The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• manga update again

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #155258  by Don
 Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:34 pm
Liar Game - This has been on hiatus for an year or something and just resumed. Yokoya became the 53rd guy to figure out a way to guaranteed victory in the Liar Game. What I don't get is given the structure of the Liar Game, you'd think as you go deeper in the rounds the dumber your opponent becomes because anyone with some common sense should've dropped out already, so why on earth is the story structured as if more formidable opponents show up in later rounds?

The loser's bracket seems to be complete waste of time. The author is clearly not able to produce content in a satisfactory manner, and having a loser's bracket before each round essentially doubles the amount of stuff he has to come up with. Liar Game isn't bad but it's not something you'll remember if it's been away for an year or two. It'd help a lot if they simply skip the loser's bracket with a single frame that says, "All the guys who matter won the loser's bracket" and just proceed to the next round.

Gambling Legend something or another - It seems like this is in danger of falling to the "Do Not Pirate" list. In the original series as far as I can tell it's two guys telepathetically trying to convince 3 guys locked up in an isolated room how to play the game of doom. In the Zero version I can't draw any conclusions since nobody is willing to pirate this stuff and it's something like 50 chapters behind. Similar to Liar Game, it might be a good idea if the author just stick to one series and actually try to produce something that's interesting. I mean, Gambling Legend Zero is actually sort of interesting, if he isn't doing two series at once.

HXH - Right now I think it'd be best if a nuke blow up the city the Hunter's Association is in, killing Gon, Hisoka, and the Zodiac. Leorio becomes the chairman of what's left of the association. Kurapika fights Kuroro near a cliff and both fall down, and Killua marries his sister and we can follow his story in the sequel, Killer X Killer where Killua carves out his name as the greatest assassin ever with Alluka on his side. It's not that HXH is currently bad. It's actually pretty awesome right now but I don't think it can possibly well and you have like three characters in danger of being ruining the story (Gin, Gon, Hisoka) since those guys must have just talked to the creator of the universe over dinner and got the okay to do anything crazy they want without any repercussions. For the story to make sense at least one of those three guys have to die at some point to restore plot integrity. The fact that people are putting hypothetical matchup of anyone versus Pariston Hill (totally hilarious name for the archvillian) shows that it's on the verge of going out of control. If Pariston was defeated there's really no hope for evil, and good is not supposed to win in the world of HXH. I think even Togashi has given up on Jairo as the next supposed 'great evil' so it's all in on Pariston or nothing. If he can't even kill some of the good-guys-that-matter this whole thing about how good guys are constantly slapped silly and die needlessly is utterly pointless.

As an aside, I do consider Hisoka a good guy, because he's just a crazy murderer who never killed anyone who is actually important on the good side camp. It's kind of like in Tsukihime when the main character was informed that it turned out he was just a psychotic murderer that likes to slice up random girl's body, but he's not the evil that the good guys were trying to hunt down so he's considered a good guy since he might accidentally chop up an evil guy's body too during his rampage.

Naruto - I'm beginning to wonder what's the point of gathering an army for the war if all you needed was Naruto, Killerbee, and the five Kages. It's like we got this army of thousands of ninjas, or we can use Naruto, and of course Naruto is incomprehensibly more powerful than thousands of ninjas, so why even bother with those guys? Just tell all the grunts to go home and take a break while the most powerful guys duke it out for the fate of the world. Less bloodshed that way regardless of who wins.