The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• The Newsroom

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #156872  by Imakeholesinu
 Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:52 am
And the Emmy goes to....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YI7Oq8y-jXA

Seriously, it was like watching a Grand Slam. This opening is probably the best opening to a show ever. The cast is amazing and I can't wait to see the character development and how it progresses but man, this show has a lot of potential and does not disappoint.
 #156873  by Flip
 Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:00 pm
Awesome, its on my DVR, cant wait to peep it tonight.
 #156875  by Shrinweck
 Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:55 am
Some of the writing for the little moments
Spoiler: show
i.e. "I'm going to take you shopping!"
was kind of shit but otherwise this was great. The cast is well chosen. If it doesn't get too ham-fisted with its messages then I'll keep watching.
 #156903  by Flip
 Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:05 am
I really liked it and I think HBO will have another good series on their hands for a while. I agree that if they try to get too preachy or cheesy with the delivery that it might be a little lame, but we'll see. Sorkin knows what to do.
 #157006  by Shrinweck
 Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:07 pm
This show... it's establishing itself so I guess I'll give it another couple chances since I happen to agree with its view points. But ugh, just, ugh. I don't like a single character - even the ones played by the three actors I enjoy.

If I keep reminding myself it's by the same guy behind Sports Night I may be able to get through the first season.
 #157017  by Flip
 Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:45 am
Sorkin also did The Social Network movie, but if it is anything like Newsroom i'm not sure i'll ever get around to watching it. I do like the show because i agree with the viewpoint also, but man is the character banter annoying as fuck. The blond girl and the young producer who likes her, their back and forth is painful. No one talks like that, it was literally driving me nuts. The best parts of the show are when they are doing the news show. I'm going to give it the first season, but 3 episodes in and i wanted to die a little.

This feels like a network drama show (ABC, FOX, NBC, etc) and not a cable show. HBO shows have a different feel to them, not cheesy as shit dialogue with hair pullingly annoying characters. Oh, but wait, they curse a little. What work place in the world has this much inter office dating/drama? Christ, make it a little believable.

The setup in the 2nd episode with the e-mail was terrible. Then having her accidentally send out an e-mail to the whole staff at the end of the show (shocking!>!!!) was equally fucking terrible.

I watched the latest two episodes last night back to back and i'm fired up with how awful they were compared to the first 15 minutes of show #1 and how i thought this show was going to deliver.
 #157018  by Shrinweck
 Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:00 pm
The show goes from making a point to some of the worst written dialog with people trying to connect that I've ever heard.

The Social Network is fine because it's a focus on going from Point A to Point B in the story/actual events rather than trying to make some ham-fisted point or have people connecting. This is probably because Zuckerburg didn't get to where he is by being good with people and there's no real politics involved in social networking in general.

And, yeah, the phone/e-mail bit would have been played out a decade ago. The hell?