The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• The Walking Dead

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #155093  by Eric
 Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:36 pm
13 episode season, and the next episode is the last episode before they break until February.
 #155116  by SineSwiper
 Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:08 am
I'm kinda getting sick of all of the goddamn complaints about the slowness of the show. You guys seem to forget Season 1. That shit was fucking insane. People were dying like it was going outta style, and the show was way too FAST. Now they've slowed it down quite a bit and people are whining about how slow it is.

I don't know about you, but I like character development. Everybody bitching like this is the reason why Carnivale and Rome got cancelled.
 #155117  by Shrinweck
 Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:02 am
Rome got cancelled because it cost a fortune to produce. And seriously.. how much further could that story have gone? Don't mean historically, but those character arcs ended as well as they were going to.

People are certainly too used to zombie mini-series and movies where everyone dies in a very short time period.
Last edited by Shrinweck on Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #155130  by Anarky
 Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:43 pm
SineSwiper wrote:I don't know about you, but I like character development. Everybody bitching like this is the reason why Carnivale and Rome got cancelled.
Character development is well and good if the characters are actually likeable.

#155131  by Shrinweck
 Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:52 pm
If you're of the opinion that none of the characters are likeable why are you even still watching?
 #155138  by kali o.
 Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:23 pm
They aren't doing much to build suspense these last few episodes...which I would think is the point of dragging on this farm portion. We aren't even getting much zombie action. Instead we are just finding reasons to hate certain characters (shane, andrea, rick, lori and even dale). Daryl aka Scud is pretty much the only character with screen time that people can like...Glenn too maybe.

Any guesses on how the farm story ends...?

a) They send Glenn into the barn as bait for some random reason...
b) Andrea tries to shoot again...somehow hits the barn lock instead
c) Lori unlocks the barn because of her "better to be dead" kick
d) Rick enters the barn to save a random puppy ...does verge-of-crying-face for first 45minutes though
e) Dale starts giving advice again, everyone else says "Fuck it" and suicides into the barn

All plausible, imo :D
 #155149  by Anarky
 Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:56 am
Shrinweck wrote:If you're of the opinion that none of the characters are likeable why are you even still watching?
The hope that they finally kill the people they should and try to follow some of the comic book.
 #155150  by Shrinweck
 Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:45 am
Actually, yeah, they do need to kill a certain someone off like in the comic. Fuckers.
 #155154  by SineSwiper
 Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:34 am
Shrinweck wrote:Actually, yeah, they do need to kill a certain someone off like in the comic. Fuckers.
Blah, I actually like him. He's a bit of an anti-hero and has an interesting dynamic.
 #155194  by SineSwiper
 Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:59 pm

Every episode seems to end at a weird spot. Now I know why.
 #155207  by Shrinweck
 Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:55 pm
Rick is slowly going fucking batshit insane and shoots little girl zombies with little hesitation.

We don't need any more anti-heroes! :D
 #155211  by Anarky
 Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:23 pm
I'm getting downvoted for this on reddit, but this my theory about the AMC Walking Dead:

#155212  by Imakeholesinu
 Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:27 pm
I hate how I have to wait till Feb to watch the next episode.
Spoiler: show
I have to say this was probably the best episode as it brought closure to "lost girl" arc finally. I think at some point they may move away from the books (a la Dexter) and go off on their own way. I haven't read any of the books yet but I almost want to now because I really enjoyed reading the Scott Pilgram books.
I like Lori and Rick. Glenn also, even if he's a little annoying. Shane just seems like he's going to die here any minute.

But then again maybe Shane's actions may be becoming the norm for the rest of the group for the sake of survival.
 #155217  by Eric
 Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:05 pm
f u guys who want that character dead who isn't dead yet, he owns. :)
 #155220  by Shrinweck
 Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:47 pm
I only want the guy dead because it's the catalyst for a lot of cool shit but maybe AMC is ran by too many pussies to have a
kid
murder a guy on television.
 #155248  by Eric
 Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:26 pm
Why they have no problem murdering Children, which is also pretty taboo.
 #155580  by Mully
 Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:35 pm
It finally FINALLY PAID OFF! WEEKS of where is this little girl, to...what we saw!

Dear AMC,

Don't piddle around a story arc like this ever again.

Thanks.
 #155705  by Flip
 Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:11 pm
Shrinweck wrote:Rick is slowly going fucking batshit insane and shoots little girl zombies with little hesitation.

We don't need any more anti-heroes! :D

Im excited for the season to continue tonight and I think you have this interpretation all wrong! The entire conflict this season has been 'are the walkers still people or not'. Obviously the farm people thinks that they are while Rick's peeps do not. The entire time Rick has been very respectful, but once the massacre started I think Rick was making a statement to the old farm man. He basically said, 'this is the little girl we've spent sooo much of our time and effort trying to find, but now that shes a walker, this is what i do.' It really shows the mentality difference between the farm and Ricks group. The old farm guy was locking up family and friends, while Rick and his group firmly showed that they refuse to get attached to walkers, no matter what.

Now, i dont think the division could not be any further between the groups. I expect Ricks group to move on, but I also expect some of the farm people to follow him. I think the crazy old man might just get left behind all alone on his farm.
 #155712  by Shrinweck
 Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:34 am
The message Rick also sent is that he's willing to sacrifice all the humanity that used to be in him in order to survive. He's slowly going insane from the stress of leadership and nothing will stand in the way of him protecting himself and his family, whether it's living, breathing people or the undead.
 #155765  by Shrinweck
 Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:50 am
I'm really doing my best to enjoy this show but they should have been off the farm several episodes ago and at this rate it doesn't even look like it'll be until the end of the season. Andrea is one of my favorite characters in the book and she's basically ruined on the show. She's smart and talented but in the show she's showing nothing but ineptitude and stupidity. I don't particularly mind at this point that they're taking liberties with the story but changing my favorite characters is going to make me lose my interest.

I'm unsure if I'm going to keep watching next season at this point. They're already making the same mistake the comic did where they linger in places too long and things get uninteresting for extended periods of time.
 #155768  by Flip
 Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:04 pm
I like the show and will continue to watch as long as they are running it, but I still shake my head when someone gets grabbed by a walker. The things are so stupid and slow, how in the world do you not see them coming or be more aware?! They arent sneaky!

I thought the end to the show last week (not yesterday) was very intense. Like, opening scene from Inglorious Bastards kind of intense. I like how they are eluding to a Rick/Shane showdown, too, but a lot of the other story lines are dumb. Why do all the characters need to have a small story line? The hillbillies falling in love (i think) and the farm girl/Glen falling in love arent that interesting.
 #155769  by Shrinweck
 Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:31 pm
I agree that Rick and Shane butting heads is probably the best plot line going right now and that's probably why they're taking their time in concluding it. The end of the episode from last week was also strong, but it doesn't make up for the snoozefest that a lot of the show is becoming. I don't mind super long suspense but there are better soap opera-type dramas out there and this isn't really anywhere near good enough to compete.

Needs to get back to survival horror or I'm done. I'm not expecting it to be 100% zombie-related or they'd all die of stress-induced heart attacks/craziness, but 95% drama ain't doing it for me.
 #155770  by Zeus
 Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:36 pm
I really hope this show is more than just a 200 hour Day of the Dead that it's showing itself to be right now....

And the fact that they're taking their sweet old time leaving the farm ain't a bad thing. I don't mind the additional stuff. But unless they change up quick, this show will soon be in the "AMC'd" pile where I'll eventually just tire of it. I hope not, I don't want it to. But it's taking a lot time for anything to happen right now
 #155772  by Shrinweck
 Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:40 pm
I don't give a flying fuck about farmer's daughter stuck in the bed but as things stand it doesn't look like anyone has any intention of leaving and I'm going to guess they get overran by zombies/the other people and need to leave at the end of the season. And by that I mean the season will end with an attack and they'll leave the farm in the first half of next season. Please let me be proven wrong.
 #155889  by Shrinweck
 Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:11 pm
Partially proven correct so far. Wish I felt better about that.
 #155891  by kali o.
 Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:51 pm
The season continued to drag, just like I figured it would. But that said, the last episode...well that was a pretty fucking good episode in my opinion. One plot twist, one surpise and an awesome to cliffhanger.
 #155892  by Eric
 Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:14 pm
kali o. wrote:The season continued to drag, just like I figured it would. But that said, the last episode...well that was a pretty fucking good episode in my opinion. One plot twist, one surpise and an awesome to cliffhanger.
You're not allowed to be positive sir, stop it.
 #155894  by Flip
 Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:28 pm
The last episode was great. Sort of a shocker to lose both the new kid and Shane! Shane's death was meant to be the big HOLY COW, but what is more interesting is how are the bodies are resurrecting on their own now?! Rick saw it, you could tell on his face, but then had to high tail the F out of there. If the disease is now airborne (but only for the dead, obviously) there are going to be a heck of a lot more walkers around, which to be honest, this season started lacking.
 #155895  by Shrinweck
 Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:41 pm
The dead (non-bitten) turning into zombies is an established premise in the comic that was kind of established at this same point in the comic (if you can even compare the two any more). I agree that things have been better, but AMC has always been pretty brilliant at season finale build up. I thought
Shane's death was fairly well done, even if I vastly prefer how they handled it in the comic. I'm not sure what killing Dale and Shane off at the same time will do for the group dynamic, since they were polar opposites on the morality scale, does that mean the group is going to be a lot more mellow now? There was a fun idea offered to me that probably doesn't have any merit but what happens if the virus is airborne has only infected some of the living (people who have basically been all but literally humping the zombies), turning them into irate assholes that have trouble controlling their aggression. The groups main antagonists have all had very close moments with zombies breathing/bleeding/spitting/whatever all over them.
 #156028  by Mully
 Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:30 pm
Someone open my spoiler, ther is a lot in there; it does contain spoilers of the last episode show incase someone, like me waited a while to watch it.
MICHONNE and the PRISON!

She had a little over-the-top comic-booky entrance into the comic book too. Hopefully the visual of her doesn't put off any non-comic readers (holding a katana, in a "little-red riding hood"-style hooded poncho and having two arm-less, jaw-less zombies on a chain behind her. Not that it would put anyone off, but it could if you didn't expect something so over the top.

BTW: Michonne is Danai Gurira...who really looks the part...very muscular.

David Morrisey has been cast as the Governer.

I don't recognize either actor, but the Governer guy...pre-makeup doesn't look anything like the comic.

ALSO, they need to be BRUTAL with Season 3. The Prison arc in the comic is crazy.
 #156032  by Anarky
 Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:06 pm
Mully wrote:Someone open my spoiler, ther is a lot in there; it does contain spoilers of the last episode show incase someone, like me waited a while to watch it.
MICHONNE and the PRISON!

She had a little over-the-top comic-booky entrance into the comic book too. Hopefully the visual of her doesn't put off any non-comic readers (holding a katana, in a "little-red riding hood"-style hooded poncho and having two arm-less, jaw-less zombies on a chain behind her. Not that it would put anyone off, but it could if you didn't expect something so over the top.

BTW: Michonne is Danai Gurira...who really looks the part...very muscular.

David Morrisey has been cast as the Governer.

I don't recognize either actor, but the Governer guy...pre-makeup doesn't look anything like the comic.

ALSO, they need to be BRUTAL with Season 3. The Prison arc in the comic is crazy.
Rumor has it the prison will be 2 seasons.... :/
 #156033  by Shrinweck
 Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:07 pm
There's quite a lot of backlash about her since she's so mysterious, people are going to "Ninja out of nowhere!" and the fact that there's basically a year until there's more isn't going to help that idea.

It's not like the current story arc in the comic where there
literally is a fucking ninja character out of fucking nowhere
If the farm was one entire god damned season, we're lucky if the prison isn't going to be three or four.
 #156592  by SineSwiper
 Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:43 pm
Shrinweck wrote:If the farm was one entire god damned season, we're lucky if the prison isn't going to be three or four.
The farm is a farm. The prison is a prison. Both have two entirely different speeds in real life, so don't expect a 1:1 comparison of pacing.
 #156594  by Shrinweck
 Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:38 pm
But so much more happens at the prison. The farm is basically a footnote in comparison.
 #158116  by Shrinweck
 Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:56 am
Fun times and and the plot seems to be moving very quickly. Even the next episode looks like a decent amount of stuff will happen. Hopefully this means they fixed the pacing.

A much, much stronger showing than the first episode last season.
 #158117  by Anarky
 Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:09 pm
Shrinweck wrote:Fun times and and the plot seems to be moving very quickly. Even the next episode looks like a decent amount of stuff will happen. Hopefully this means they fixed the pacing.

A much, much stronger showing than the first episode last season.
I gave the show another chance last night and enjoyed it actually. Always interesting how they swap what happens to a character in the comic with the tv show.

Where did the silencers come from?
 #158118  by Shrinweck
 Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:09 pm
They looked homemade. Rick's looked like it was fashioned out of a flashlight and Carl's looked like it was homemade as well, but I couldn't tell what it was made from.
 #158119  by Anarky
 Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:49 pm
Shrinweck wrote:They looked homemade. Rick's looked like it was fashioned out of a flashlight and Carl's looked like it was homemade as well, but I couldn't tell what it was made from.
You're right, just looked at some still and Rick's is made from a maglite flashlight, and after looking into it, this is possible to do.
 #158120  by Shrinweck
 Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:45 pm
Yeah and they're from the south so chances are someone knows how to do it between Rick being a police officer and Daryl being, well, what he is.
 #158121  by SineSwiper
 Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:02 pm
 #158336  by Anarky
 Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:34 am
I gotta be honest, the show is actually getting me watch it again each week. They are doing a pretty decent job with the material thus far.
 #158338  by Shrinweck
 Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:57 am
I'm not a big fan of the Governor plotline but they did a good job with it in that episode. I like Andrea a lot more when she isn't arguing with people just for the sake of being annoying. Hopefully she was only being like that to amplify what Shane was doing.
 #158342  by Flip
 Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:32 am
She still makes weird faces all through the show. I'm not sure if she wants to fuck the governor or kill him. Regardless, it was refreshing to have a full episode away from the main group.
 #158346  by SineSwiper
 Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:06 pm
Flip wrote:She still makes weird faces all through the show. I'm not sure if she wants to fuck the governor or kill him. Regardless, it was refreshing to have a full episode away from the main group.
Heh, I was wondering if I was watching Game of Thrones :)
 #158347  by Anarky
 Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:41 pm
Shrinweck wrote:I'm not a big fan of the Governor plotline but they did a good job with it in that episode. I like Andrea a lot more when she isn't arguing with people just for the sake of being annoying. Hopefully she was only being like that to amplify what Shane was doing.
I'm actually curious what you didn't like about it?
I remember hearing Kirkman hates that he chopped off Rick's hand.

He explained: "When I'm writing a comic book, I don't think about what I'm doing. I go, 'Oh, it'd be pretty cool if they cut his hand off right now. That'd be pretty shocking, right?'. Then I do it, and five issues later, I write 'Rick opens a can of beans' and then I look at the script and think 'He can't do that now'. I didn't even think that through."

http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/s135/the-w ... -hand.html
 #158348  by Shrinweck
 Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:10 pm
Not sure I remember specifics. There's some good stuff in this particular storyline and Rick and Michonne shine.. it's been a couple years since I last went through the old comics. I think it just may drag on an issue or three too long for my tastes in the comic.
 #158349  by Anarky
 Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:20 pm
Shrinweck wrote:Not sure I remember specifics. There's some good stuff in this particular storyline and Rick and Michonne shine.. it's been a couple years since I last went through the old comics. I think it just may drag on an issue or three too long for my tastes in the comic.
That is my biggest concern overall. I hope they realize you can't keep them in one place for too long without it feeling like a whole bunch of bottle episodes.
 #158355  by Blotus
 Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:08 am
Can you guys (Anarky) please not put COMIC spoilers in this thread without marking them as such? I haven't read the comic.
 #158360  by Anarky
 Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:55 pm
Blotus wrote:Can you guys (Anarky) please not put COMIC spoilers in this thread without marking them as such? I haven't read the comic.
Sorry bro, hard to not talk about this show and the comic source. I'll try to make better comic spoiler tags.
 #158430  by Flip
 Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:53 pm
Fireworks this week!

Super spoilers
I'm not sure how i feel about the Laurie death. She was annoying, yeah, but since she had been around since the beginning... this one is a surprise. I guess her and Shane can now live together in dirty sex peace. :P I really did think that her and Rick would work it out in the end, though. Now the group has a one legged old man and a baby, wtf.

At least the exchanged a big black guy for a big black guy.