The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• I've been on this British artist kick lately...

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #152492  by Imakeholesinu
 Fri May 13, 2011 6:53 pm
Whether it be the Streets, Lily Allen, Eliza Doolittle or DubStep, I'm in love with the stuff coming out of the UK right now.
 #152496  by Imakeholesinu
 Sat May 14, 2011 10:09 am
I love Florence and the Machine!
 #152497  by Flip
 Sat May 14, 2011 3:30 pm
Ive been into the folky indie stuff with the likes of Fleet Foxes, Iron & Wine, Mumford (way over exposed right now though), The Cave Singers, and Akron/Family, etc.
 #152498  by Shrinweck
 Sat May 14, 2011 4:59 pm
Folky indie stuff bores me nowadays but Florence and the Machine is as close as I can get to it these days. Random fact, a teacher in my high school played drums with Iron & Wine on what I believe was their first album.

Other than Florence and the Machine I'm basically only been listening to Radiohead, Autolux, and PJ Harvey's new album.
 #152503  by Julius Seeker
 Sun May 15, 2011 10:06 am
Of the ones you mentioned, I am a ****ing huge Lily Allen fan, I love her mockney accent, LOVE IT! I really enjoy a wide range of her stuff, but the hook from The Fear is probably my favourite bit.

Plus her music mashes surprisingly well with Tupac

#152510  by Imakeholesinu
 Mon May 16, 2011 2:21 pm
That's fucking awesome Seek. It does mash well. The Fear hook is what got me into her stuff a lot. You should check out Eliza Doolittle, kinda similar sound but less angry and jaded.

I haven't really gotten into Mumford and Sons but they've been all the rage. What I have been listening to Ra Ra Riot. Apparently the lead singer from that group also did a indie electronic album under a band named Discovery which is fucking awesome and has a track with the dude from Vampire Weekend.

#152512  by Imakeholesinu
 Mon May 16, 2011 5:00 pm
Oh and pampalmoose. I find her oddly cute and attractive.
 #153521  by SineSwiper
 Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:54 pm
I remember, like, 13 years ago, when I suddenly realized that 80% of the stuff me and my parents listened to was British, including some of the electronica I was starting to listen to:

Led Zeppelin
King Crimson
Yes
Chemical Brothers
Orbital
The Orb
Camel
Gong
Jeff Beck
Garbage
Rush
The Who
UK (duh!)
Genesis / Peter Gabriel
The Police / Sting
Fatboy Slim
Curve
Republica
Fluke
Future Sound of London (duh!)
Sneaker Pimps
Massive Attack
Radiohead

All British. All of that. Most of these were big favorites of mine, too.
 #153550  by Kupek
 Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:02 pm
Imakeholesinu wrote:I love Florence and the Machine!

I did like half of my dissertation work in this one coffee shop in Blacksburg. A girl who worked there had this song in a mix, and it really stuck with me. This version is an amazing live performance.
 #153588  by Julius Seeker
 Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:35 am
Actually, Garbage is an American band formed in Wisconsin by Butch Vig - Shirly Manson was recruited for vocals and is the only member of the band from the UK (she's Scottish).

Rush is 100% Canadian. I guess Canada is kind of like the UK.

Anyway, for older British stuff - I have always liked the New Wave and Post Punk scene of the late 70's and 80's. Any music that has an element of fun in it.

I loved this 1983 rendition of Helter Skelter by Siouxsie and the Banshees

"Well you may be a lover but you ain't no fucking dancer!"

She's Lost Control by Joy Division in '79 is an interesting place to start with this band

And their successor band, New Order - which is a less artsy, more emotional, more fun - but still captures the same general spirit. While Blue Monday is the soong I seem to hear covered the most, my favourite New Order song is their 1987 single True Faith -

Game's Without Frontiers by Peter Gabriel and Kate Bush is another one of my favourite UK hits from the 80's
 #153646  by SineSwiper
 Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:01 pm
My dad was always a fan of The Tubes, even though it was completely against his usual genres. I was never much of a New Wave fan, but I could at least see the talent with these guys without actually liking them. To me, it characterized what was wrong with the 80's.

#153651  by Imakeholesinu
 Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:51 pm

The XX remixing Florence and the machine. AWESOME!