Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:40 pm
"Let Me In" was unnecessary and a dumb re-title of a movie.
 #152108  by Kupek
 Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:15 pm
Sturgeon's law: 90% of everything is crap. You can't hold up one bad example of something, or even most of them, and say the entirety of the class it belongs to is crap because most things in most things are crap.
 #152117  by Shrinweck
 Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:31 pm
Let Me In was also a fairly decent movie. Unnecessary, sure, but it's good material and most people aren't going to watch the foreign movie original.