The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• The Amazing Spider-man

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #156957  by Eric
 Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:03 pm
Is goddamn Amazing. :)

Loved it, darker, faithful to the glorious comic material.

Only thing I will concede is that his mask did come off far more then it should have.
 #157008  by Chris
 Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:36 am
yeah I really liked it. I won't say I liked it more than The Avengers...I'm actually not sure if I did or not. I just know I loved it
 #158192  by Shrinweck
 Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:51 am
Mixed feelings on this.
Spoiler: show
At first I thought that construction crane/worker stuff was the silliest shit in the world. And then I thought it was a good way to explain how Spider-man can freely swing through the city on into the future. And then I thought why the hell does that even matter? It's a super hero movie. I really don't need to know the monotony of his method of conveyance.

This back and forth basically describes how I felt about everything throughout the entire movie. If it isn't establishing motivation for the super hero or villain to smash shit up, it doesn't really belong. As a whole this movie is good but if you start examining stuff.. ugh..

He gets shot and there's no exit wound but he basically just wanders home. He gets 'saved' by the villain by giving him an arm up. At this point couldn't he just climb? I hate artificial moments to provoke emotion and this movie was just filled to them brim with them. Characters that were barely even established and offed (Sheen, Leary) and I'm supposed to feel something because they play a moving track? I hate being this guy, but I hate being manipulated by music to make up for writing that should really be better even more.

Ignoring the stuff that pissed me off I can see this franchise being more likeable than Raimi's but knock it off with the forced tear jerking moments. This is some of the best acting I've seen from Emma Stone. Sheen was good, but, he's fucking Martin Sheen, so duh. Leary was fun... was hoping they would have him ham it up more. Stan Lee's cameo was silly as hell in a good way. I felt a twinge of annoyance at the length of the cameo but then I realized he's Stan Lee and knocked it off. The action was better (other than the giant lizard mixing up chemicals in the high school lab to throw an exploding concoction at Spider-man... that was just silly).
 #158196  by Zeus
 Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:52 am
Chris wrote:yeah I really liked it. I won't say I liked it more than The Avengers...I'm actually not sure if I did or not. I just know I loved it
Is it better/worse than X-Men First Class?
 #158197  by Shrinweck
 Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:41 pm
I'd say it's better, but I really disliked nearly everything about First Class.
 #158203  by Zeus
 Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:06 pm
Shrinweck wrote:I'd say it's better, but I really disliked nearly everything about First Class.
You're a freakin' madman posting a view like that! Not only did nearly everyone here love it but it was also pretty well universally-love, getting an 87% on Rotten Tomatoes:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/x_men_first_class/

I'd be careful if I were you. You wanna be known as Zeus Jr. when it comes to movie tastes?
 #158209  by Shrinweck
 Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:32 pm
Haha, I don't care - I went to a wedding last year and mentioned my distaste for that movie and everyone at my table looked at me like I was fucking insane. The forum equivalent won't phase me, at least when it comes to the same movie. My favorite part of First Class was Hugh Jackman's 3 second cameo.

To me, First Class was the second worst X-Men movie so far. I'll watch a sequel because I'm a Marvel fanboy but not happily.
 #158213  by Zeus
 Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:17 pm
Shrinweck wrote:Haha, I don't care - I went to a wedding last year and mentioned my distaste for that movie and everyone at my table looked at me like I was fucking insane. The forum equivalent won't phase me, at least when it comes to the same movie. My favorite part of First Class was Hugh Jackman's 3 second cameo.

To me, First Class was the second worst X-Men movie so far. I'll watch a sequel because I'm a Marvel fanboy but not happily.
Well, I have to disagree with you on one thing: First Class was a better movie than Amazing Spiderman IMO
 #158215  by Julius Seeker
 Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:57 pm
I liked X-men First Class a lot better than the original trilogy and other comic book movies I've seen. Largely because of the tie-ins with history; and it has my favourite scene in a comic book film.

I remember how intense it was when I saw this in theater and the lines:

He comes in and is speaking Spanish, asking for a beer. Then he sees the picture on the wall identifying them as Nazis, and he switches his language to German when speaking to them.
Erik: "What brings you to Argentina?"
German 1 "The weather, it's good for pig farming."
German 2 "And I am a tailor, I have been my whole life. My father was the best in Dusseldorf."
The Germans laughing, in a way that shows that they're being mockingly dishonest about their obvious past; not knowing exactly who Erik is.
Erik: "My parents were also from Dusseldorf."
German 1 "What were their names?"
Erik "They had no names. They were taken from them by pig farmers and tailors."

That scene was Scarface awesome.
 #158222  by SineSwiper
 Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:31 pm
Julius Seeker wrote:That scene was Scarface awesome.
And then it went downhill from there. Magneto made that movie. The rest of the character performances were subpar, save a few Prof. X moments. Not saying it was a horrible movie. In fact, it was pretty good for being a "We're just making this movie to extend our property rights for a few more years" Sony movie. But, Marvel would have done much better with it. The "betrayal" of Magneto was about as forced as Anakin's switch in SW3.
 #158223  by SineSwiper
 Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:36 pm
SineSwiper wrote:"We're just making this movie to extend our property rights for a few more years" Sony movie
And on that same note, fuck Amazing Spiderman.
 #158226  by Julius Seeker
 Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:31 pm
SineSwiper wrote:
Julius Seeker wrote:That scene was Scarface awesome.
And then it went downhill from there. Magneto made that movie. The rest of the character performances were subpar, save a few Prof. X moments. Not saying it was a horrible movie. In fact, it was pretty good for being a "We're just making this movie to extend our property rights for a few more years" Sony movie. But, Marvel would have done much better with it. The "betrayal" of Magneto was about as forced as Anakin's switch in SW3.
Heh, I am not really much interested in comic book movies to begin with; but I do enjoy the animated TV shows of Spiderman and Xmen - and Batman movies. I do agree that the movie was at its best in the beginning sequences.

As for forced turn, ever date a girl with borderline personality disorder? Pretty much every very attractive girl who is inexplicably single over the age of 23/24 seemed to have it to some extent; people like Anakin are much more understandable when you know that people like that are actually out there.

On Erik though, I somewhat felt his character was already there from the beginning, and that Charles was just reigning him in. There were some huge historical parallels there; Erik was more like Malcolm X and Charles was like King - except with mutant powers =P

I also enjoyed Kevin Bacon's rendition of Sebastian Shaw - very Bond villain-like. A fascist group of mutants (they were called the Inner Circle in the cartoon), working behind the scenes to bring about open warfare between the western world and the soviet bloc so that Mutants could come to the fore-front.

Anyway, on the Amazing Spiderman, I haven't given it a shot. I was not really fond of the other Spiderman movies. I might some day if I get some convincing.
 #158229  by SineSwiper
 Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:48 pm
Julius Seeker wrote:As for forced turn, ever date a girl with borderline personality disorder? Pretty much every very attractive girl who is inexplicably single over the age of 23/24 seemed to have it to some extent; people like Anakin are much more understandable when you know that people like that are actually out there.
 #158234  by Zeus
 Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:57 pm
SineSwiper wrote:
SineSwiper wrote:"We're just making this movie to extend our property rights for a few more years" Sony movie
Sine, everyone here seems to like Spidey and it's got a good overall rating on Rotten Tomatoes. Are you sure you want to be known as Zeus Jr. when it comes to movie tastes?
 #158238  by kali o.
 Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:29 pm
I haven't seen spiderman, but First Class sucked ass (Bacon aside). It's a series that was in no need of a reboot, let alone a teen reboot. At least the Star Trek reboot made sense.
 #158242  by SineSwiper
 Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:45 pm
Zeus wrote:
SineSwiper wrote:
Sine, everyone here seems to like Spidey and it's got a good overall rating on Rotten Tomatoes. Are you sure you want to be known as Zeus Jr. when it comes to movie tastes?
Movie tastes? This has nothing to do with movie tastes. I've never seen the movie, and I probably never will. I have no idea if the movie is any good or not.

But, regardless, fuck them. On that same note.
 #158244  by KluYa
 Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:58 am
Whatever you want to say about First Class, it was better than the ridiculous X-Men III Last Stand flick.

I felt underwhelmed by Amazing Spiderman. It had its moments but I actually think I like Tobey's first movie better as an overall flick.
 #158246  by Julius Seeker
 Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:15 am
kali o. wrote:I haven't seen spiderman, but First Class sucked ass (Bacon aside). It's a series that was in no need of a reboot, let alone a teen reboot. At least the Star Trek reboot made sense.
First Class wasn't a reboot by any means, it was a prequel.
 #158248  by Zeus
 Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:14 am
SineSwiper wrote:Movie tastes? This has nothing to do with movie tastes. I've never seen the movie, and I probably never will. I have no idea if the movie is any good or not.

But, regardless, fuck them. On that same note.
Just giving you a friendly warning, man. Around here, going against popular opinion when it comes to movies puts you periously close to be branded as one without taste.
 #158249  by Zeus
 Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:18 am
kali o. wrote:I haven't seen spiderman, but First Class sucked ass (Bacon aside). It's a series that was in no need of a reboot, let alone a teen reboot. At least the Star Trek reboot made sense.
Didn't Sebastian Shaw seem as basically the exact same character as Magneto in nearly every way? Different powers, of course, but other than that, everything else (motivation, mutant vs human mentality, finding and "turning" mutants to his side, having those reject his ways form a "good" team against him, etc.) was almost a carbon copy of Magneto.

I was asking my bud who's a huge comic nerd about this (and he loved the movie) and he said it was pretty close to what the character is in the comics and how a lot of X-Men villains are like that. I just thought this was a particularly strong likeness.