The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Gravity

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #162167  by SineSwiper
 Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:45 pm
The movie tells more in 90 minutes than most movies tell in 2-3 hours. Fantastic.

Also, one of the few 3D movies that didn't totally fuck up the experience. Even the difference between the 3D movie and the 3D previews were jarring. It's like these other films just want to give you 2-3 different Z planes with extreme perspectives. That just makes my eyes hurt. But, Gravity's 3D was subtle, realistic, and focused more on the movie itself than some cheesy wow effect.
 #162173  by Zeus
 Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:35 am
My fear of the movie is this: it's a few fucking cool, kick-ass 3D scenes in outer-space and 75 minutes of Bullock and Clooney acting, often over-dramatically, sometimes hitting Claire-Danes-from-Homeland-level overacting but not quite (that's a pretty high plateau to try and reach). Is that the case?
 #162180  by SineSwiper
 Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:24 pm
Zeus wrote:My fear of the movie is this: it's a few fucking cool, kick-ass 3D scenes in outer-space and 75 minutes of Bullock and Clooney acting, often over-dramatically, sometimes hitting Claire-Danes-from-Homeland-level overacting but not quite (that's a pretty high plateau to try and reach). Is that the case?
No, not at all. The whole movie is both cool and emotional from start to finish.

There are some artistic liberties taken with some of the science and NASA geekery (which has been discussed at length), but it's still one of the most accurate space movies out there.
 #162191  by Lox
 Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:43 am
Yeah, that movie was excellent. It was one of only 2 movies I've ever seen in IMAX 3D and thought "that was worth the extra money", too.

It's just the right length, which I love.
 #162207  by SineSwiper
 Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:59 pm
Lox wrote:It's just the right length, which I love.
I'm actually not one for 90 minute movies, but this one worked, because you can only stretch a story like that so far.