The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Fuller House

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #167754  by Julius Seeker
 Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:15 am
Wow! They captured the lameness of the original show so accurately that I am going to have to watch.

Kimmy and Jesse have barely aged.
 #167757  by kali o.
 Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:50 am
The fuck...what bizarro universe exists where a "reboot" of Full House is justified....?

....?!? Nothing about that was good and I am scared.
 #167758  by Eric
 Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:32 am
Looks awful, have fun watching Seek. :)
 #167760  by Julius Seeker
 Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:47 am
Haha, I may watch part of the first episode just to see what happened. I didn't watch more than a few episodes of the original show, but I know enough about it.

Apparently the Olsen twins didn't want to join the cast because they were afraid of damaging their image because they can't act.
 #167762  by ManaMan
 Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:43 am
The show looks gloriously bad. Totally 90s cheesy sitcom, very accurate reproduction.

I loved that show when I was a kid.
 #167768  by Oracle
 Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:39 pm
Burn it with freaking fire.

Even the Olsen twins won't touch this steaming heap, lol. "Schdule conflicts"... sure :)
 #167779  by Replay
 Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:55 am
kali o. wrote:The fuck...what bizarro universe exists where a "reboot" of Full House is justified....?

I find it hilarious that thus far, we have seen only truly terrible television to strike fear into your heart. It does have a certain Groundhog Day-like quality to it, doesn't it?

Sort of the same vibe as Bill Murray watching that episode of Jeopardy at the end of the movie, knowing all the answers already, with no hope whatsoever in his eyes and looking for all the world like he's going to shoot himself if he has to go through that day even one more time.
 #168068  by kali o.
 Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:07 pm
Replay wrote:
kali o. wrote:The fuck...what bizarro universe exists where a "reboot" of Full House is justified....?

I find it hilarious that thus far, we have seen only truly terrible television to strike fear into your heart. It does have a certain Groundhog Day-like quality to it, doesn't it?

Sort of the same vibe as Bill Murray watching that episode of Jeopardy at the end of the movie, knowing all the answers already, with no hope whatsoever in his eyes and looking for all the world like he's going to shoot himself if he has to go through that day even one more time.
Yeah....

....What?!
 #168072  by Replay
 Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:02 pm
kali o. wrote:
Replay wrote:

Yeah....

....What?!

Never seen the film?

#168073  by Replay
 Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:12 pm
Hearing that Fuller House had been remade in the first place, much less renewed for a second season...well, it's not quite reliving the same day of television over and over and over until you can answer every question Trebek asks before he asks it. But you can see it from there.
 #168080  by ManaMan
 Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:39 pm
I watched the first three episodes with my wife and... well, Todd VanDefWeff from Vox puts it best:

Fuller House review: Netflix's Full House sequel isn't just a bad show. It's an inescapable nightmare.
Imagine finding a favorite old stuffed animal in the back of your childhood bedroom's closet, hugging it, and then breathing in its slightly musty, dusty scent. It's not the same as it used to be, but you might experience a nostalgia contact high for a few moments.

That's Fuller House in a nutshell.
The first two episodes we actually liked. Good shot of nostalgia for a show we both liked as kids. By the third when all of the adults from the first series were absent we completely lost interest and stopped watching.
 #168090  by Julius Seeker
 Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:34 pm
Watching it right now with a big 'ol glass of Rye. I'm OK with the series featuring DJ, Stephanie, and Kimmie Gibler, because they were the only characters I cared about when I was a kid.

On episode 3 now. I think I am going to like this show.

First episode was really cringeworthy.

Second one I forgot.

Third one is funnier than the others, has them out clubbing. Macy Grey is there, and she is really unpopular these days because there's only like 25-30 people at the club. DJ has really bad DJish jokes, Kimmie is Kimmie, and looks like an old version of my in-law niece. Lots of innuendo, and, Jodie Sweetin has big breasts now.

I wonder if they'll have a Roseanne or Married with Children sequel series?
 #168094  by Julius Seeker
 Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:49 am
DJ becomes less lame as the series goes on.

Lots more innuendo. Makes me wonder if the original series had this.

Surprisingly large number of alcohol and drug references, especially in regards to Jodie Sweetin.

They turned "Steve" (he was someone in the original series) into 40 year old Milhouse.
 #168095  by ManaMan
 Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:52 am
Talking about Jodie Sweetin... one thing that's definitely "full" is her bra.
 #168096  by Replay
 Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:08 am
ManaMan wrote:Talking about Jodie Sweetin... one thing that's definitely "full" is her bra.
That's what happens when you become a mom.

Fun facts: You may remember that I grew up in L.A. and indeed in and around Hollywood at various points.

As such I have a friend who was very good friends with Jodie. She's had a hard life.

Like a lot of child stars, she got into drugs early and had a real lack of good guidance. She also had a baby with someone who didn't really care about her or the baby. Despite all that, from what I hear, she's a kind and good person; just one who fell into the usual Hollywood traps, which is not at all hard to do.

Basically, she was in bad, bad trouble for a long time - and while I have no plans at all to watch Fuller House, it's nice to see her working again and engaged in healthy and productive work.

In between jerking off over her tits - try to remember that she's a person, Mana, if you can.

Thanks.
 #168097  by Julius Seeker
 Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:29 pm
Stephanie Tanner (Jodie Sweetin), Jackson Fuller, and Ramona Gibler are the three standout characters in my opinion.
 #168100  by kali o.
 Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:20 pm
Replay wrote:
In between jerking off over her tits - try to remember that she's a person, Mana, if you can.

Thanks.
I can't speak for mana, but I plan to jerk off while fantasizing severely violent misogynistic treatment of little Miss Stephanie...she's gonna look up at me, bare breasted, bruised, tearful and whimper..."how rude..."...

......Urrrrrgggghhhhh!

Ahhhhh.....

ZZZZZZZzzzzz......
 #168101  by Eric
 Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:31 pm
kali o. wrote:
Replay wrote:

Thanks.
I can't speak for mana, but I plan to jerk off while fantasizing severely violent misogynistic treatment of little Miss Stephanie...she's gonna look up at me, bare breasted, bruised, tearful and whimper..."how rude..."...

......Urrrrrgggghhhhh!

Ahhhhh.....

ZZZZZZZzzzzz......
You're awful ;p
 #168104  by ManaMan
 Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:53 am
Replay wrote:
ManaMan wrote:Talking about Jodie Sweetin... one thing that's definitely "full" is her bra.
That's what happens when you become a mom.

Fun facts: You may remember that I grew up in L.A. and indeed in and around Hollywood at various points.

As such I have a friend who was very good friends with Jodie. She's had a hard life.

Like a lot of child stars, she got into drugs early and had a real lack of good guidance. She also had a baby with someone who didn't really care about her or the baby. Despite all that, from what I hear, she's a kind and good person; just one who fell into the usual Hollywood traps, which is not at all hard to do.

Basically, she was in bad, bad trouble for a long time - and while I have no plans at all to watch Fuller House, it's nice to see her working again and engaged in healthy and productive work.

Thanks.
So much to unpack here.... Yoda said it best:

Seriously, it was a fucking joke.

If you'd actually WATCHED the show you'd know her big tits are a running gag on the show. Get over yourself.
kali o. wrote:I can't speak for mana, but I plan to jerk off while fantasizing severely violent misogynistic treatment of little Miss Stephanie...she's gonna look up at me, bare breasted, bruised, tearful and whimper..."how rude..."...

......Urrrrrgggghhhhh!

Ahhhhh.....

ZZZZZZZzzzzz......
That..... was sure something. Thanks for sharing.
Last edited by ManaMan on Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #168107  by kali o.
 Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:29 am
ManaMan wrote: That..... was sure something. Thanks for sharing.
Manaman said it best...

Seriously, it was a fucking joke. :D

Pfftt...it wasnt subtle and had all sorts of clever contextual layers. Wasted on you philistines...wasted!!!
 #168108  by Julius Seeker
 Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:36 pm
My Review,

I really enjoyed it. I am going to focus on what episode 3-13 were like, because the first episode is a reunion episode, and the second episode is a bit transitional. The third episode is where the flavour of the new show starts to come out.

Overall, Fuller House has less of the formulaic stuff than that made up original Full House, although they do have homages from time to time. It still maintains some of the lame humour of prior show, but they merge it in with adult humour; other shows like Simpsons, Disney stuff, and Fresh Prince have done this sort of stuff. Speaking of Fresh Prince, there's one episode which has a particularly dark/emotional ending - Fresh Prince had one of these per season, and they were usually considered the best moments of the show.

On the characters:

Danny Tanner, Uncle Jesse, Uncle Joey, and Vicky have taken on a recurring character role. Danny is the typical father/grandfather type, he kind of reminds me of my father in law. Joey is the guy who babysits the kids from time to time. Becky is back and much improved over the original; she's funny now. Jesse is either a vampire, or they put him in a freezer during the 90s and just let him out now. Of the originals, Jesse and Becky feel like they mesh the best with the new show.

DJ (Tanner) Fuller is presented as the main character of the series, she's now a ~40 year old single widowed mother of three boys; pretty much the reverse of Full House. She tends to get the majority of the lame Full-Houseish jokes when Uncle Joey isn't around. She's a character with a comfort zone, and she gets frequently pulled out of it, and that is usually the conflicts in her stories.

Stephanie Tanner, in my opinion, is the standout character. She's come back after living the life of an independent woman, and has had some success. She's dabbled in sex, drugs, and rock and roll - which fills the position of Uncle Jesse from the original, but takes it in a different direction; a much sharper edge in my opinion. She's the source of many of the adult jokes, ranging from masturbation, to "deviant" sex stuff, and drugs; it's stated in the show that she at least is info marijuana. I think she's going to be the popular character of the adults on the show.

Kimmy Gibbler is Kimmy Gibbler, but now with alcohol. She has a much bigger role in this show.

Ramona and Jackson are both interesting characters in that they actually act like 13 year olds; which is different than the Simpsons/South Park trend where the children are not really children, but more like adults that have a child's avatar and live in a child's world; or Dawson's Creek where the teenagers all seem to have the attitude of pretentious middle aged women. They're actually very interesting characters with some funny stories, and the issues that seem relevant to them are similar to my younger siblings. They fit really well into the show.

Max is the competitive middle child, he'll probably turn out gay.

Baby Tommy is baby Tommy. He ages noticeably in the last few episodes.

Overall, I liked the show quite a bit. Much more than I thought I would since I really wasn't that big of a fan of the original series and it had negative reviews from most critics. I look forward to watching the second season when it's on, and I hope it's successful because I want to keep watching new episodes for years to come.
 #168109  by Replay
 Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:39 am
ManaMan wrote:If you'd actually WATCHED the show you'd know her big tits are a running gag on the show. Get over yourself.
Yeah? :D That's what you were riffing on - the show's joking about her bust size? That and only that?

Good to hear you have the utmost respect for Jodie and what she's been through. In fact, I'm so sorry to have misjudged you, Mana! The writers are riffing on her tits after all - so you should do it too, here on our collective and mostly anonymous message board. :)

And I perpetuated this horrible behavior even *after* you made it so easy to distinguish between "the show makes jokes about her tits, so I'm going to as well" and "I genuinely care about this actress' well-being" to boot.

Poor me, I just seem to lack the context as always, it seems.

Good to hear it, Mana. Glad we had this talk.
 #168110  by Replay
 Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:45 am
For my part - I've always thought Mayim Bialik was an interesting, intelligent actress!

I think I'll go show it not by talking about her achievements and degree in neuroscience, or the causes she promotes and is passionate about. Instead I'll wax poetic about her cup size.

See? :) I can be taught! I'm learning to adapt my behavior here after all to the community standards you all adopted in my absence.

*shrug*

I honestly wish some of you could be more honest about yourselves. You'd be more honest about the world too.

But I'm tired of beating my head against a wall trying to make it happen.
 #168274  by Shellie
 Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:58 am
I didn't read ALL of the responses, but I was a huge fan of Full House, what girl of the 90's wasnt?

I had to watch the first ep, I am not a fan of Candace Cameron, and she is annoying as hell in this series. It was a cute throwback, but I won't be watching the rest.