The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• New Order

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #160249  by Julius Seeker
 Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:44 pm
They're a band I don't think I have made a post about them here since some time in the 90's or early 2000's, but I'm a fairly big fan.

BLUE MONDAY

The song is fairly good, but I like the 90's alternative cover a little better. This is probably New Order's most played song, but it is also their most overrated. The B-side, The Beach, is a more enjoyable song in my opinion.

THE PERFECT KISS

This is a personal favourite of mine. The first video is the original single which is more or less the more radio friendly version. The second is like the extended directors cut - essentially it has a lot of additional foreplay and a WAY longer and more intense climax, the song itself is about 9 minutes long - there is a silence and credits at the end of the video. There was a medium 8-minute version released on substance, their 1987 compilation album that contained remixes and remasters of their singles up to that point, and was my favourite album. You might notice some similarities in this song to some of the melodies from Joy Division - although New Order presents it in a much bigger and glorious sounding synth recording.

SUB CULTURE

This is largely the same as the 1985 12 inch b-side remix, but with all of the cliche DJ-crap filler pulled out of it. The A-side version of the song has a lot of raw sounds, including vocals, I just don't enjoy it as much - it lacks the haunting underground sound of this one.

TRUE FAITH

Another great song, there is a fairly fucked up story about this one: a well-groomed French Canadian played this song during a video where he murdered his gay lover, and then it went viral on the Internet. This led to speculation as to whether or not he was influenced by the film American Psycho which also featured the same song in its opening sequence... This earned him the title "the Canadian Psycho." The great irony is that some sources in the Canadian press blamed American Hollywood, when this film was in fact a Canadian film. True Faith was the lead single created for the Compilation album Substance, this is the first album it appeared on.

BIZARRE LOVE TRIANGLE

A shorter version of this song was first released on New Order's studio recorded 1986 album Brotherhood, but I like this version on Substance more, it's a richer experience.

MURDER

This is an instrumental recording that takes some samples from films around this time period. Definitely some of their Joy Division days leaking over... Although the drum beat sounds a little like a Boney M song.
 #160259  by kali o.
 Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:07 pm
It's funny to me that you like New Order, since you are generally pretty pissy on 80's music (and you like a Tatu cover of a Morrissey song more than the original...fucking hell... Oo ) but that said, if you like New Order that much, you should probably pick up the Electronic albums too. Or at the very least the Best Of... album.

Getting Away With It

Reality

Disappointed

Dark Angel
 #160260  by kali o.
 Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:12 am
Somewhat off topic, but I can't help it...

How Soon is Now?
 #160317  by Julius Seeker
 Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:49 am
The version of How Soon is Now I like is the Tatu cover studio recorded version. I don't like the singing in either of those versions of How Soon is now you posted =)

I'll check out more Electronic. I haven't heard this stuff before and I really liked Getting Away With It.
 #160322  by SineSwiper
 Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:29 am
Sigh, and nobody posted the Snake River Conspiracy version...?

You guys should be fucking ashamed of yourselves...
 #160324  by kali o.
 Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:56 pm
You know, speaking of covers that suck (which I am hoping was your point, Sine, lol) I found this while I was looking for the TaTu cover:

Forever Young:
 #160340  by SineSwiper
 Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:19 am
kali o. wrote:You know, speaking of covers that suck (which I am hoping was your point, Sine, lol)
Quite the opposite. Much better cover than the other two you posted.

Oh, and I wasn't the one that posted the Tatu version, a band who's only quality is that people think they are Russian lesbians.
 #160346  by kali o.
 Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:54 pm
SineSwiper wrote:Quite the opposite. Much better cover than the other two you posted.

Oh, and I wasn't the one that posted the Tatu version, a band who's only quality is that people think they are Russian lesbians.
*Tries to follow Sine's Tatu point* Oww. My head hurts... /sigh

But the headache you gave me aside, Morrissey/The Smiths isn't a cover of How Soon is Now?, it's the original. Just fyi.
 #160352  by SineSwiper
 Wed May 01, 2013 6:58 am
Oh, for some reason, I thought it was a Beatles tune.