The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Here's a little survey about the relationship between age and choice in music...

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #47563  by ManaMan
 Sun Oct 28, 2001 11:49 am
<div style='font: 12pt Helvetica; text-align: left; '>1- How old are you?

2- Do you mainly listen to one (or more) particular style(s) of music? If so, which one(s)?

3- Do you consider yourself one of those people who likes "all different kinds of music"?

4- Which bands/artists/djs do you consider your favorite as of right now?

5- Do you listen to pretty much the same music you listened to 3 years ago?

6- Do you listen to pretty much whatevers on top of the pop charts at a given time?

7- Do you consider your musical taste to be primarily "underground" music?

8- How many CDs have you bought in the last 3 months? What CDs were they?

9- How often do you use music swapping applications to get your music? Or do you use them at all?

10- Have you been to a concert this past year? If so, how many and who did you go to see?

11- Do new bands interest you at all?

12- What is/are the style(s) of music you can't stand?

13- Do your friends listen to pretty much the same style of music as you?</div>
 #47564  by Stephen
 Sun Oct 28, 2001 3:45 pm
<div style='font: 10pt Arial; text-align: left; '>1- How old are you?

2- Do you mainly listen to one (or more) particular style(s) of music? If so, which one(s)?

-- My genres of choice are, in order, classical, film and game soundtracks, techno, and rap.

3- Do you consider yourself one of those people who likes "all different kinds of music"?

-- Not really. I can tolerate most kinds, but "tolerate" and "enjoy" are two distinct concepts.

Classical: Dmitri Shostakovich (my personal favorite), Giya Kancheli, Alfred Schnittke, Astor Piazolla, Jean Sibelius.
Film/Game Soundtrack: Danny Elfman, Elliot Goldenthal, John Williams, Yoko Kanno (primarily for Cowboy Bebop), George Oldziey, Hans Zimmer, Osamu Tezuka and Nobuo Uematsu.
Techno: Hybrid, Chemical Brothers, Crystal Method
Rap: No particular favorites, just anything with funny, clever lyrics.

-- No.

6- Do you listen to pretty much whatevers on top of the pop charts at a given time?

-- No.

-- Jesus, no.

1) Henryk Gorecki, Symphony No. 3
2) Alfred Schnittke and Giya Kancheli, Works for Viola
3) Jin-Roh soundtrack
4) Lost Universe BGM Vol. 1
5) Messiaen, Quartet for the End of Time
6) Sergey Zhukov, Concerto Mystery & Concerto Grosso

9- How often do you use music swapping applications to get your music? Or do you use them at all?

-- I generally don't use them, largely because of my slow dial-up connection and the fact that I buy most CDs used.

10- Have you been to a concert this past year? If so, how many and who did you go to see?

-- Two. One was the Kremlin Chamber Orchestra, which I saw for free at my college. The second was some country singer (Dwight somebody). I was dragged to that one.

-- Sure.

-- Nu metal (Limp Bizkit, Fear Factory, or anything with angry boys raging against whatever they can think of). Anything where the singers croon out sentimental lyrics about the minutiae of existence--lost loves, lost pets, themselves.

13- Do your friends listen to pretty much the same style of music as you?

-- I know a fair number of people who listen to techno, film and game soundtracks. Classical's definitely a niche genre, so few of my peers are active listeners, but I know one or two.</div>
 #47565  by Shellie
 Sun Oct 28, 2001 6:00 pm
<div style='font: bold 10pt arial; text-align: left; '>
1- How old are you?
almost 24!
many...industrial, some techno, hard rock, strong female vocalists
somewhat, I can listen to most music, minus a few genres
Bjork, Ani Difranco, Hooverphonic, Aphrodite, Front 242, Skinny Puppy, Silverman, uhm, a ton more
heck no lol.. 3 years ago I was still trying to find my style of music...I would ave a different genre every week...goth, death metal, 80's, top 40...etc
no.
not really
too many....probably close to 60 (Ear X-tacy had a sidewalk sale!)
I use them, I have 10G on my hd now of mp3s...but if I really like an artist I will buy their cds
yes! Ani Difranco :)
sure if theyre decent, why not
gangsta rap, I can stand listening to some R&B, but I dont voluntairily choose it, Growling death metal...why do they have to ruin such good hard music with growling? ugh
some do, some have no idea who the hell Bjork or Ani Difranco is...its all about Brittney Spears...*gag*</div>
 #47566  by Lee
 Sun Oct 28, 2001 6:29 pm
<div style='font: 10pt Arial; text-align: left; '>1- How old are you?

Criminey, I listen to such a wide variety of music that I find it difficult to list my genres. Most people that listen to the playlists I make wonder what the hell I'm doing, they're so off-the-wall. All forms of rock (from classic to hard to metal), techno (trance, house, etc.), instrumental (film and game soundtracks, classical), rap (are there even subgenres to rap?), and so on and so forth.

Honestly, yes. The only genre of music that I've yet to find a single solitary song I enjoy is country. I keep waiting for the day when I come across just one song that will capture my attention in there, though.

At this moment I find myself listening to a lot of Linkin Park, Garbage, Jamiroquai, Elliott Smith, Jay Z, Simon and Garfunkel, Daft Punk, ATB, Rush, Yoko Kanno, and whoever the hell did the music for Gundam Wing, because I can't stop playing tracks from <i>Endless Waltz</i>, despite how much I hated watching it. I've been cycling through all these names for the past couple of weeks.

Oh, hell no. Three years ago I wasn't listening to nearly this much techno, and I detested rap.

Not really. A lot of the time I wonder how some of those songs even get up there.

Primarily, no. That's not to say that I don't occasionally go to mp3.com and hunt around for new "garage bands" that have those fateful one-hit wonders. But I put an emphasis on the word "occasionally."

I honestly can't remember the last time I bought a CD. It's been well over a year, I'm pretty sure. Maybe more than that.

I found ways to get what I wanted in the music scene <i>before</i> the days of Napster and all its subsequent clones. When the MiniDisc became the new hot item, I had to be one of the first kids on my block to have it, and I've been using it ever since.

Not a one. I can't remember the last time I went to a concert. It seems like the only ones we ever have in this neck of the woods are big country stars which I've never heard of.

Sure, I love seeing new groups pop out of the woodwork, and I'm usually willing to give most of them a shot.

Country is the one single genre of music that I've never been able to listen to, and believe me, I've tried. My ex-girlfriend was a "Jack of All Trades" music lover like myself, but didn't listen to classical music, opting instead to replace it with country. We eventually had to enter into an agreement in which I wouldn't play my Holst or Kanno around her in exchange for her never again playing Garth Brooks around me.

Since I listen to so many different kinds of music, yes, almost all my friends listen to at least <i>some</i> of the same styles that I do.

--Lee S.</div>
 #47567  by SineSwiper
 Sun Oct 28, 2001 8:46 pm
<div style='font: 11pt "EngraversGothic BT", "Copperplate Gothic Light"; text-align: left; '>
1- How old are you?
23, as of two days ago.
Electronica. Used to listen to British progressive rock for the longest time (basically my parents' taste in music), but I discovered electronica and found a new groove.
Heh, who doesn't? I consider that to be one of those "job interview type" answers to first date questions, in regard to relationships. But, here lately I've found viable groups in almost all forms of music except country and "R&B".
Hybrid, BT, Chem Bros, Crys Meth, Aphex Twin, Curve, Garbage, Orbital, Orzic Tentacles, Paul Oakenfold, Sandra Collins, Sasha...I have too many.
Not really. I slowly learn to appreciate the finer points of certain genres when I become exposed to the more progressive artists of their field. For example, I didn't start to get into rap until I listen to the white rappers have their chance and when rap-metal started to get popular. I really didn't like trance that much until I heard some better artists turn it into a canvas for creativity. Overall, it actually took me a while to get into most of the sub-genres of electronica (and they keep inventing new ones).
Hell no. Top 40 stations make me sick. Hard rock stations are only mildly amusing, as most of the bands are pretty bland. I could listen (and enjoy) to most electronica casually, if I wanted to, but that's only because I've heard the same guitar/drum/bass/vocal pattern for the past 15 years, and electronica hasn't bored me yet.
Yeah. It's getting more popular, but the top 40 hits still put up these fucking stupid bad house tunes (boom-chee-boom-chee-boom-chee) with Aqua-like lyrics. I'm hopeful when groups like Crystal Method and The Wiseguys actually gets some MTV airplay.
I just went to a sidewalk sale and we bought a shitload (too many) CDs for 12 cents to 3 bucks each. I haven't gone through them all yet. Including that, I've bought CDs from VAST, BT, Hybrid, Tin Star, Haujobb, Bionic Jive, Better Daze, Seven Channels, Pluto Rising, Sunna, Crystal Method, Q-Burns Abstract Message, as well as a bunch of DJ mix CDs. Of course, my wishlist is still large (most of this stuff wasn't even on there).
Fairly often, though I believe in at least getting a physical copy of the album (with the covers and all), unless I don't like it. I've ripped the newest Garbage and Orbital albums but not bought them just because they suck (but come from artists that I really like).
Yeah, Shellie just dragged me into an Ani DiFranco concert a week ago. Not bad, but I missed my chance to go to a ICP concert with a friend of mine. It would be nice when concerts didn't cost $30-90 per ticket.
Always. I'm always on a quest for new music. Nothing is more exciting than finding a new band that you like with a new album that you've heard for the first time, fresh with ideas that you haven't heard of and notes you haven't felt before.
Anything simplistic, like country or bluegrass. R&B grates my nerves, too. Basically anything that puts lyrics before music. Music is music, not poetry with a few notes on top of it. You can't get away with a song that contains some singing and a few notes on the piano (Tori Amos...), or strums on the guitar (any folk singer), or beats on the drum machine (most rap/R&B singers).
Yes and no. Same genres, but we clash with the details. Same with Shellie, but it can clash even more (especially when she like 80's music and other oddities).</div>
 #47568  by Gentz
 Sun Oct 28, 2001 9:07 pm
<div style='font: 11pt arial; text-align: left; '><I>1- How old are you?</i>

20 in December

<i>2- Do you mainly listen to one (or more) particular style(s) of music? If so, which one(s)?</I>

I don't really listen to any specific genres. I like music that appeals to me more on its own merit.

<i>3- Do you consider yourself one of those people who likes "all different kinds of music"?</i>

Again, no. My musical tastes are rather varied, but I don't listen to specific styles.

<i>4- Which bands/artists/djs do you consider your favorite as of right now? </i>

Radiohead, They Might Be Giants, Weezer, Aphex Twin (though I don't like Drukqs too much from what I've heard)

<i>5- Do you listen to pretty much the same music you listened to 3 years ago?</i>

3 years ago? Yes. 5 years ago? God no.

<i>6- Do you listen to pretty much whatevers on top of the pop charts at a given time?</i>

No.

<i>7- Do you consider your musical taste to be primarily "underground" music?</i>

I prefer less well-known and less-popular artists, but not necessarily underground. Though I don't really like stuff that's radio-friendly in any sense.

<i>8- How many CDs have you bought in the last 3 months? What CDs were they?</i>

Radiohead - Amnesiac. Weezer - Green Album. And I recently downloaded a bunch of tracks from Aphex Twin's Selected Ambient Works.

<i>9- How often do you use music swapping applications to get your music? Or do you use them at all?</i>

If I think of a song that I like, I download it. If it's a band that I like I'll buy their CD, but if I just like 1 or 2 songs I'm not going to. That's what music sharing programs are for and that's how most people use them. The RIAA is just a bunch of money-hungry morons in my opinion.

<i>10- Have you been to a concert this past year? If so, how many and who did you go to see?</i>

They Might Be Giants last semester. I was gonna see Radiohead in August but the goddamn tickets were almost 40 bucks and that's bullshit.

<i>11- Do new bands interest you at all?</i>

I'm not sure if I understand the question...You mean new bands in general or bands today that have recently sprung up? As for new bands in general, if they're good and original then yes they'll interest me. As for current bands, they're mostly utter garbage. They're either hardcore trying to be pop, or ridiculous gibberish-metal bands that care more about their makeup than their music.

<i>12- What is/are the style(s) of music you can't stand?</i>

R&B, most rap, most pop (the stuff that all sounds the same), bands that try to be humorous but are just morons (ie Bloodhound Gang)

<i>13- Do your friends listen to pretty much the same style of music as you?</i>

Most of my friends are punks and I don't like punk. Baldarov likes TMBG as much as I do, but he's an idiot otherwise :)</div>
 #47569  by Blotus
 Sun Oct 28, 2001 9:08 pm
<div style='font: 10pt "arial narrow"; text-align: left; padding: 0% 5% 0% 5%; '>
1- How old are you?
My musical tastes are very, very broad. Classical, Rock, Metal, Rap, Alternative, Punk... just about anything except country or sissy pop.
Oops. Just answered that one. Aye.
Sum 41, Aerosmith (rediscovering Get a Grip, great album), Gob
There's a little more rap now, but not much.
Yes, but that doesn't mean I like it all. Some of the stuff I enjoy, but for the "pop" charts, that some would be very few.
No, and I hate people who scorn anything and everything on the radio, or anything remotely popular. If you can't enjoy music just because other people do, you're retarded. You peopl know who you are.
None. No music CDs, anyway. I've bought less than ten music CDs in my life. Usually just burn 'em, or listen to mp3's/radio.
Often.
I was at Snowjam in Halifax. Treble Charger played (but weren't great), but I was so fucked up I don't remember much else.
Sure.
Repetitive dance/rave music. Same 2-10 beats repeated for 30 minutes. Craaaaaaaap. That, along with country and shitty pop (Britney, N'Sync, that kinda shit).
Not really. My tastes seem to be a lot broader than most of my chums. They generally stick to one or two genres each.</div>
 #47570  by Sephy
 Sun Oct 28, 2001 10:07 pm
<div style='font: 12pt "Times New Roman"; text-align: left; '>
1- How old are you?
Any kind of music, except country music. Ech
Yes, except country
Dave Matthews Band, OAR, Counting Crows, Ja Rule, Less Than Jake, Tupac, Zebrahead
No, its a lot more diverse
Hell no
Nope
None, I haven't gotten around to buying any recently
Every time I want a single song I use one. Which is maybe once a week.
Yes. I went to the HFStival and saw an assload of bands.
Sure
Country, except Faith Hill
Somewhat, some like older music I can't stand</div>
 #47571  by Lox
 Sun Oct 28, 2001 11:12 pm
<div style='font: bold 9pt ; text-align: left; '>
1- How old are you?
yup...metal metal and metal. I also like hard rock. Anything heavy usually. :)
not at all
Metallica, Pantera, Godsmack, Drain STH(hotties), Sepultura, Ozzy, Sabbath. I basically revolve around those bands, particulary Metallica, Pantera, and Godsmack. No matter what I listen to I always go back to those bands
Pretty much, maybe a little heavier.
No because it usually sucks ass.
Not really. A lot of stuff I like is not exactly what everyone else I know is listening to, but I also like a lot of stuff that others do.
Hmm...maybe 3 or 4. Slipknot's new one, Drain STH's 1st album, Alice in Chains: Dirt, can't remeber any more. :)
Not at all usually unless I want to see if I'll like a certain bands album.
Yup. Let's see...only 1 this year. I usually goto at least 3 or 4. It was a Godsmack concert. Incredible show.
Some do, some don't.
Rap, R&B, Pop
Pretty much. I'm usually heavier than they are.</div>

#47572  by Garford
 Sun Oct 28, 2001 11:33 pm
<div style='font: 10pt ; text-align: left; padding: 0% 0% 0% 8%; '>Enable it.... Seeker owes me something there.</div>
 #47573  by Garford
 Sun Oct 28, 2001 11:34 pm
<div style='font: 10pt ; text-align: left; padding: 0% 0% 0% 8%; '>
1- How old are you?
Jpop mainly, NOT the high pitch screaming type though.
Sort of
ELT, Globe, Zard, Brilliant Green, L`Arc~en~Ciel, Misia, Kuraki Mai, Utada Hikaru, Garbage, Corrs
Yup
No
Used to, but not lately since Japan fever had hit S'pore lately....
Hmm, around 5. Can recall buying Garbage, ELT, Utada Hikaru's and Misia's CD
Very often.
No.
Sort of.
Rap.
No</div>
 #47574  by Gone to Shakers
 Sun Oct 28, 2001 11:41 pm
<div style='font: 9pt ; text-align: left; '>1- How old are you?

I listen to anything I like. Tea Party is good, I like the classical/Rock sound to it. Rap is probably the type I listen to the most. I also like electronic influenced alternative, and grunge (Green River, Soundarden, old Nirvana).

Pretty much, but there's a lot of stuff I don't like.

Right now? Well, normally my favorite bands are bands I've listened to since I was younger. Right now, I'm listening to, The Tea Party, Sum 41, Jay-Z, Nickleback, Pink (Shut-up!), Matthew Good Band, Shaggy.

Not really, but I still listen to some of the same stuff I did 3 years ago.

It depends if it sucks or not. But mostly, yeah.

No, I mostly have the opinion that Underground music is there for a reason.

I honestly don't remember, but from what I do remember, Shaggy, the Tea Party, Econoline Crush (that was probably more than 3 months ago), D12 (same with that one, I got both D12 and Econoline Crush around the same time when they were released), Matt Good, Nickleback, Choclair, and I think that's it. Mostly I buy CD's after Christmas when I have some cash to blow on shit for myself.

Often, but normally if I really like what I hear, I buy the album.

Sum 41, Tea Party, Summersault (like 10 bands there), Gob, Edwin (old I Mother Earth singer), I Mother Earth, Limb Lifter, Maestro, and more that I will probably think of later.

Some do, some don't, it depends if they sound good to me.

Country, techno, crappy pop music from the 98/99 era, really heavy Electronic Metal bands who are depressed all the time and play boring music.

Yeah, just about, but 95% of the stuff that we listen to when we're driving or whatever is rap and chart toppers.</div>
 #47575  by Caddy Punk
 Sun Oct 28, 2001 11:53 pm
<div style='font: 9pt Arial, Tahoma, Verdana; text-align: left; '>
1- How old are you?
I like rock in general. Punk is my favorite. I like some alternative and ska, as long as I don't hear it too much. I also like Disneyland music...
Hell no. I'm not open minded at all. Dunno if thats good or bad.
Various punk bands hanging around the bottom of mp3.com's charts are pretty good. Midtown, Focus, Gigantor, to name a few...
Yup.
Nah, by the time anything I like gets to the top of the charts, I'm sick of listening to it.
Nope.
Nada.
I think I used Morpheus to get an old Weezer song last month... but don't know when was the last time I got music from one of those programs before that.
Actually... no. It's been a while for me...
Yup.
Country-Gone-Pop
Except for the Disneyland stuff, yup.

<b>Spoiler Message:<b>
<span style="background: black; color: black;">"In the tiki tiki tiki tiki tiki room! In the tiki tiki tiki tiki tiki room! All the birds sing words and the flowers bloom, in the tiki tiki tiki tiki tiki room!"</span></div>

#47578  by Gentz
 Sun Oct 28, 2001 11:56 pm
<div style='font: 11pt arial; text-align: left; '>Yeah, we've had 2 polls here in nearly as many weeks! That certainly constitutes an entire forum!</div>

#47580  by Gone to Shakers
 Sun Oct 28, 2001 11:59 pm
<div style='font: 9pt ; text-align: left; '>Says you hermes!........*checks Q'aires*.......CRAP! I didn't think anyone would find it =)</div>
 #47581  by Darx
 Mon Oct 29, 2001 1:12 am
<div style='font: 12pt ; text-align: left; '>
1- How old are you?
mainly rock and metal
No. I've given other stuff a chance...just doesn't appeal to me.
My favorite band is Tool. I've been a big fan for as long as I can remember, since Undertow came out, and back when Headbanger's Ball was on MTV. Alice in Chains is also an old favorite of mine...no longer a band though. Pink Floyd is also high on my list.
Yeah. I was a little more into the lighter alternative stuff, but it's not too big a jump from where I'm at now.
Not really. I've never been a big pop fan.
nope. Most of the stuff I listen to does get some radioplay.
Hmm...maybe 3 or 4. Bought the Tool CD, Staind's new one, System's Toxicity, and Ultraspank's Progress. I've been listening to Progress pretty much non-stop for the last month. Good shiat.
Very often. I'm all over morpheus.
I saw They Might Be Giants a little while ago, that was fun. I'm seeing Tool on the 30th and Ozzy and Rob Zombie on Halloween.
Sure I guess.
I'm not too tolerant of country or bubblegum pop.
Most of my old friends do. I'm guessing that's because growing up together we sorta shaped each other into it. Only a few of my friends in college like the same music I do...everyone else seems to like Dave, and no one else.</div>
 #47582  by Manshoon
 Mon Oct 29, 2001 1:39 am
<div style='font: 14pt "Times New Roman"; text-align: left; '>
1- How old are you?
Lately I've been listening to techno mostly, but I also listen to soundtracks (anime/VG/film), pop, and alternative (I know it's very general, but I'm too lazy to get more specific).
Yeah, all but 2.
Too many to list.
Yes but I've expanded my tastes. Since Napster came on the scene, I've been able to get introduced to new stuff that I actually enjoy. And plus I have Sine and his FTP to thank for getting me more exposure to techno.
Not all the time.
Not really.
None.
All the time. It so beats having it on a CD (not necessarily the price thing, just being able to get it instantly).
Concerts? In Alaska? Give me a break. Actually we did have Mystikal peforming here but I wasn't a big fan of his so I didn't go.
I don't actively seek them out, but if I happen to hear something by them that I like, chance are I'll check them out more.
Country and death metal
It's more of an overlap.</div>

#47583  by Garford
 Mon Oct 29, 2001 5:09 am
<div style='font: 10pt ; text-align: left; padding: 0% 0% 0% 8%; '><b>Link:</b> <a href="http://resonatorsoft.org/tows/cgi-bin/r ... .cgi">It's still listed here.....</a>

Lah lah lah</div>

#47584  by silver_moon
 Mon Oct 29, 2001 5:56 am
<div style='font: 10pt ; text-align: left; '>
1- How old are you?
depends on my interest at that time... lately i've been listening to chinese music though
i think so
stefanie sun yanzi (or a chinese singer, since i believe most of you don't know her :) )
nope, my music source was mtv 3 years ago, and i hardly watch them anymore
no
nope, i'm more mainstream...
ummm.... none :P
i use audiogalaxy whenever i feel the urge to get a particular music
umm... no, never been to concerts...
if their music suit my taste, then yes.
music with lots of screaming in it :P
yup</div>

K

#47585  by Imakeholesinu
 Mon Oct 29, 2001 10:48 am
<div style='font: 10pt Arial; text-align: left; '>
1- How old are you?
Classical, Jazz, Alternative Rock, Techno, Punk, Emo.
No I hate country.
Moby, Yoko Kanno, The Seatbelts, Adema, Weezer, Linkin Park, Papa Roach, LTJ Bukem, Bjork, Mozart, Pete Tong, Brian Eno, Blink 182, Sum 41, Fenix TX, Hed p.e., Puddle of Mud, Staind, Morphine, Radiohead.
Same style? Yes minus Jazz. Same exact songs, no.
Hehe, no.
No.
5, Moby's B-sides album, Linkin Park Hybrid Theory, Diffuser, Incubus Make Yourself, Portishead Dummy.
I probably use them if I hear a really cool song I want to hear again.
Unfortunatly no.
Depends on who you are talking about.
Country, New Age, Soft Rock, Classic Rock, Most Rap and R&B, Christain/gospel.
No.</div>

#47586  by Lee
 Mon Oct 29, 2001 12:17 pm
<div style='font: 10pt Arial; text-align: left; '>I always thought that The Seatbelts was just a group put together BY Yoko Kanno for the express purpose of creating the music for Cowboy Bebop. Are they an actual band, then? And if so, what have they done besides CB? Because Morpheus turns up nothing but CB results.</div>

#47587  by SineSwiper
 Mon Oct 29, 2001 1:53 pm
<div style='font: 11pt "EngraversGothic BT", "Copperplate Gothic Light"; text-align: left; '>I liked the fact that the polls would sit there so that everybody would answer them.</div>

#47588  by Imakeholesinu
 Mon Oct 29, 2001 2:00 pm
<div style='font: 10pt Arial; text-align: left; '>I'm not sure Lee, I remember reading somewhere a long time ago that they were like some french Jazz band.</div>

#47589  by ManaMan
 Mon Oct 29, 2001 4:33 pm
<div style='font: 12pt Helvetica; text-align: left; '>Disneyland stuff?</div>

#47592  by Caddy Punk
 Mon Oct 29, 2001 9:33 pm
<div style='font: 9pt Arial, Tahoma, Verdana; text-align: left; '>Yup. Mostly Adventureland and New Orleans Square ;)</div>
 #47594  by Ganath
 Tue Oct 30, 2001 12:12 am
<div style='font: 12pt ; text-align: left; '>
1- How old are you?
Rock, classical, orchestral, instrumental.
More or less, but some more than others. I like some of a wide variety, some J-pop, some rap, even some country. But generally, a good 80% of anything I like is from one of the groups from question 2.
Probably Smashing Pumpkins, System of a Down, Sponge, and a few others.
More or less. The same type mostly, although I've broadened my taste a bit. And I still listen to the same songs every now and then.
I listen to whatever sounds good to me. If I don't like it, I change the station or return the CD, top of the charts or not.
Nope.
None. I usually either grab obscure stuff from the Internet as mp3, or listen to the more popular stuff via radio.
Quite often, although I'm having problems finding a stable one... damnit.
No I have not.
If the music is good.
Generally country and a good amount of rap, although there are some exceptions.
Pretty much, although I think they tend to listen more primarially to rock than I do.</div>

#47596  by Ishamael
 Tue Oct 30, 2001 12:27 am
<div style='font: 14pt "Sans Serif"; text-align: justify; padding: 0% 15% 0% 15%; '>Bah. That's just something G-man told you since I didn't subcombe to his overtures like you.</div>

#47597  by Ishamael
 Tue Oct 30, 2001 12:28 am
<div style='font: 14pt "Sans Serif"; text-align: justify; padding: 0% 15% 0% 15%; '>Whatcho cracka ass talkin' 'bout?</div>

#47598  by Ishamael
 Tue Oct 30, 2001 12:29 am
<div style='font: 14pt "Sans Serif"; text-align: justify; padding: 0% 15% 0% 15%; '>Bitch! That's just what your girl said to deflect attention from us.</div>
 #47603  by Slappy White
 Tue Oct 30, 2001 11:13 am
<div style='font: 9pt ; text-align: left; '>
1- How old are you?
Metal, Industrial, Rock, Rap, Techno, Trance, Classical, Punk, yada yada yada
I know I am.
Favorite at the moment? I always Like Garbage and I would consider tham my favorite. But I find that I have favorite songs more than favorite artists. Some bands completely suck ass but have that one song that rules.
Same bands? Same album? What do you mean? I'm constantly buying new stuff but always bring out the older stuff once in awhile.
HA! Never! Yea, I find some bands from the radio but I hear music radio so little. I listen to AM talk radio usually.
Primarily? No... But I have alot of stuff that unusual or "underground" I suppose.
Last 3 months... Hmm, 20-25 maybe? What were they? I don't knowthem all. They were... Bjork (new), Butthole Suffers (new), At The Gates, Entombed, No One, Nonpoint, Tenacious D, Garbage (new) and a bunch of others.
I use them sometimes.
I don't think I did.
Yes, always interested in new stuff.
Greatful Dead, Daves Mathews & Phish can take a bullet
I guess. I have something for everyone.</div>
 #47604  by Torgo
 Tue Oct 30, 2001 11:56 am
<div style='font: 9pt Arial; text-align: left; '>
1- How old are you?
If you look at my playlist you'll see a lot guitar instrumentals, misc rock, jazz, and orchestral/classical stuff.
I like a lot of songs from different genres because they appeal to me musically or lyrically(which doesnt happen often), but I wouldn't say that I like all kinds of music.
Yngwie Malmsteen, Frank Zappa, Joe Satriani, Steve Vai. In the film/game score category, Danny Elfman, Hans Zimmer, Yoko Kanno, Yasunori Mitsuda, Hitoshi Sakimoto, Masaharu Iwata, and pretty much every Konami sound team.
Pretty much, though I was introduced to Primus earlier this year.
*snicker*
I don't think so...
Not that many, now that I think about it. Ennio Moricone Collection, Godzilla 2000 Score, and The Producers Original Broadway Cast Recording.
Whenever I feel like hearing a particular song, or when I'm introduced to a new band and want to hear more of their stuff.
Just one, a Bosstones concert.
Nope.
Hip Hop, Boy/Girl Pop, Country, R&B.
Um, one guy on my floor has actuall heard of Joe Satriani. Other than that, no.</div>

#47612  by Slappy White
 Wed Oct 31, 2001 12:20 pm
<div style='font: 9pt ; text-align: left; '>Is Joe Satriani really that unknown? Anyway. Danny Elfmans Batman Returns soundtrack is one of my favorites.</div>
 #47613  by Derithian
 Wed Oct 31, 2001 1:14 pm
<div style='font: italic bold 14pt ; text-align: center; '>
1- How old are you?
Nope
Yep
Rancid, Cocksparrer, The Business, The Skatellites, Johnny Cash, Buddy Holly
yeah
NO!
YEs
none
yeah, I borrow and burn. that's swapping enough. easier than mp3 downloading on a 28k connection
yes. The Tragically Hip, The Dropkick Murphys, Rancid, The Business, The Skatallites, and my band many many times
not really, no
new country,
some.......but no.</div>
 #47614  by Slappy White
 Wed Oct 31, 2001 2:08 pm
<div style='font: 9pt ; text-align: left; '>DO you have "My Life in The Bush of Ghosts?" by Brian Eno? If not, you should get it. Easily his best stuff. This next item isn't Brian Eno it's by David Byrne who was in The Talking Heads and worked on Bush of Ghosts with Eno. (Eno produced all Talking Heads stuff) It's called "The Catherine Wheel" (not the band) it's a musical score from a play Bryne did. It's great!

<a href="http://cdnow.com/cgi-bin/mserver/SID=67 ... h_txt">The Catherine Wheel</a></div>
 #47615  by Slappy White
 Wed Oct 31, 2001 2:15 pm
<div style='font: 9pt ; text-align: left; '>Here is some more from CDnow...

"Byrne produced two solo projects during this time that were experimental in scope. One of them, My Life in the Bush of Ghosts, was one of the first hip-hop albums ever produced. Byrne, along with collaborator Brian Eno, was one of the first to sample voices and sounds, such as a real exorcism, a talk radio announcer, and a Lebanese mountain singer. They created a funky avant-garde house party that has since been copied many times over.

The other solo project for Byrne was the complete score from the Broadway production of The Catherine Wheel. This modern dance piece was choreographed and directed by Twyla Tharp and premiered in September of 1981 in New York City for a limited run. I happened to stumble over a taped performance on PBS a couple of years later. The story has something to do with modern technology, paranoia, and a man rubbing Styrofoam over his body. I was really watching it for the background music, which I had already owned and loved.

The Catherine Wheel, in my opinion, was strange, experimental, and original for its time. Twenty years later the world has finally caught up with it. This album is a great companion to current albums recorded by artists like Orbital, Moby, Orb, and Underworld. It could have been an appropriate soundtrack for any David Lynch film.

The album has 23 pieces, six with Byrne vocals including "His Wife Refused," "Poison," and "What a Day that Was." The last title was later reworked and recorded for the live Talking Heads' Stop Making Sense tour and soundtrack.

Another vocal track is "Eggs in a Briar Patch," which is a prayer/confessional accompanied by a clock tick percussion and the lyrics: "Lord, I have been such a bad boy / I've been disobedient / I made mistakes / I made blunders."

The instrumentals are spacey ambient pieces such as "Light Path," "Cloud Clamber," and "The Blue Flame." Some have a Philip Glass minimalism sound. All of the songs have great synthesizer parts and polyrhythm percussion -- sounds that were later explored in future Talking Heads albums, and Byrne's trans-world label, Luaka-Bop.

This is a true conceptual solo album with Byrne writing, producing, and performing the majority of the musical parts. However, there are also some great guest star performances. Yogi Horton, John Chernoff, and Steve Scales do wonderful percussion work. Eno (ex-Roxy Music), Bernie Worrell (Parliament/Funkadelic), and Jerry Harrison (fellow Talking Head, and ex-member of Modern Lovers) provide synth, organ, and piano parts, and Adrian Belew (King Crimson) adds his patented unearthly guitar to a couple of the tracks. It all works great together."</div>
 #47616  by Imakeholesinu
 Wed Oct 31, 2001 4:42 pm
<div style='font: 10pt Arial; text-align: left; '>That's a lot of information that I had no idea about. I guess I should investigate that album you refered to then, which I shall as soon as I get my pay check from my work from two weeks ago. Have you looked into the compolation album "50,000,000 DJ's can't be wrong"? I want to get that. It's a two disc set.

I just recently started listening to my 'Art of Trance' stuff again and I can't for the life of me find the damn Anthony Paltipus Sunday Remix of 'Kaleidoscope' over here. It's available over in the UK but shipping will be more than the actual cost of the single and I'm spent as it is right now.</div>
 #47617  by Slappy White
 Wed Oct 31, 2001 5:33 pm
<div style='font: 9pt ; text-align: left; '>I'm listening to "The Catherine Wheel" right now. Oh and thx by the way, I haven't listened to it in probably a year or two. Anyway, it's great. I mean it's really really good. I actually posted some mp3's from the album before Napster got big. I've been trying to share this album with some people but the thing is it's a little strange for there tastes. But man the song(s) I'm listening to now Track 5 & 6 are so incredible (These are the songs I posted, pasted together as one mp3)... Anyway, I really hope you like it!

I don't know which album you should get first because they are equally excellent.

Let me know when and what you get.</div>

#47620  by SineSwiper
 Wed Oct 31, 2001 8:04 pm
<div style='font: 11pt "EngraversGothic BT", "Copperplate Gothic Light"; text-align: left; '>Joe's awesome! Surfing with the Alien!</div>

#47621  by SineSwiper
 Wed Oct 31, 2001 8:06 pm
<div style='font: 11pt "EngraversGothic BT", "Copperplate Gothic Light"; text-align: left; '>Misc useless fact that some people didn't know: Gorillaz = singer from Blur + everybody else from Talking Heads.</div>

#47622  by SineSwiper
 Wed Oct 31, 2001 8:56 pm
<div style='font: 11pt "EngraversGothic BT", "Copperplate Gothic Light"; text-align: left; '>No one on earth could create the sounds on a guitar that Adrian Belew has done. (Can Elephant Talk? Watch this...)</div>

#47624  by SineSwiper
 Wed Oct 31, 2001 9:46 pm
<div style='font: 11pt "EngraversGothic BT", "Copperplate Gothic Light"; text-align: left; '>Another useless fact about Gorillaz: The song "Clint Eastwood" is about LSD, possibly including the spiritual uses thereof.</div>

#47626  by Lee
 Wed Oct 31, 2001 10:19 pm
<div style='font: 10pt Arial; text-align: left; '>Maybe that's why it's so fucking stupid.</div>

#47627  by SineSwiper
 Thu Nov 01, 2001 10:53 am
<div style='font: 11pt "EngraversGothic BT", "Copperplate Gothic Light"; text-align: left; '>Bah! Murdoc could kick your ass. Hail Satan!</div>

#47631  by Imakeholesinu
 Sat Nov 03, 2001 9:25 am
<div style='font: 10pt Arial; text-align: left; '>Thought it was bout w33d. That's what 'sunshine in a bag' means right?</div>

#47633  by ManaMan
 Sat Nov 03, 2001 1:12 pm
<div style='font: 12pt Helvetica; text-align: left; '>Roots rock huh?</div>

#47634  by SineSwiper
 Sat Nov 03, 2001 2:06 pm
<div style='font: 11pt "EngraversGothic BT", "Copperplate Gothic Light"; text-align: left; '>Sunshine, in a drug context, almost always refers to acid. I'm not sure exactly what "sunshine in a bag" means. (A friend told me, and I forgot it.)</div>

#47659  by G-man Joe
 Mon Nov 05, 2001 1:19 pm
<div style='font: 11pt "comic sans MS"; text-align: left; '>You're damn tootin' I'm awesome!</div>