The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Golden Globes and Academy Awards Results

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #164960  by Julius Seeker
 Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:45 am
Does anyone here actually still watch awards shows? I have to admit, I would be lying if I wasn't at least curious about who wins these things each year. Plus the Golden Globes hosting has been great the last 6 shows.

Best Picture
Oscars: Birdman
Golden Globes Drama: Boyhood
Golden Globes Comedy: Grand Budapest Hotel

Best Director
Oscars: Alejandro González Iñárritu (Birdman)
Golden Globes: Richard Linlater (Boyhood)

Best Original Music Score
Oscars: Glory, by Common (Selma)
Golden Globes: Johann Johannsson (theory of Everything)

Best Original Screenplay
Oscars: Alejandro González Iñárritu (Birdman)
Golden Globes: Alejandro González Iñárritu (Birdman)

Best Actress
Oscars: Julianne Moore (Still Alice)
Golden Globes Drama: Julianne Moore (Still Alice)
Golden Globes Comedy: Amy Adams (Big Eyes)

Best Actor
Oscars: Eddie Redmayne (Theory of Everything)
Golden Globes Drama: Eddie Redmayne (Theory of Everything)
Golden Globes Comedy: Michael Keaton (Birdman)

#165014  by Flip
 Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:41 pm
I heard a good movie critic on the radio before the Oscars talk about how he wanted Keaton to win best actor so badly, but he just knew deep inside his heart that the little twerp from the Stephen Hawking movie would probably get it instead. Its like a golden rule that any actor who plays a mentally handicapped person, cripple, or otherwise hanicapped individual wins the thing. Didnt some Adam Sandler movie make fun of that? "You cant go full retard, though."

He also just hated that movie. I havent seen it, but supposedly its the most formulaic love story ever, just completely boring with no surprises. Granted, its (loosely) based on real life, so i guess yu cant fault it if that is how it really happened.
 #165024  by Eric
 Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:17 pm
Flip wrote:I heard a good movie critic on the radio before the Oscars talk about how he wanted Keaton to win best actor so badly, but he just knew deep inside his heart that the little twerp from the Stephen Hawking movie would probably get it instead. Its like a golden rule that any actor who plays a mentally handicapped person, cripple, or otherwise hanicapped individual wins the thing. Didnt some Adam Sandler movie make fun of that? "You cant go full retard, though."

He also just hated that movie. I havent seen it, but supposedly its the most formulaic love story ever, just completely boring with no surprises. Granted, its (loosely) based on real life, so i guess yu cant fault it if that is how it really happened.
Tropic Thunder!