The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Jon Stewart taking a 3-month hiatus in the summer

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #159737  by Zeus
 Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:34 pm
He's gonna direct a film and take some additional time off. Where the hell are all the 18-29 year-olds gonna get their news now? :-)

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/03/05/jo ... ver-to-sub

Oliver will take over while he's gone so it's not all gonna be re-runs
 #159740  by Shrinweck
 Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:51 pm
He deserves it.. the amount of work he must put in to do what he does is probably crazy. I haven't regularly watched the Daily Show in four or five years... I should probably start again.

Also I'm 26 and I read the newspaper and peruse the BBC website for the majority of my news :P Actually considering how shitty the Atlanta newspaper is I should probably stop and start watching the Daily Show again.
 #159745  by Flip
 Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:23 am
I dont like John Oliver as a replacement, i think he will make it sound too hokey and too much like the Colbert Report. Stewart does a good job of being sarcastic and funny while not being in a character. Oliver's short bits on the show are always in fake voice character and im not sure he can just be normal like Stewart, but i guess we'l see. I do watch Daily Show a couple times a week, usually, and i prefer it to Colbert Report.

The channel doesnt need two Colbert Reports in a row, which i think is what it will turn out to feel like with Oliver's current style, unless he changes things up.
 #159748  by Zeus
 Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:31 am
Eric wrote:I'm already looking forward to the episode where he returns and takes power back from John Oliver lol.
Yeah, you know they'll play that up real good. Should be entertaining :-)

Flip - I see what you mean and you could be right. Let's hope not. But it looks like it'll only be a few weeks (3-4) with re-runs the rest of the time. So at worst it's just a month of not watching. Personally, I prefer Colbert more than Stewart but don't want the same type of show twice either
 #159784  by SineSwiper
 Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:16 pm
Flip wrote:I dont like John Oliver as a replacement, i think he will make it sound too hokey and too much like the Colbert Report. Stewart does a good job of being sarcastic and funny while not being in a character. Oliver's short bits on the show are always in fake voice character and im not sure he can just be normal like Stewart, but i guess we'l see. I do watch Daily Show a couple times a week, usually, and i prefer it to Colbert Report.
He might be able to get away with dialing it down a bit with his semi-normal voice, since he probably doesn't want to keep up the act every day for the full 30 minutes.