The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• "Ridiculously terrible Monty Python"?

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #157643  by SineSwiper
 Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:18 am
Flip wrote:the ridiculously terrible Monty Python is included
Okay, you don't exist.
 #157667  by Flip
 Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:19 pm
SineSwiper wrote:
Flip wrote:the ridiculously terrible Monty Python is included
Okay, you don't exist.

Do you know why nowadays people dont release talkative movies in a high fake falsetto voice with long over the top obvious jokes? Because they arent funny.
 #157668  by Shrinweck
 Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:31 pm
For drama you should check out Luther and for comedy you should check out Peep Show. Both have been recently/currently produced, so nothing is lost in the relentless march of time. Both are also available on Netflix if you're still on that. Since they follow the 4-6 episodes a season thing that the UK pulls off, it isn't a terrible commitment, even if Peep Show is currently about to start producing its eighth season.
 #157689  by SineSwiper
 Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:48 pm
Flip wrote:Do you know why nowadays people dont release talkative movies in a high fake falsetto voice with long over the top obvious jokes? Because they arent funny.
Okay, they only had one chick, who was only around when they actually wanted somebody attractive. The woman in drag bits were there just to add to their style of comedy.

As a point of reference, before Monty Python (and hell, still today), comedy was centered around taking something normal and making it absurd. Just take a look at your crappy sitcoms, especially pre-2K. Or any of the teenage abominations they show on Nick/Disney. "Character X is doing some normal thing Y, until some absurd thing Z happens that they have to fix."

MP was centered around taking something absurd and making it look normal. Monty Python practically invented surreal comedy.

How can you not like some of the classics?

#157706  by Zeus
 Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:50 am
This is clearly a partitioned thread....

Let me get this straight: Flip, you don't think Monty Python is funny?
 #157711  by Flip
 Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:11 am
Well, most of my opinion is formed from the movies (Holy Grail and Life of Brian), i didnt watch the TV show, because it simply wasnt my (or our) generation or on TV here. I'm not even sure how people our age got exposed to such a thing, i dont remember it ever being on any of our channels.

Regardless, catch phrases annoy me, long jokes annoy me, and high fake falsetto's annoy me. Those knights that say Ni are an example of ALL of this and it drives me nuts when someone says Ni. Absurdist humor, while i get it, i just dont think is very funny. The Life of Brian is entirely set up on one joke!

I have a buddy who does standup comedy and i like to go to his shows, he is really funny and so are his friends. Sometimes they also do improv, which I have seen, and THAT is annoying. Monty Python reminds me of someone who is over acting in improv with exaggerated facial expressions and tone of voice. Its like stage acting, which is also awful.

British women are awesome, everything else British sucks :P (food, humor, products, etc) Well, they did a good job with the Olympics, though!
 #157717  by Zeus
 Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:14 pm
Most of us would only know Monty Python from the movies since Fawlty Towers didn't really air here. And you could practically include A Fish Called Wanda and Fierce Creatures in there as almost-Monty Python movies.

You don't like them, you don't like them. I personally found them (and Benny Hill) hilarious. But British comedy is certainly a different breed than North American humour. I can see why it won't resonate with a lot of people.

And yes, there are a lot of smokin' hot British women
 #157726  by kali o.
 Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:47 pm
I never liked Monty Python, even the "good stuff". For whatever reason though, I loved Fawlty Towers, Black Adder and, somewhat related, Red Dwarf. Pretty sure it was PBS that introduced me to one (or all 3) a looooong time ago. I remember they'd have these marathons or whatever, and offer free t-shirts and shit if you called in.

PS - I have no idea why zeus is referring to John Cleese and whatever he does as 'monty python'.
 #157730  by SineSwiper
 Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:24 pm
I have rented and watched a bunch of Flying Circus many years ago, and I do acknowledge that there were some shaky skits. Not everything was top comedy, but the gems you found were worth looking for. And some of the best ones had some of the dumbest absurdities:

Although, now that I think about it, with lobotomies being the norm back then, it probably had even more weight as social commentary.
 #157735  by Zeus
 Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:28 pm
kali o. wrote:I never liked Monty Python, even the "good stuff". For whatever reason though, I loved Fawlty Towers, Black Adder and, somewhat related, Red Dwarf. Pretty sure it was PBS that introduced me to one (or all 3) a looooong time ago. I remember they'd have these marathons or whatever, and offer free t-shirts and shit if you called in.

PS - I have no idea why zeus is referring to John Cleese and whatever he does as 'monty python'.
Fish Called Wanda and Fierce Creatures had more than Cleese in them
 #157737  by SineSwiper
 Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:46 pm
That doesn't mean you call them Monty Python movies. That's as incorrect as calling Brazil a Monty Python movie.
 #157749  by Zeus
 Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:10 am
SineSwiper wrote:That doesn't mean you call them Monty Python movies. That's as incorrect as calling Brazil a Monty Python movie.
I did say "practically". IMO, they had not only multiple cast members but were British productions with British humour. They certainly didn't feel like American productions and were closer to a Monty Python-type film than an American comedy

Gilliam's films are nothing like his time with Python. Notice how I didn't include 12 Monkeys in there....
 #157753  by kali o.
 Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:10 pm
Nothing remotely accurate about calling Fawlty Towers "Monty Python". Nothing remotely accurate about calling FCW or Fierce Creatures "practically Monty Python".

It's obviously not a big issue, it's just strange to see you do it. It's like if you start calling everything Jim Carrey is in "In Living Color".