The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Transmetropolitan

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #166297  by Replay
 Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:24 am
We don't really have an active written-word/graphic novels forum, so I guess this can go here.

Fantastic comic series I am reading at last. Spider Jerusalem, the protagonist, has been referred to as the Hunter Thompson of comics. One of the most honest human works on the political process. Can be gotten on Comixology for very reasonable rates.

#166331  by SineSwiper
 Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:57 am
Yeah, read it several years ago. Highly recommended!
 #166392  by Replay
 Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:40 am
Thanks Brendan. Hope all is well.
 #166456  by Replay
 Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:52 am
Putting in a bump on this one. I'm about 70% of the way through it all and wow, as the series goes on, some part of it is going to hit you right in the chest.

It takes on very serious stuff and adult subject matter - child prostitution, political pedophilia, homelessness and transience of all kinds, political murder and extortion - and transhumanism, and the predicted problems of a society that has by then learned to reengineer the body and basic notions of humanity itself. It is undeniably foul-mouthed, dirty, indeed frequently outright filthy - but it may be among the most honest works of fiction I've ever read, at least in its depiction of reality.

The "24th century" of the book is very clearly both a fantastic story setting - and an extended metaphor for all the shit in OUR society we aren't dealing with properly.