The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• some manga I bought

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #154766  by Don
 Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:04 pm
Right now there isn't anything noteworthy on the serialization scene so I bought some stuff for a change.

New Prince of Tennis V5 - AKA the X-ray episode. As one reviewer puts it, this is what sets NPoT from nearly just suck since it takes bad to an art form. This arc is about how a guy trained himself to develop X-ray vision and then apply it to the game of tennis and apparently gaining some kind of advantage from that (it seems his enemy have Naruto eye powers and X-ray vision prevents it from working, or something). If you've never seen Prince of Tennis, you should check this one out because this is pretty crazy even by PoT standards, since it's not even clear how this power could help you become better at tennis to begin with.

Dorabase V17 - Dorabase, if you recall, is a story about robot cat overlords (designated Dora-XYZ or XYZ-emon) playing baseball in the 22nd century. The main character's team, the Doras, has 5 out of the 9 players in the starting lineup in team Japan, including the best 3 players (starting pitcher, #3 batter, #5 batter). Inexplicably, the Doras are always the underdogs even though not even the New York Yankees boost this kind of dominance. Their eternal rival is Shiroemon, who is Japan's #2 pitcher, but for the most part it seems like Kuroemon and Aemon of the Doras absolutely pound this guy and Shiroemon went through multiple shoulder replacements just to try to stay ahead of them (though replacing a shoulder probably isn't a big deal for a robot).

Kuroemon, Aemon, and Takaemon were intentionally walked on every single at bat in the championship game in an odd nod to strategy (seems like they'd have hit a home run every bat otherwise), which goes to show just how extremely overpowered this team is, and the Doras actually lost the championship game. Reading this reminds me of the jokes about how the Miami Heat needs to get Chris Paul and Dwight Howard to win a championship because having 3 of the top 10 players just isn't enough.
 #154769  by Flip
 Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:41 pm
Ive been casually reading H2, with all this sports manga talk lately, and while entertaining, this is the most ridiculous thing i've ever read. I love how the pitchers are so dominant in every outing and how serious the whole country takes middle school and high school baseball. Is that true in real life in Japan? And do they play 9 innings? High school here plays 7.

There is way too much non-existent strategy and mind games, but I guess you have to mix that all in to keep people interested.
 #154770  by Don
 Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:46 pm
Japan has a pretty big cultural following for high school baseball but I don't think it's quite as crazy as the manga describes it. It's certainly a very big thing though.

I don't know much about the manga in particular but it's probably around middle of the road for your baseball manga since I've never heard of it show up either on the 'this might actually be real' or 'this is crazy even for manga' list. For the most part I find sports manga to be written by guys who probably has never played the sports they're talking about and maybe not even seen it on TV, but want to sound like they're sophicated and smart.

Dorabase is way out there even for manga. Even the weakest of the Doras can destroy a planet with thought alone. The Doras (team) got trapped in a pocket dimension on the way to the quarterfinals (by another Dora) and one of their guys was going to break out of it but doing so might destroy Earth and then they wouldn't be able to play baseball. The story specifically mentions 3 random abilities of the Doras are selected prior to each game and they're the only powers that can be used (and only once per ability). For example one of the games has the power 'teleport to any body of water' selected, so Kuroemon hit a home run that's going all the way to the Pacific Ocean but an enemy Dora can teleport to the Pacific Ocean and catch the ball (but only once). Okay, it didn't actually go that far but given the abilities of these characters, it wouldn't be at all surprising if he did that.

What I find amusing about Dorabase is that the main team, the Doras, have literally the power to destroy the universe and they have also the greatest baseball talent on the planet too but somehow are always playing from behind. In the championship game they actually just grabbed another guy that's probably like top 5 in the world from ANOTHER team to join them in mid game, and the opposing team asked, "Is this even legal?" and the ref is like "Nobody argues with a Dora!"
 #154772  by Don
 Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:33 pm
I looked up that manga and I think that's one of those perfect average manga where you're better off watching the real sports. It's not good enough to be considered good (though no sports manga besides Slam Dunk can be considered good) and it's certainly not bad enough to be ridiculed so I don't hear much about it.

I noticed a lot of authors like to show off strategy which only illustrates that they're a moron. For example in Eyeshield 21 at the second half Hiruma says this game is over don't hurt yourself at the kick off, and this is because all his teammates know he'd never say something like that so they'll realize what he means is you got to use a method that can hurt yourself, which means he's going to do an onside kick. Never mind that he didn't specify which direction, but this was one of his 'great strategy'. Apparently the author has never heard of the one time pad. They can make a foolproof system in the locker room like Hiruma can say if he says, "This isn't over yet" that means onside kick to the right, if he didn't say anything kickoff as normal, and it'd be literally impossible to break this code if you use it only once. In fact, Slam Dunk used this before where the guard told Sakuraki if he looks like he's constipated, that's code for an alley-oop. They only ran this play once, so even if the enemy is a team of NBA pros, there is absolutely no way they can break that code.
 #154776  by Flip
 Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:38 am
Yeah H2 isnt that egregious. There are times i lol, but I suppose the authors dont go off the deep end. I just find silly the uber players surrounded by mediocre losers.
 #154781  by Don
 Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:29 pm
In manga, sports is just a metaphor for a 1 on 1 martial arts contest (I think Prince of Tennis was the manga that actually said this). In the case of baseball it's almost invariably the one pitcher versus the one batter who can actually hit the ball (which is why that guy never gets intentionally walked). It's kind of funny since baseball is probably the sports where any one incredible individual, outside of the pitcher, exerts the least significance relative to other sports since that guy can always be intentionally walked.