The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• So which of you were the first victims to see RE, the general opinion is if you like the game you dislike the movie, but if you don't know what the hell the game is the movie rocks.

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #48798  by Eric
 Sat Mar 16, 2002 9:34 pm
<div style='font: 11pt ; text-align: left; '>So which of you were the first victims to see RE, the general opinion is if you like the game you dislike the movie, but if you don't know what the hell the game is the movie rocks.</div>

#48799  by Blotus
 Sat Mar 16, 2002 9:38 pm
<div style='font: 10pt "arial narrow"; text-align: left; padding: 0% 5% 0% 5%; '>Bah, I probably won't be able to see it until next week. I actually want to see it now despite the whole "supercomputer" thing that so pissed me off earlier.</div>

#48800  by Zeus
 Sun Mar 17, 2002 12:54 am
<div style='font: 9pt ; text-align: left; '>I like the game and I liked the movie. It was surprisingly good. The super-computer thing scared me, but really wasn't a huge issue in the end. It and Mortal Kombat (the first) are the only good game movies I've ever seen</div>

#48803  by Stephen
 Sun Mar 17, 2002 1:37 am
<div style='font: 10pt Arial; text-align: left; '>I'm told it just sucks, regardless.</div>
 #48807  by Derithian
 Sun Mar 17, 2002 5:29 am
<div style='font: italic bold 14pt ; text-align: center; '>and is it just me or does the one main guy look like Max Payne. Even had the same attitude and facial expression. But the movie was pretty bad ass and you should see it</div>

#48811  by Tessian
 Sun Mar 17, 2002 1:53 pm
<div style='font: 11pt Dominion; text-align: left; '>I haven't seen it, nor have I played it, but the general consensus I got from customers and friends is the movie's pretty good. Now, Time Machine... no one I asked said that was good</div>

#48816  by Gentz
 Sun Mar 17, 2002 8:02 pm
<div style='font: 11pt arial; text-align: left; '>My friend saw it and called it the best game-to-movie conversion ever. He's probably the biggest RE fan I know too, so I trust him.</div>

#48818  by Kupek
 Sun Mar 17, 2002 11:15 pm
<div style='font: 10pt verdana; text-align: left; padding: 0% 10% 0% 10%; '>Mila Jovovich.</div>

#48820  by Kupek
 Sun Mar 17, 2002 11:20 pm
<div style='font: 10pt verdana; text-align: left; padding: 0% 10% 0% 10%; '><b>Link:</b> <a href="http://www.penny-arcade.com/view.php3?d ... 6&res=l</a>

I think my point is best made with this comic.</div>
 #48821  by WolfSamurai
 Mon Mar 18, 2002 12:25 am
<div style='font: 14pt Agatha; text-align: left; '>Fans of an already established series or whatever can either be supremely accepting of anything new or they can be hypercritical.</div>

#48822  by Gentz
 Mon Mar 18, 2002 12:57 am
<div style='font: 11pt arial; text-align: left; '>I think a game-to-movie conversion is a lot different from a movie-to-game conversion.</div>

#48830  by Kupek
 Mon Mar 18, 2002 3:04 am
<div style='font: 10pt verdana; text-align: left; padding: 0% 10% 0% 10%; '>That wasn't my point at all. My point was that since he's a huge RE fan, he might like it in spite of any suckiness.</div>

#48835  by Zeus
 Mon Mar 18, 2002 3:47 am
<div style='font: 9pt ; text-align: left; '>Yes, she's incredibly hot (and a fairly decent actress), but the movie itself is actually fairly good</div>
 #48838  by Gentz
 Mon Mar 18, 2002 4:25 am
<div style='font: 11pt arial; text-align: left; '>I'm saying that I think most people going in to see a movie based on a game series they like are going to go in with a bias <i>against</i> the movie, not for it. However, I think that the opposite is usually the case when playing a game based on a movie you like (which was the example you gave).

I think, when dealing with the game/movie idea, a game is like playing a movie, while a movie is like watching a game. If you're going to be playing a movie, certain aspects of the story and such can be understandably sacrificed for the sake of gameplay (and it's easier to forget about that stuff when you're actually playing rather than watching). But when you're watching a game they have to make up for the lack of playing enjoyment with something <i>damned</i> pleasurable to watch. Most people, I think, realize this on some level.</div>

#48843  by Kupek
 Mon Mar 18, 2002 3:31 pm
<div style='font: 10pt verdana; text-align: left; padding: 0% 10% 0% 10%; '>That's an interesting analysis, but I think it has more to do with the quality of the product itself. There are many horrible games-made-from-movies, but we don't remember them as well as the movies-made-from games because the movies get much more hype.</div>