The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Summer movies: which ones are you lookin' forward to?

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #156281  by Zeus
 Sat May 05, 2012 4:18 pm
Here are some of the big ones:

Dark Knight Rises

I doubt there's anyone here who ain't seein' it in theatres, but just in case, let me know why you don't want to

Prometheus

No, it's not an Alien prequel.....exactly. Some minor tie-in but it's more of a similar movie

Amazing Spiderman

I'm so NOT ready for a reboot. They can just forget about #3 and go on from there instead they're trying to retcon the Uncle Ben "with great powers" history with something else. Not to mention at least two people know his real identity just from the trailer, which I despise. I hope I'm proven wrong on this movie

Total Recall

As much as I adore the Verhoven original, it could use a remake....IF done properly. They're stickikng pretty close to the original in a lot of ways and I'm not so convinced Wiseman can do it.

Expendables 2

The first one was just stupid fun. I will admit it wasn't a deep film in any way but I didn't care, it was fun. And they're adding Norris and JCVD? I'll go see this

Brave

It's Pixar, do you really need to know anything else?

Ted

I hope to hell this turns out better than McFarlane's efforts over the last few years. But man, the trailer looks hilarious

#156287  by Flip
 Sat May 05, 2012 9:49 pm
I'm still confused, is this another Spider-man, but the same story as the last fairly recent Spider-man? I do not need this much spidey, and im not sure anyone else does either, i think it will flop.
 #156288  by Eric
 Sat May 05, 2012 10:04 pm
No, this is a fresh brand new Spider-man, think Batman Begins but Spider-man. It's also more faithful to the comic and will be better then those 3 goofy Spider-man films we got before. :)
 #156289  by Lox
 Sat May 05, 2012 10:20 pm
I was skeptical of the need for a Spiderman reboot this soon, but the previews are looking really good. I like that they're keeping him in high school and that he seems to have even more of a wise cracking nature than Maguire's Spidey.

Anyway, TDKR is a definite midnight show for me. Prometheus might be as it looks fantastic.

I saw Avengers at midnight this past week and it was amazing. So much fun and so much action. Whedon did a great job fitting all of the characters into the movie. Plus, the after credits reveal was enough to make me scream. haha
 #156290  by Shrinweck
 Sun May 06, 2012 2:17 am
I'm not sure how I feel about a Spider-man story without Mary Jane even in it. I feel like she's a fairly essential part of Spider-man not flipping the fuck out and turning into a villain. You can only get shit on by life so much and still have superhero philanthropy in you, y'know? The unconditional love of a supermodel/actress wife would help with that, I imagine.
 #156307  by Zeus
 Sun May 06, 2012 11:48 pm
Eric wrote:No, this is a fresh brand new Spider-man, think Batman Begins but Spider-man. It's also more faithful to the comic and will be better then those 3 goofy Spider-man films we got before. :)
The 3rd was universally despised for a good reason, but you weren't a fan of the first two? My personal opinion will remain with me but the first two were pretty well liked
 #156308  by Zeus
 Sun May 06, 2012 11:50 pm
Lox wrote:I saw Avengers at midnight this past week and it was amazing. So much fun and so much action. Whedon did a great job fitting all of the characters into the movie. Plus, the after credits reveal was enough to make me scream. haha
The first or second one?
 #156309  by Zeus
 Sun May 06, 2012 11:50 pm
Eric wrote:Good god you people kill me, before there was Mary Jane, there was Gwen Stacy, look it up. :)
I'm old and that was far before my time. Most people don't know how big Stacy was in the beginning of the comics
 #156312  by Eric
 Mon May 07, 2012 7:30 am
They weren't bad, but they weren't great either. All 3 Spider-man movies had some really goofy shit that you kinda overlooked because hey it was a decent Spider-man movie on the big screen. I overlooked it at first too, but everytime I go back and rewatch those movies it becomes more apparent to me of just how campy/goofy they were.
 #156316  by Zeus
 Mon May 07, 2012 3:44 pm
Eric wrote:They weren't bad, but they weren't great either. All 3 Spider-man movies had some really goofy shit that you kinda overlooked because hey it was a decent Spider-man movie on the big screen. I overlooked it at first too, but everytime I go back and rewatch those movies it becomes more apparent to me of just how campy/goofy they were.
Is this because you're comparing the movies, which are based on the 60s Spidey, to the 80s/90s Spidey you grew up with (show was more 80s)? Comics were written completely differently back then too
 #156317  by Lox
 Mon May 07, 2012 4:23 pm
Zeus wrote:
Lox wrote:I saw Avengers at midnight this past week and it was amazing. So much fun and so much action. Whedon did a great job fitting all of the characters into the movie. Plus, the after credits reveal was enough to make me scream. haha
The first or second one?
The first one.
 #156318  by Zeus
 Mon May 07, 2012 6:09 pm
Lox wrote:
Zeus wrote:
The first or second one?
The first one.
I quickly thought back to that guy in those comics from the early 90s (I'm pretty sure if you know who the character is you know exactly what I'm talking about). I used to have a poster of him in that famous pose in my room. I'd LOVE to see him in a movie.....in a storyline related to that particular arc, of course :-)

The second one was pretty good too. I was happy we stayed for it.