The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Batman in Batman vs Superman will be played by.....

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #161461  by Anarky
 Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:51 pm
Some of the better tweets I saw....

"Spend ten years working your way back into everyone's good graces. Win an Oscar. Then you get cast as Batman, and BAM! You're Gigli again."

"Ben Affleck is the new batman?? I don't even want to know how many cocks Kevin Smith had to suck for that to happen. #TerribleChoice"

"The internet seems to collectively feel like they're sitting in the back seat of a volkswagen with the Batman casting news..."

"A Wonder Woman movie would be too big a financial risk! We've decided to go with a proven moneymaker: A Ben Affleck superhero movie!"
 #161496  by SineSwiper
 Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:00 am
One, Ben Affleck has won an Oscar and is an excellent actor. I'll forgive him for his Daredevil performance, considering it was a terrible script, anyway.

Two, before The Dark Knight, everybody hated Heath Ledger, including when they announced him as the Joker. After seeing the movie, the world universally agreed that it was the best version of the Joker ever. (Even if it costed him his life.)

Three, there are different and better reasons to not see this, like "Why the hell are they rebooting Batman so early?" Granted, I know they are gearing up for a Justice League, but this sort of rehashing of IP (Spiderman, X-Men, Batman, etc.) is just going to drive it into the ground until the public is sick of this shit.

Superhero movies are the new Westerns of the 50's. I hate to say that I'm just starting to get tired of it.
 #161505  by Eric
 Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:54 pm
Meh, Ben Affleck usually plays Ben Affleck in all of his films. He's not a good character actor.

Christian Bale played Bruce Wayne/Batman.
Heath Ledger played the Joker.

Ben Affleck is going to play Ben Affleck playing Bruce Wayne/Batman. Similar to how George Clooney played George Clooney playing Bruce Wayne/Batman.

I hope I'm wrong, but I'm just not expecting that much.

Good news is low expectations usually result in more enjoyment when the film is finally released!
 #161506  by Shrinweck
 Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:46 pm
Yeah.. he won an Oscar for Best Picture. Sure he starred in it but the picture was what won. Not denying he's talented but Batman? I don't know.. It feels like there are so many choices out there that fans could possibly be confident in. This was not one of them.
 #161513  by Zeus
 Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:35 pm
Eric wrote:I swear to god, I came here to post this news, and I was gonna be like "I know there's a Zeusism for Ben Affleck's name, do it Zeus, DO IT" lol.
Of course you knew there was a Zeus-ism. I've been using it for over a decade :-)
 #161519  by Lox
 Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:31 am
I like Affleck and I think he's a decent actor. I have problems separating him from his characters though. So, like with Christian Bale, I see him as Batman and I say "That's Batman." I see him in American Psycho and I say "That's Patrick Bateman." I see Ben Affleck in a role and I say "That's Ben Affleck playing someone else."
 #161522  by Zeus
 Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:59 pm
Lox wrote:I like Affleck and I think he's a decent actor. I have problems separating him from his characters though. So, like with Christian Bale, I see him as Batman and I say "That's Batman." I see him in American Psycho and I say "That's Patrick Bateman." I see Ben Affleck in a role and I say "That's Ben Affleck playing someone else."
That's exactly why he's not a good actor. That's the same thing you would say about Keanu Reeves and Bruce Willis and no one is giving them an Oscar for best actor (they just know how to choose better films than Asscrack). He should stay behind the camera where he belongs
 #161529  by SineSwiper
 Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:04 pm
Then who are good actors? I'm curious, because half of the ones that I hear as being good suffer from the same "he plays himself" problem.
 #161538  by SineSwiper
 Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:58 am
Then who? Who are better actors than Ben Affleck? For example, what made Christian Bale a good Batman?

Was it his growly voice when he was Batman? Most people hated that.
Was it his body build? He was skin and bones prior to the role, so that's changeable for anybody.
Was it his emotional range? A lot of actors have that, including Ben.

What stood out that said "Christian Bale is a great actor and he plays a great Batman"? If you can't answer that question, then what the hell are we debating about?
 #161541  by Zeus
 Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:08 pm
Hold on, Sine. Are you asking who would be a better Batman or are you trying to figure out who we consider to be a "good" actor? Major difference as there's only ever been one good Batman: Michael Keaton. I know, it's so weird that he's turned out to easily be the best Batman in any movie or TV show ever but that's just the reality of it. I remember joining the outcry in 1989 when he was chosen thinking there was no way he could pull off being either Bruce Wayne or Batman but he did both very well. Part of it is he's actually a pretty decent actor (I'd put him at Brad Pitt's level, light years ahead of DiFaggio or Asscrack but not nearly as good as some of the greats) and the rest is he actually just fit the roll well.

As for who'd be a good Batman/Bruce Wayne? Hmm, I'd have to think about that for a bit. But Asscrack is certainly NOT a good choice for multiple reasons, including his lack of acting ability (he's NOT a good actor), the baggage he brings with him (it ain't by accident he's been basically banned from big-budget films), and the basic look he has, which just doesn't fit Batman. Then again, I always thought that Bale wasn't a particularly good Batman either. I mean, how can you have an actor who has a very odd and distinctive (not in a good way) mouth-area play Batman? It just looks wrong.

Now if you're asking who's a good actor in general? Well, that's a different thread altogether
 #161553  by Flip
 Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:28 pm
To answer what makes Bale a good batman, you have to look at his other movies. Bale doesnt just play Bale when he can do movies like The Machinist, American Psycho, and The Fighter. All of those roles are very different and he nailed them all, so yeah, he is a pretty good actor.
 #161557  by SineSwiper
 Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:16 pm
Zeus wrote:Hold on, Sine. Are you asking who would be a better Batman or are you trying to figure out who we consider to be a "good" actor?
A bit of both. I'm trying to figure out why people think they are qualified to judge actors and actresses when they are pretty vague on the whys and wherefores.
Zeus wrote:Major difference as there's only ever been one good Batman: Michael Keaton. I know, it's so weird that he's turned out to easily be the best Batman in any movie or TV show ever but that's just the reality of it. I remember joining the outcry in 1989 when he was chosen thinking there was no way he could pull off being either Bruce Wayne or Batman but he did both very well. Part of it is he's actually a pretty decent actor (I'd put him at Brad Pitt's level, light years ahead of DiFaggio or Asscrack but not nearly as good as some of the greats) and the rest is he actually just fit the roll well.
Ummm...what? Are you serious? Mr. Mom?

And you're taking that lesson of Keaton surprising you, and hypocritically throwing that away when it comes to Affleck? I think there's something to be said about how actors surprise people in different roles when they shit on them for no good reason.

Take Eisenberg. Dave White called him "the guy you get when you can't get Michael Cera". Then The Social Network came out, to which he was nominated 20 times for Best Actor. People don't confuse him with Cera any more.
Zeus wrote:But Asscrack is certainly NOT a good choice for multiple reasons, including his lack of acting ability (he's NOT a good actor), the baggage he brings with him (it ain't by accident he's been basically banned from big-budget films)
Banned? Like from Batman... which is an indie no-name label, right?
Zeus wrote:I mean, how can you have an actor who has a very odd and distinctive (not in a good way) mouth-area play Batman? It just looks wrong.
Okay, maybe I shouldn't have asked your opinion on this one because I have no fucking clue how your head works. His mouth is wrong?!
 #161576  by Zeus
 Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:47 pm
Easier just to list my responses:

1) The "whys" and "wherefores" are pretty simple: can someone play a variety of rolls where they show that they're not just playing the same thing over and over again? The perfect example of a great actor is Gary Oldman. Most of his rolls you can hardly tell it's him, like Dracula or True Romance. And even when he plays the "straight" guy, like he did in The Contender or Batman, they're still very different. Even Pacino or DeNiro, when he cares to challenge himself. Unfortunately, that's happen very rarely other than the late 70s, early 80s (Godfather, Taxi Driver, Deer Hunter, Raging Bull) and then again in the early 90s (Goodfellas, Awakenings, Frankenstein). Other than that, he's just accepted the money that comes with his typecasting but that don't mean he ain't a great actor like he's showed in the past.

Then you get guys like Keanu Reeves, Bruce Willis, DiFaggio, or Asscrack. They are pretty much the same character/person in every film they've done. That don't mean their films suck (well, in Asscrack's case, they pretty much all do except for Gone, Baby, Gone; and no, I didn't like The Town) but the films certainly aren't made better due to their performances. They're little more than plugs. There's a specific performance they can deliver and it fits the movies they're in. The first 3 have been in some of my favourite films of all time (Matrix, Die Hard, Inception, Titanic just to name a few) but I don't consider them to be great actors, none of them. They don't drag films down due to their performances (unlike, say, Asston Kutcher) but they don't enhance them, either.

2) Yes, very serious. Michael Keaton is a MUCH better actor than people wanna give him credit for, kinda like Brad Pitt. They're not in the upper echelon like Oldman but they're significantly above the plugs like Reeves or Willis. And he has, at this point, delivered easily the best Batman on-screen that we've seen. It's not even close

Asscrack has never surprised me with his acting ability....ever. His best rolls are in Kevin Smith films and that's because he's hammin' it up with Damon and Smith uses them well. I've NEVER liked his acting ability and he has never given me a reason to change his mind. He should just stay behind the camera, he's better there.

Eisenberg is a plug. Cera's act is old

3) Yes, banned. Paycheck (2003) was the last big-budget film he was in. Since then, it's been a series of dramas and directing gigs with Oscar noms to get back into one for next year. That's 11 years, that's being banned. And look at the HUGE outcry that's happening because of it. People haven't forgotten.....

4) Yes, his mouth. When Christian Bale smiles or even talks, his mouth looks a bit odd. It's very distinctive but not necessarily in a good way. Considering that's all you see of him for half the film, I found it an odd choice. His performance as Batman (sadly, second-best behind Keaton; although I do have a soft spot for West) never redeemed him like Ledger's did for the Joker

And for the record: I'm pretty neutral on Bale in general. He just wasn't right for Batman
 #161668  by SineSwiper
 Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:46 pm

It actually says "NO BAT NIPPLES". Twice.
 #161693  by SineSwiper
 Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:01 pm
WTF? Nothing? Seriously? This is comedy gold here.
 #161703  by Zeus
 Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:13 am
SineSwiper wrote:WTF? Nothing? Seriously? This is comedy gold here.
Fun but not earth-shatteringly funny
 #162058  by KluYa
 Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:53 pm
Just want to affirm that Ben Affleck is a lot better behind the camera than in front of it. Don't mind him as an actor but it's pretty hard to deny that imo.

Zeus go make an NHL topic in DS.
 #162062  by Zeus
 Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:39 pm
KluYa wrote:Just want to affirm that Ben Affleck is a lot better behind the camera than in front of it. Don't mind him as an actor but it's pretty hard to deny that imo.

Zeus go make an NHL topic in DS.
Yeah, he should stay behind the camera. But unfortunately that ain't happening

You start it and I'll contribute, deal? :thumbup: