The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• True Blood season finale

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #157490  by SineSwiper
 Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:39 pm
 #157495  by Anarky
 Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:17 pm
To be fair didn't they jump the shark in like the 1st season? Not sure where exactly... but I feel like this is nothing new for that show.

It was a bizarre finale though.
 #157505  by SineSwiper
 Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:54 pm
You can't "jump the shark" in the first season. That implies a downward slide that you can't recover from. If they are now into the 5th season, then they recovered from whatever you're talking about. (Even Heroes jumped the shark more or less in the 2nd season.)

Well, some people thought they jumped the shark last season, and while it was a somewhat lackluster season, they didn't go completely off the deep end. And they actually finished their arc with plenty of closure. This season had potential early on, but it was really turning into scattershot, with that same "we didn't plan this shit and we're writing episode-by-episode" bullshit that I loathe with most series. It was especially obvious the further into the season you went, with more loose ends and plotlines than an episode of Game of Thrones, except they don't really go anywhere special.

But, the real turning point was the finale. You can't fuck up the main character like that and NOT jump the shark. Point of no return. It's going into Heroes territory now, which is fucking scary. Nah, even worse, it's going into SEAQUEST territory. I mean that level of "painting yourself into a corner" fucked up.

HBO will probably be grateful enough to give Alan Ball a final season, but mark my words: the next season will be the last.
 #157507  by Flip
 Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:16 pm
I still watch this show, probably simply out of boredom, and i agree that it is pretty terrible. But, i liked this season because it was more about the inter vampire stuff than the show just making up a new powerful foe (like the witch season). This season more than anyone also had completely different storylines. The thing with the fire lich and the werewolves were completely unrelated to the vampire arc. I dont mind the side characters and getting a break from the main story is fine with me.

That said, i also think it is dumb what they are doing to Bill. They just decided a few seasons ago to turn Erik into the new Bill and swap their roles.
 #157520  by SineSwiper
 Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:14 am
Anarky wrote:I still think the werepanther storyline was some of the worst.
It was another "throwaway" storyline that was half-baked. They don't seem to plan this shit, which drives me insane. Why do writers do this shit over and over again? They never learn. Quit writing episode-to-episode and this won't happen.
 #157521  by Anarky
 Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:56 am
SineSwiper wrote:
Anarky wrote:I still think the werepanther storyline was some of the worst.
It was another "throwaway" storyline that was half-baked. They don't seem to plan this shit, which drives me insane. Why do writers do this shit over and over again? They never learn. Quit writing episode-to-episode and this won't happen.
Well from what I've heard that storyline actually came from the book and Jason does in fact become a werepanther. They love to attempt things from the book and then just say fuck it.