The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Whoa, baby, HBO Go...

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #152299  by Flip
 Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:29 pm
I just signed up for HBO (sigh, Game of Thrones, what i do for you) and if youre a subscriber you get free access to HBO Go, which has EVERYTHING on the channel to stream. Its great, i know im a few seasons behind on a lot of shows with the huge delay they have to Netflix. Im sure this is old news, but just wanted to mention it in case any other people here with HBO havent explored the site!
 #152300  by Zeus
 Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:36 pm
Flip wrote:I just signed up for HBO (sigh, Game of Thrones, what i do for you) and if youre a subscriber you get free access to HBO Go, which has EVERYTHING on the channel to stream. Its great, i know im a few seasons behind on a lot of shows with the huge delay they have to Netflix. Im sure this is old news, but just wanted to mention it in case any other people here with HBO havent explored the site!
Does it go right up to the most recently-aired episode? How long of a delay is there between airing and availability for streaming?

It's great if it's the day after airing, almost makes torrents for HBO shows obsolete (I saw "almost" 'cause some of us like to actually have copies of the eps). Particularly since so many TV packages come with HBO to begin with.
 #152302  by Lox
 Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:14 pm
That's pretty nice. The Android/iPhone apps for streaming HBO Go are coming on May 5, too.

I got Verizon to give me 3 months of HBO for free so that I can watch GoT. :) I'll check this out while I have it.
 #152305  by Flip
 Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:42 pm
Zeus wrote:
Flip wrote:I just signed up for HBO (sigh, Game of Thrones, what i do for you) and if youre a subscriber you get free access to HBO Go, which has EVERYTHING on the channel to stream. Its great, i know im a few seasons behind on a lot of shows with the huge delay they have to Netflix. Im sure this is old news, but just wanted to mention it in case any other people here with HBO havent explored the site!
Does it go right up to the most recently-aired episode? How long of a delay is there between airing and availability for streaming?

Im not sure, ill test it after i watch the 2nd ep of Game of Thrones and see if it is up the following day. This is like Netflix Watch it Now for only HBO, but better, because its HBO...

Also, in my HBO research, i found that if you have direct TV there is no commitment. You can activate HBO for the $15 a month or so and then turn it off a few months later if you want, which is nice.
 #152316  by Flip
 Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:57 pm
Yeah GoT Episode 2 is already on HBO Go. Leave it to HBO to have no delay in getting it online. Sometimes you get what you pay for, in a good way!, with subscription services
 #152321  by Lox
 Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:15 am
Very cool! Now I don't have to keep every episode of GoT on my DVR for re-watching. :)
 #152329  by Zeus
 Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:17 am
Flip wrote:Yeah GoT Episode 2 is already on HBO Go. Leave it to HBO to have no delay in getting it online. Sometimes you get what you pay for, in a good way!, with subscription services
Good on HBO, very smart. You almost eliminate the effectiveness of torrents with that. I think that'll become more the norm sooner rather than later.

Of course, us Canadians don't actually subscribe directly to HBO (we get HBO Canada through The Movie Network) so even those who legitimately pay for it will have to resort to torrents after-the-fact.
 #152344  by Imakeholesinu
 Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:21 pm
That's the thing, why pay for HBO when you can torrent everything? I have DirecTV's Premier package so that includes HBO. I probably will use the service at some point.
 #152345  by Flip
 Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:14 pm
Imakeholesinu wrote:That's the thing, why pay for HBO when you can torrent everything? I have DirecTV's Premier package so that includes HBO. I probably will use the service at some point.
Im still trying my best to be legit and torrent free. I use a subscription music service, Rhapsody, and dont usually watch stuff i cant stream off of Amazon, Netflix, or now HBO Go. HBO is $15 in my area and since im in a lull on my netflix i turned down my 3 disks at a time ($18 a month) to 1 at a time ($8) to try and help mitigate the costs.

In addition, you cant beat the quality the streaming services provide, it is HD and beautiful. You can watch it right away and not have to wait for the torrent to download. Its very convenient and no one will be busting down my door with a badge.
 #152351  by Imakeholesinu
 Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:15 pm
I just hope at somepoint they expand it to where the GO client is already embedded or can be added to your internet connected TV. That would be sweet.
 #152357  by Lox
 Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:09 am
Agreed. I would probably subscribe to HBO if I could easily stream it to my TV.

I am planning on building my own DVR at some point, so that might solve that issue.
 #152360  by Imakeholesinu
 Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:24 am
Hell, just allowing me to use my PS3 to stream shit would be nice a la netflix.