The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Community

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #153742  by Julius Seeker
 Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:45 pm

Check it out, the first season is available on Netflix.

The most known actors are Donald Glover on the left, and yep, that's Chevy Chase on the right.

Essentially the story revolves around a Breakfast Club mix of characters who end up in a study group. It is sort of like Derrick Comedy/College Humour meets Old School - at least in terms of how the characters are mostly older college students. Except it is more or less PG rated.

Left to right:
Donald Glover play's Troy, which is similar to how he acts in his standup, or in Derrick Comedy routines.
Annie is your typical, school girl doesn't know she's hot teenager.
Abed, is the Geek who is completely socially inept, but ULTRA observant, and brings up pop-culture references all the time.
Shirly is the ultra Christian.
Senior Chang is a professor - kind of like an immature Kramer.
Britta is your Alanis Morrisette meets Molly Ringwald character, except hot.
Jeff is the cool guy, mid 30's lawyer who faked his way into the profession, got disbarred, and had to go to community college to earn his degree.
Pierce is the old man who has had 7 wives, made a lot of money, and is kind of ignorant, and evil - not your typical Chevy Chase character, but he pulls it off EXTREMELY well.

From time to time, the cast of Derrick Comedy looks to be on the show.

There's still not much available on Netflix here in Canada - but as far as a non-documentary show goes, I am enjoying this =)
 #153743  by Shrinweck
 Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:12 pm
I've been a fan since around the end of season one. Bought (!) the DVD set and I've lost count of the amount of times I've gone through the entire series. The commentary is hilarious and there's a track with a couple cast members, the creator, and a writer for every episode.

It's worth noting that Chevy Chase is actually hilarious in this.
 #153744  by Flip
 Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:27 pm
"The most known actors are Donald Glover on the left, and yep, that's Chevy Chase on the right."

Ive seen some episodes and i like it. Although my first recognitions were Joel McHale, of The Soup, Ken Jeong of The Hangover, and of course Chevy Chase. Nice to see him have a comeback. The National Lampoon movies and Caddyshack were favorites growing up.
 #153745  by Shrinweck
 Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:09 pm
Yeah it depends on what you watch. I wasn't familiar with Donald Glover at all when I watched the first episode. They actually admit in the commentary that Glover is so good that it took several episodes to mold his character to something fitting of Glover. I was actually most aware of the presence of Alison Brie as Annie.
 #153746  by Lox
 Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:41 pm
The only actor I knew was Chevy Chase. Becoming a huge fan of Community actually turned me onto the Soup and I can't stop watching that now.

I love Community. It might be my favorite comedy right now though I also love Parks and Recreation.

Every character is hilarious and likeable in their own way.
 #153747  by bovine
 Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:45 pm
I am a big dong lover fan.
 #153750  by Julius Seeker
 Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:15 am
Heh, he used to use the twitter name Donglover, as though he didn't know what that was really spelling out =P

I guess most people might not know Donald Glover, I was a fairly huge fan of his standup and Derrick Comedy though; which I figured most here were familiar with.
 #153751  by Shrinweck
 Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:33 am
I only got to know his stuff after Community. His rap persona Childish Gambino is actually pretty great too. It's serious stuff too, luckily, since humorous rap gets old. He also has one of the only twitter accounts I check on a semi-routine basis.

I can't wait for season two to come out on DVD and for the third season to start, even though they had a great shirt on at one point in an episode of season two that stated "It's all downhill from here"
 #153762  by Anarky
 Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:53 pm
They did an epic D&D episode, need I say more.

#153766  by Shrinweck
 Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:10 pm
You should at least mention Ken Jeong in what's basically black face in that episode :D
 #153772  by Julius Seeker
 Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:48 am
The Dean reminds me of Andy Dick, except gayer.
 #153773  by Shrinweck
 Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:25 am
And more talented
 #153779  by Mully
 Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:07 pm
Big fan since the first episode. The Halloween and Paintball episodes are by far the best episodes. Hard to describe what happens in some episodes, stays in those episodes...mostly.
 #153780  by Julius Seeker
 Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:18 pm
And just to clarify, I didn't mean "gayer" in any sort of a negative connotation, just a statement in the difference between the two character's mannerisms.

And yes, the Dean is hilarious.
 #153795  by Mully
 Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:39 am
Julius, you're correct. I love how Chevy always commits on Jeff's gayness. Troy and Abed's relation is so funny.
 #153802  by Julius Seeker
 Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:36 am
Haha, speaking of Andy Dick, he was just on the episode I recently watched; he played an evil drug pushing figment of Pierce's imagination.

Classic Derrick Comedy (warning, strong language/themes ahead):

You may remember this viral Spelling Bee video from years ago.

Derrick Comedy had their own version

#153803  by Blotus
 Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:26 am
One of my favorites.

#153837  by kali o.
 Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:25 pm
Anarky wrote:They did an epic D&D episode, need I say more.

I've never heard of this...I haven't watched tons of TV lately. That was pretty awesome though, I'll have to check it out now.
 #153843  by Shrinweck
 Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:14 pm
Some good stuff there but I enjoy his writing and acting/improv skills more than his stand up. Although to be as young as he is and have as much of his stand up be as funny as it is is pretty damned impressive.
 #153844  by Eric
 Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:30 am
 #153847  by Shrinweck
 Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:32 am
Annie's pretty young. We try not to sexualize her.
 #154067  by Shrinweck
 Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:12 pm
I ordered the season two DVD that got released this week. Should be here on Friday. Can't wait to get at those extras and commentary.

The Secret Garden parody episode still makes me laugh out loud every time.
Spoiler: show
"It my fault... I guess that's what I get for trusting some black guy." "Haha.... WHAT?"
 #154095  by Shrinweck
 Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:03 pm
If there was any doubt, the second DVD is as good as the first.

Absence of Donald Glover riffing in the outtakes though :(
 #154154  by kali o.
 Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:10 pm
I made it through the first season...Community is pretty funny but it drags a lot at times too.

For me, it's the characters that make the awesome moments in the show. Troy/Abed, the Dean and Pierce (Chevy Chase in anything is awesome...I guess I am getting old) rock. Jeff, the girls and the relationship-y stuff is what drags for me -- I grew bored with that after like the 6th episode.

Still, looking forward to Season 2.
 #154296  by Shrinweck
 Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:10 pm
Yeah they had to fuck with the story a bit too much with some of the relationship stuff and the head writer actually admits some of it suffered because of it. They certainly did an amazing job making each character interesting. Season two won't disappoint you if that was your main problem with season one.

Season three aired its first episode last week and it was pretty great.

Also:
Attachments
community-emmy-nominations-banner-01.jpg
 #154559  by Shrinweck
 Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:33 pm
I think that last nights episode was stronger than anything they did in season two. Glad to see the show still going strong. I laughed for like a minute straight at one point. Network comedies haven't been this funny in years.
 #154568  by Anarky
 Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:10 pm
Shrinweck wrote:I think that last nights episode was stronger than anything they did in season two. Glad to see the show still going strong. I laughed for like a minute straight at one point. Network comedies haven't been this funny in years.
The troll? XD
 #154583  by Shrinweck
 Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:27 pm
Clearly you don't understand anything about defeating trolls
 #155034  by Shrinweck
 Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:45 am
The geniuses at NBC have benched the show midseason, meaning it won't air at all in the beginning of 2012. Sony pays for the show and hopefully will push it at least until it qualifies for syndication. It isn't canceled but what the fuck?

I want my six seasons and a movie :(
 #155035  by Lox
 Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:57 am
Shrinweck wrote:The geniuses at NBC have benched the show midseason, meaning it won't air at all in the beginning of 2012. Sony pays for the show and hopefully will push it at least until it qualifies for syndication. It isn't canceled but what the fuck?

I want my six seasons and a movie :(
AARRGGGHHH!!!
 #155036  by Shrinweck
 Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:29 am
At the very least, NBC still means to finish out airing the season. 8PM Thursday is a timeslot against a lot of stronger shows (ratings-wise) and they're giving it to 30 Rock in 2012. Maybe it'll mean a spike in ratings, but they'll probably fuck it up and put it up against something that'll diminish the ratings further.

Taking his Twitter feed out of context, Harmon is optimistic about the move.
 #155046  by Shrinweck
 Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:19 am
If Sony pushes it until it qualifies for syndication, it'll mean at least another season.
 #155782  by Shrinweck
 Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:57 am
Looks like it returns on March 15th. Still no word on season four.
 #156047  by Shrinweck
 Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:36 pm
I heard this has been getting the second highest ratings (after The Office) for comedies on NBC since it came back so there is a strong chance of a season four. There's some kind of stupid bullshit going on between Harmon and Chevy Chase right now, though, so that could definitely change the dynamic if they can't get over themselves. Chase angrily walked off the set because Harmon hadn't provided a script for the final scene before they wrapped. Harmon followed this by giving some kind of "Fuck you" speech to Chase at the wrap party.. in front of Chase's wife and daughter. Chase retaliates by leaving a profanity-laden voicemail to Harmon, which Harmon plays for people at the party and is subsequently leaked onto the Internet.
 #156358  by Shrinweck
 Sat May 12, 2012 1:50 am
Renewed for another 13 episodes, just like 30 Rock and Parks and Recreation. Still no word on Harmon or Chase making up. Harmon has a delightful Twitter post along the lines of if Harmon doesn't return for season four, it won't be because Chase is a dick.
 #156412  by Shrinweck
 Fri May 18, 2012 11:26 pm
Those last few episodes were really well done. I'm usually not a fan of their more gimmick-y episodes, but that video game episode was hilarious.
 #156513  by Shrinweck
 Sun May 27, 2012 5:47 pm
Harmon got fired. Guy who plays Starburns seems pretty adamant about not returning because of that. Everything else seems to have remained unchanged. Quality will probably drop without Harmon obsessing over the show.
 #156515  by Lox
 Mon May 28, 2012 10:31 am
I'm definitely concerned. If the show is done after this next half season I'd much rather it go out with a bang than a whimper.

Also, the video game episode was amazing. I wish someone would make that game for real.
 #156521  by Flip
 Tue May 29, 2012 9:03 am
Lox wrote:
Also, the video game episode was amazing. I wish someone would make that game for real.

Kind of a rip-off of the G4 cartoon Code Monkeys, right?
 #156522  by Shrinweck
 Tue May 29, 2012 10:24 am
If you're only talking about the animation, then yeah. Everything else is different.
 #156523  by Flip
 Tue May 29, 2012 10:47 am
Duh Shrin, but isnt the style the whole point? Code Monkeys is the first show i've seen use all 8-bit for an episode (well, that was the whole series's style).

It doesnt surprise me that network TV would rip something off and pass it off as cool and creative, because 95% of network TV watchers wouldnt run across a cable channel show like CM.

Imagine if NBC did a World of Warcraft style show, everyone and their mothers would be screaming that it was a South Park rip-off.
 #156524  by Lox
 Tue May 29, 2012 12:28 pm
Except I never really found CM that funny. haha

Also, wasn't CM just in that style as opposed to being a game that was played? That's what was so awesome about the Community episode.
 #156529  by Shrinweck
 Tue May 29, 2012 3:46 pm
Yeah CM was just a comedy show done in that style. Overall it wasn't that great either - I enjoyed the opening episodes but it just dragged on and on and I didn't find it enjoyable after that. Laying claim to an entire animation style would just be wasteful. That was a great episode and, what, do you feel the same way about the claymation episode and the way it ripped off the stuff that came before it? Because it's really just about the same thing :P
 #156530  by Flip
 Tue May 29, 2012 4:55 pm
Claymation is a genre, though. I'll try again with a South Park analogy, but notice how no one has copied the stop-motion construction paper model? It would be too unoriginal.

I can give 8-bit a pass, similar to claymation, i'm just being an annoying devil's advocate. ^_^

I need to find the episode on hulu or something, a few of my buddies were talking about it this weekend, too. They said i needed to watch the last 3 episodes of the season, actually.
 #156531  by Shrinweck
 Tue May 29, 2012 6:06 pm
To be fair basically nothing Community does is original. Each (decent) episode is an homage to something. The entire first season is basically a John Hughes circle jerk.