The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Fate/Zero

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #154897  by Don
 Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:04 pm
This apparently is taking the Chinese world by a storm as the best Anime to hate. Whether you're an elitist dude or a newbie guy who has never seen anything outside of Naruto, there's something for everyone to hate. I managed to get through one episode of this before I stopped following it

For something that's supposed to be action oriented, most of the time the characters just talk and when they fight they usually make some incomprehensible motion that seems to have no bearing to the combat and then one guy mysteriously loses.

F/Z also apparently thinks its name should speak for itself that it never explained any of the underlying stuff because you're probably supposed to have seen Fate/Stay Night so you'd know what all these incomprehensible jargon stands for. While you can just substitute the jargon for 'super powerful stuff', it's kind of like trying to follow leetspeak and is really insulting.

For those who actually have some background in the Typemoon universe, Kiritsugu Emiya somehow manage to become a worse hero than Shirou Emiya, which is no small feat in itself. While Shirou Emiya is your generic whiny guy who mysteriously ends up with all the girls, at least you can say that fits the general 'you can be awesome too' fantasy. Kititsugu Emiya, on the other hand, never seem to any redeeming characteristics for a character who sacrificed his daughter's life to rescue a random kid on the street. In Fate/Zero it seems like he goes into a tag team match with FOUR people and 2 sniper rifles against guys using swords and stuff. He has arguably the most powerful human Magi on his side (Irisviel), the most powerful artifact in the story (Avalon, grants user unconditional immortality), the most powerful summon (Artoria Saber), and he has MAGIC sniper rifles against ordinary Magis who still use staves and outdated form of weaponry. He even has another henchman that also uses magic sniper rifles. It's pretty clear Shirou Emiya's incompetence comes from his father. If you're wondering how Shirou Emiya end up having tough fights with merely immortality and the strongest summon, Kiritsugu Emiya shows how to screw up even with more power.

Artoria Saber continues her incredible reign as the most useless overpowered character ever. Despite having nearly instant regeneration, highest attack power, highest magic attack, magic immunity, highest mana pool, highest special attack, and highest everything else, she inexplicably loses to other Servants who might be lucky to have 1/10 of her power. I think the fight against Lancer was something like Artoria was losing badly and then she remembered she was supposed to be awesome and crushed him with one hand or something. By the way, she outclasses the Caster class heroes in magic attack and she outclasses the Berserker class heroes in physical attack. Realistically, the moment Artoria unsheathed her sword all but the big 3 heroes (Hercules, Gilgamesh, Hero Emiya) should be running for their lives. And even those 3 powerhouse heroes really have no way to deal with her infinite regeneration and generally insane stats and at best can hope for a double KO if she's not using the Avalon. I know the whole point is that if you use the Excalibur everyone will know who you are, but apparently whoever wrote this forgot that King Arthur has NO OBVIOUS WEAKNESSES.

And of course you also have these inexplicably powerful heroes (Servants) in general who gets stopped by inexplicably weak humans. As far as I can tell, the only human characters who might possibly be able to fight even the weakest Servants head on would be Justicia Von Einzbern (the one who opened the Heaven's Gate) or Kaledioscope mode Rin (who has literally infinite mana, and even then Saber defeated a human with infinite mana rather easily). But apparently with some basic training you too can stand toe to toe with the greatest heroes that ever lived.

I originally thought Irisviel could make up for the curse of the Emiyas + Saber, but although she's good looking and whatnot, she still falls well short to overcome the aforementioned suck. Actually having no Rin pretty much canceled out whatever good Irisviel brought since Rin is genuinely awesome. They really should just retcon Saber to be Joan of Arc, because at least that way it'd be reasonable why she's utterly pathetic.